“Party Time!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal

Save Saved
You added The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal to your Saves list
The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Playa Conchal, Bahia Brasilito, Playa Conchal 232-5150, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #1 of 3 hotels in Playa Conchal
Frisco, Texas
“Party Time!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

This was our second stop in our Honeymoon trip to CR. We first stayed at Nayara in Arenal, which I have posted a review for. Please check it out. This is a massive resort! be prepared to do a little walking from place to place; ie. gym, main pool, restauraunts, shopping. There are shuttles coming around 24-7, but we still chose to walk. The royal beach club is a necessity at this resort if you want tip top service. I would like to give a shoutout to Jonathon who made our stay exponentially better at the westin. Gracias, desde el fondo de mi corazón. Staying here gives you exclusive access to Faisanelli (the italian restaraunt and one of the best for dinner) during breakfast and lunch which we found very convenient. Also, there is an exclusive private saline pool which is very quiet and peaceful with RBC. Free roomservice is also a part of the all-inclusive wristband through the RBC.

We found Cauri (French) and Faisanelli (Italian) to be our two favorite restaraunts. If they are booked, you cannot go wrong with Mitra the main buffet and bar. Excellent food at all of these places. We found the service to be the best at Mitra (the main buffet).

A side note: Shout out to Eric Garcia, an event planner that works directly outside of the hotel grounds as soon as you enter the beach. Thank you so much for helping us plan a river safari adventure where we got to see white-faced capuchin monkeys, crocidiles, and all kinds of other birds! the guide was very informative and educated us about the sugar-cane plantations troughout CR, Guanacaste. This was just one of the many many adventure that we went on during our stay. His wife, GIGI has a massage tent that gave us a 70 minute massage for $30 a piece! what a value! it really beats the $150 the resort charges for their professionals. Plus, it was nice to hear the waves crashing behind us while we were pampered.
The resort makes it very apparent the these vendors, such as Eric, do not work for the hotel nor do they carry the same insurance, and gauruntees. But, we can assure you that the events he set us up with were a great value, and very safe. Thank you Eric for making our trip much more exciting.

Room Tip: As stated before, we stayed at the Royal beach Club. Rooms there are tip top. Although we werent i...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
WestinConchal, Public Relations Manager at The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Dear BirdDaddy,
Thank you so much for your comments!
So great to hear that you enjoyed your honeymoon with us, our facilities and the restaurants.
We hope to see you again in your anniversary!
Warm regards,

2,103 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (840)
Somerset, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Honestly this hotel was amazing! I never write reviews, but I had to for this one. We recently came back from a week long trip and I can't wait to go back. The hotel was clean, the staff was superb and the rooms were awesome. I woke up every morning, looked out on our porch and had a beautiful view of the river and sunbathing iguanas. They made my day! Of course you need to see Erik Garcia on the beach for any excursions that you're planning. He truly gives you the best price around. Trust me... I did my research! Definitely take a surfing lesson with the Point Break Surf School! Probably one of the most amazing experiences of the trip! All in all, this resort was one of the best I've been to. I can't wait to return in the future!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Dmy524,
Thank you so much for your kind comments, we are very happy that you enjoyed the resort and the wildlife!
We will love to have you again with us, hope you next visit soon!
Warm regards,

Fort Worth, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

First things first - if people have complaints about this resort, they must be ridiculously picky. My husband and I just returned from our honeymoon, and we had an absolutely amazing time. I'm normally not one to write reviews for places, but The Westin deserves it.

Arrival: I was in contact with the staff via email before our trip and they were SO helpful. They upgraded us to the Royal Beach Club and had a dinner reservation made for us for our first night. We entered our room to find chocolate covered strawberries and a bottle of wine. Our daytime concierge, John, knew our names after us telling him once. He had dinner reservations made for our entire stay within an hour of us being there.

Room: We were in RBC Tower 2, Room 2201. Awesome rainfall shower head, big bathroom, king size bed, balcony looked out onto the walking path (trees, animals, flowers, etc.). RBC gets premium liquors in the mini-fridge, refilled every day. I've seen people on here complain about room service being slow - yes, it generally took 30-40 minutes, but I don't think that's unreasonable to have your food cooked and delivered to you!

Staff: From the moment we arrived, the staff was amazing. Shout-outs to John and Bergin (our concierges at the RBC) and David at the pool. These guys made our stay AMAZING. Always friendly, always helpful, always attentive. Bergin even surprised us one night with champagne, flowers, candles, bubble bath. Every morning, there were guys cleaning out the pool by hand.

