“Great Vacation for Adults or Families: A Breakdown of the Property” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal

You added The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal to your Saves list
The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Playa Conchal, Bahia Brasilito, Playa Conchal 232-5150, Costa Rica   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
"Pura Vida" Package
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Playa Conchal
Shelby Township, Michigan
“Great Vacation for Adults or Families: A Breakdown of the Property”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

We stayed at the Westin Playa Conchal for 8 days and had a great time. Below is a breakdown of the Good and not so good, as well as tips to help.

Hotel
The Westin is a large property with lots of different options for rooms. There is the Royal Beach Tower (Adults Only). We did not stay here but our friends from our group did and said the rooms were nice. There is also the Family Junior Suites. Getting the junior suite enrolls you in the “Family Club.” See details below. We stayed here since we brought two kids (6 and 8 year olds). These are set up like condos along the resort. We had an upstairs condo that was very clean and nice. We did not hear any noise from any neighbors. The room had a small “kitchen area” with a small refrigerator a small breakfast table, a living room, a large bathroom and a bedroom with two “queen size beds.” The beds are actually barely double size beds. Each of us slept with one kid each night because the beds could not sleep two adults. That was a bummer. The refrigerator is not stocked like a mini bar. It will have 4-6 beers, a few bottles of water, some soda and juice. On the counter was one airplane size of assorted liquors. Not impressive. You can call room service to bring more but they will give you a hard time if you want more than the daily allotment. I called to order more beer because we had another couple over (we wanted to sit on the patio to drink). I was told that 4 is the max I could order, “otherwise, they would charge me.” I waited until the delivery came and gave the guy $5 to bring me more, which he did. I find it odd that an “all-inclusive” hotel would limit your drinks. Our maid service was awesome. They cleaned the room very well everyday and made animals out of the towels. The kids thought that was cool. Shower and toilet was clean. I don’t think the floors were mopped everyday (marble floors). They were probably “swiffered.” My feet had a black film on them everyday which I had to scrub off in the shower daily. One unfortunate feature was that the room lacked any dressers or drawers. We had six suit cases that had to be placed on the breakfast table, desk and half wall. We left our clothes in the suit cases because there was no room for them.

Family Club
The family club is a nice touch. When we checked in, the kids received a backpack with all sorts of cool things in it including a water bottle and disposable camera. Staying in the family suite, we were a part of the club. This allows you special towels at the family pool and a personal concierge (waitress) to help get food, drinks, etc. There is a kids club (free) open 9am-5pm. The girls who work there are very nice and have a ton of activities for the kids. They made pottery, did tours of the plants and animals on the resort via golf cart, had video games, board games, etc. My kids loved going there.
Tip: Let the kids swim in the morning and have lunch. Take them to the kids club from 1-4:30 so they can get out of the sun.

Restaurants, Bars and Room service
Room service is notoriously late at the hotel. So order an hour in advance. I wanted to get room service breakfast for the kids before we went on an excursion one morning and called the night before. I wanted to have the kids eat at 8:30AM so I ordered the food to be delivered at 7:30AM. The food was delivered at 8:15AM.
Tip: Order an hour before you need it.
The restaurants were all very good but you must have a reservation for the restaurants. I tried emailing the manager who replies on Trip Advisor, Victor Gomez. I told him I was on trip advisor, asked for specific reservations via the email he provides 3 days in advance of our trip. When we arrived, none of my reservations were made, they were unaware of my email, I printed and presented my email to them. The staff apologized and I never received an apology from Victor and he never once approached us or called us to apologize. You are assigned a concierge at check in. We had Eliel as our concierge who apologized and tried to make my reservations for the week. He tried very hard and was able to get some but not all. Thank you Eliel! Victor, this is poor management and customer service on your part.
Bamboo: Great Asian Fusion Restaurant. The food was really good. The staff was pleasant. The restaurant is small, so make your reservation well in advance. I had the spicy chicken soup which was incredible. My entrée was the chicken and chestnuts and was delicious as well. For appetizers, we ordered one of everything and they were all great, including the sushi. Tip: The kids menu is basically the same as the adults. If your kids are like mine, tip the waiter $5 to get chicken strips for the kids.
Italian Restaurant: The trip advisor reviews said that this was the best restaurant on the resort but we were disappointed. The food is upscale olive garden. Set your expectations for that and you will be fine.
Los Candelos: Latin American Restaurant. The food was ok. It is not Mexican food. No tacos, no borritos. If you like local, latin food, you will be fine. I tipped the chef to make a cheese quesadilla for the kids (they could not eat chicken nuggets for a fourth time), had to explain what a quesadilla was. They obliged us, by taking two tortillas, adding cheese and grilling it. The kids were happy. Thank you!
Mediteranean: I tried to get reservations here but couldn’t. Talking to other people, the food was great. Try going there.
Mitra: This is the buffet. Its open most of the time and you don’t need reservations. We had dinner here the first two nights since we could not get reservations anywhere else. It was pretty good. Lots to choose from, clean, but not too impressed. There was lots of local stuff, which looked odd. There was really nothing for our kids besides a deli tray. The kids ate salami sandwiches. The bread was awesome! Breakfast at mitra was really good though, pancakes, waffles, omelets, sausage and bacon, etc. The bacon looks really odd but tasted wonderful.
The pizza place by the pool was awesome! We ordered pizza for lunch everyday by the pool and were very happy. It closes at 5pm and opens at 12 so don’t miss out.
There is a poolside restaurant Caracola. The food was pretty good but what disgusted me were the birds and their droppings. We were being seated and there were bird droppings on the backs of our chairs. I asked the waiter for a wet cloth to wipe the bird droppings off. Their solution was to put seat cushions on top of the chairs. We sat at a table where there was a bird sitting on the beam above. My husband got a surprise dropped on his arm! The annoying part was that the staff did not rush to help, provide a napkin, get rid of the bird, etc. They just accept this. The management should do something about this problem. Add things to the beams, add fans, etc to eliminate the temptation for the bird to it there.
Cauri: The French restaurant. The food was terrible. Don’t bother. It’s also outdoor, covered seating with no breeze. They have ceiling fans that do not work well. I was sweating all through dinner. We ordered the filet and shrimp (surf and turf). The filet was not good and the shrimp smelled fishy.