Food: We tried all the restaurants, and our favorites were Bamboo (asian fusion) and Las Candelas (latin). Of course, there were things we tried that we didn't love, but all around the food was fantastic. If you stay at the RBC, do yourself a favor and go to Faisanella for the buffet breakfast. It's fantastic. (Breakfast and lunch at Faisanella only available to those staying at RBC).

Excursions: You've read it on all the other reviews here, and it's true - Erik Garcia on the beach is the man to see for excursions. We did the horseback riding/ziplining and Rincon de la Vieja volcano tour with Carlos and it was awesome. Did the catamaran sunset snorkeling cruise through Lazy Lizard (arranged through Erik) and had a blast. Drinks, food, fish, beautiful sunset. Did the river cruise the last day of our stay and saw monkeys, crocs, birds, etc. Erik also sent us to his wife, Gigi, who gives massages right on the beach. Husband and I each got hour long massages for $20!

Overall: Amazing trip. I read Trip Advisor reviews for months before our stay, so I hope that this review will help those of you doing the same thing I did. We couldn't have asked for more for our honeymoon. It was so hard to come back home. Thanks to The Westin for making our stay unforgettable!

Room Tip: Upgrade to the Royal Beach Club. Concierge, adult-only pool with drink and food service right at yo...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Dana Z,
Thanks for taking the time to share your experience with us, we really appreciate it.
We are happy that you and your husband had a great time with us! All our staff is committed to providing to our guests pleasant experiences, and this kind of reviews are our best reward.
Hope you can visit us again soon.
Warm regards and pura vida!

Windsor, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

We got back from Costa Rica April 20 - had a good time - the food was really good!! Resort was clean and nice - the best part was the friendly staff and service! Bergen made our trip so much more than it would have been - his service was amazing - He knew our name the first day - he arranged a private dinner on the beach for us which was great - he knew our wants before we knew them. Bergen is definately an asset to the Westin!!!!!!
Lorna and Craig

Room Tip: Pay the extra for the Royal Beach Club
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Lorna B,
Thank you so much for your comments about Bergen and the food!
We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us.
Best regards,

3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

Costa Rica is very very hot and humid so you would think it's all about keeping cool right? Um, wrong. No cold water in the showers in the room or the pool. The pool water was like hot bath water, literally. There was also bird poop in the pool. We couldn't smell any chlorine in the pool so we were wondering if they used enough, or if they even used it at all? (And why would they close the pool at 6pm every night? Half the fun in hot weather at a place like this would be swimming at night!) People were getting sick with a stomach bug left and right while we there. The rumor was that the resort was shut down with a sewer back up that went into the pool 3 weeks before we got there and the stomach bug had started back then. We had a notice left on our door the 3rd day we were there telling us that many people were getting sick and the resort was trying to figure out why. We didn't get sick but people from our group did and so did others.

There are resort staff in the pool hounding you to take your picture so they can try to sell it to you later, 1 or 2 when you first get there might be fine but these people follow you around so they can take like 20 pictures, every day they see you in the pool! Very, very annoying.

Drinks were not strong at all. By the time I finished my 4th one without even feeling a slight buzz I just gave up because what I was starting to get was a stomachache from the sugar content.

The breakfast buffet had a nice selection but the flies landing on the food and the fact that the milk was sour pretty much ruined my appetite.

For the price you pay and how far away the lobby is we were surprised and frustrated wifi was not free throughout the resort.

Since a lot of Americans visit the resort it would have been nice to have more than 2 channels on the t.v. that were NOT spanish or if thats asking too much then at least they should at least have english subtitles.

The food was not as great as we hoped and not as much of a selection as could be for people who might have allergies or diet issues.

The beaches were beautiful but being hounded and approached by the multiple street venders everywhere does not allow a person to relax very much.

We won't be going back.

• Stayed April 2013
New York, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

This was the first time I stayed at an all-inclusive hotel and I was definitely unsure of whether I would like the experience. The reviews all seemed great so we booked through Expedia and figured, how bad could it be?

When we checked in, we found out that we had been upgraded to the Royal Beach Club and after staying in the "exclusive" part of the hotel, I would definitely pay for the upgrade the next time around. It is definitely worth it - you get a private concierge who makes your restaurant reservations, provides amazing service (they both knew our names from the first day) and gave us a free bottle of champagne and chocolate covered strawberries one night. There's a separate pool only for the Royal Beach Club members along with a separate restaurant that had great food.

The food was above average (can say this after just staying at another all-inclusive) and there were quite a few options (which is always nice for a vegetarian). You definitely need to make reservations in the morning because they don't always accommodate you if you try to book later in the day. Food seemed fresh and well cooked but you can definitely tell they use similar ingredients at all of their restaurants (used the same pasta for the Mexican night buffet - go figure - as they did for the noodles in the pad thai at the Asian restaurant). There is also free room service which was a nice perk but not great and if you order it late at night, just beware of leaving the trays out because the wildlife will come grab anything leftover!

The pools and grounds are well maintained and the beach is really gorgeous. The one issue with the beach is that it's a public beach which means they don't provide Westin chairs/umbrellas and public vendors are waiting for you the second you get on the beach. We walked a little ways away from the main entrance to the hotel and it was really quiet/relaxing.

I also had a chance to go to the spa thanks to the free $50 spa credit that came with our Expedia reservation. They were very nice considering I was not paying for any service (I found a 30 minute $50 massage) and the facilities were great. Awesome massage, super relaxing sauna/jacuzzi and really nice and quiet.

The shows at night were kind of lame but after a long day at the beach/pool and some delicious drinks from the bar, we were ready for bed pretty early anyway. The room was great - a typical Westin hotel with nice products in the shower, a super comfy bed and towels/robes and a nice balcony. The only gripe I have with the room, which I have had with other Starwoods properties, is the strange bathroom situation where they have an open window (with a window shade) between the bathroom and the main room (see photo). Once you are in the bathroom, there are openings at the top and the bottom of the sectioned off toilet which I find really strange. Definitely not much privacy in terms of the bathroom but if that's my only complaint after a vacation, I consider it a win!

This hotel is amazing and the staff are wonderful. Everyone spoke great English and really went above and beyond to make sure you had a great stay. We'll definitely be back!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

First off, this place was wonderful! When we first got there we noticed the lobby was just an open building with no A/C. The concierge told us that we had been selected for an "upgrade." She told us that we would be moved to the adult only part of the resort and that our liquor package had been upgraded to top shelf. She said the only issue was that they were out of king sized beds and that they would provide us with two doubles and push them together. We didn't think anything of this and assumed that it would in fact be an upgrade. When we got to our room it was basically a hotel room. We had originally booked a Junior Deluxe Suite. I was very upset and we had been there for two hours already and the beds had not been pushed together. I threw a fit with the concierge and they came right away to put the beds together. We suffered through the 1st night in this so called "upgrade." The next day we woke up and ate then headed to the lobby again to get our originally reservation back. The lady there said that she had explained to us the difference and that we had agreed to it. I was furious! I told her that I had no idea what the rooms looked like and that I assumed this "upgrade" would have been better but it wasn't. We asked her which room was bigger and nicer and she hesitated and said the Junior Deluxe Suite was bigger and better. Finally they agreed to switch us back to our original reservation and we demanded that we kept the liquor upgrade. She refused and said we should go pack and call when we were done and they would come pick us up once we were done. We did and came back to get our new room keys. She said after she had spoke to her Manager, that we would be able to keep the liquor package. She apologized profusely and gave us her direct extension saying if we needed anything to call. Meanwhile, while I was fighting with them, my parents had called their travel consultant and raised hell. My dad is a preferred member with this chain of hotels and threatened bad reviews everywhere, which explains why everyone was so cooperative once we returned. After that our honeymoon was blissful. Apparently, this happens a lot. They overbook their king size beds and they chose young honeymoon couples who they think are there just to drink and have a good time to "upgrade" thinking they'll be too drunk to care. DO NOT FALL FOR IT!
Make sure you make reservations at each restaurant as soon as possible. They book up fast. As far as excursions, look for Erik Garcia at the entrance to the ocean. He has WAY better prices and they do the same excursions that Swiss Travel does. His employees are very friendly and go out of their way to make sure the experience is a fun one. The resort's ATM was out of service for two days and we needed cash for our excursion. We advised the tour guide that morning of our situation and said he would take care of it. We proceed on our adventure and once it was over he made several stops for us to get cash. It turns out a lot of the ATMs around town were done too. He was very helpful and patient with us. Erik's tours are the way to go! He does transportation to and from the airport as well! Make sure you empty your mini fridge of all the water they give you and bring it on your excursions. It is hot and the water will help.

Room Tip: The Junior Deluxe Suit is perfect for the honeymoon couple or celebrating an anniversary. If you are...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal? Share your experiences!