Pool

The weather is gorgeous in Costa Rica so there is plenty of pool time. Get long sleeve swim shirts for the kids and bring plenty of spf. Our kids became slightly crispy and the shirts and hats came in handy.
The main pool (adults and kids) was awesome. (there is also an adults only pool which we did not go to) At the main pool, there is a swim up bar and the wait staff was awesome and fun. Our waiter was Eduardo. He was the best part of our vacation. He was on top of everything the entire time. He knew what I was drinking and had it ready for me. He also makes a special frozen drink which I dubbed “the Eduardo Special.” It is delicious!!!!!! Eduardo was also very sweet and kind and understood what personalized customer service was.
Tip: Please tip the waiters and bar tenders!!! It’s the right thing to do (even though it is an all-inclusive resort). You will also get specialized service.
Do not stay at the pool after 4:40PM (especially if you are eating food poolside). This is the time that the animals come out and they are hungry. We had a late snack by the pool one night and the local raccoons were out and were coming onto our pool chairs, going into the garbage cans, etc. Don’t worry, they won’t attack you, but it’s just gross! Also, they really like the pizza. Finish eating before 4PM and you will be good. Don’t feed the animals.

Excursions
There are two ways to book an excursion: through the hotel or through Eric Garcia (everyone talks about him on Trip Advisor). Book the jet ski tour excursion through the hotel (the westin has brand new jet skiis) and ask for Eric (not the same Eric mentioned above) to be your tour guide. Regarding the Eric from the jet skiis, he was fantastic! He took us to all of these different beaches and islands. He is a sweetheart! Thank you Eric!

Otherwise, use Eric Garcia to book the rest. He is nice (the hotel people are rude) and is honest with his prices. We did the horseback riding, the zipline and the jet ski tour. I would recommend all.

Portrait:
Next to the activities center at the main pool is an artist named Eugene. He is extremely talented and after speaking to him decided to get a family portrait painted. He booked a time for him to take our picture with a digital camera. We were able to pick the one we liked. Then he spent the next day or so, sketching from the picture and airbrushing our family portrait on canvas. It is beautiful and we are so happy with it. He is very talented. Find him for a portrait.

In summary we had a great time. If they can work on the restaurant reservations, room floor cleanliness and managers getting back to you (Victor), all would be fine. I would definitely go there again. Will watch trip advisor for improvements.

Room Tip: Family Junior Suites advertise "Two Queen Beds." They are actually two doubles. Book a K...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,067)
Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

My family and I just returned home from a one week vacation at this resort. We have been to other 5-star all-inclusive places so for the price that we paid, we were expecting a beautiful location, lodging (we opted for a junior suite with family services) and great food at a variety of restaurants of our choosing. The place is indeed very beautiful and the staff that work at the resort in housekeeping and in restaurants were wonderful but we were very disappointed with the restaurant set-up. Do not expect to eat where you want to eat and many times, you will call for a reservation and they will tell you they are full. Notice how the restaurants are only half full when they tell you this- we think there is a staffing problem either in the kitchen or in the service department. The food is good but not what we expected- very ordinary and with long waits at the table to get served and receive your food. Too often, the orders got mixed up or they got too busy with private parties on location. The buffet restaurant, Mitra, is like Club Med, like a camp mess hall.We didn't mind this for breakfast or the occasional dinner but we wanted something better for dinner and we paid for choice! The best restaurant was Cauri for French food- we went there twice. We hope that you don't mind putting up with large groups of business people who show up on incentive trips- the beer starts flowing at 10:00 am and the noise and rowdiness continues until they leave the pool before dinner (only because the pool closes at that time!). For excursions, book ALL your trips with Erik Garcia, who is waiting for you just outside the gate on the beach. He is honest, reputable, experienced and one really nice guy! He will give you the trips you choose for half of what the hotel travel rep is asking and without all the intimidation and threats about lack of insurance and all that nonsense from them, which really turned us off. Erik will only set you up with what you want and with no hassles. Truthfully, Erik made this trip worthwhile because the resort certainly did not, at least not for this kind of money. The Westin, it seems to us, has some growing up to do. While we loved Costa Rica and the many wonderful people that we met, we will return another day but stay elsewhere.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
WPCManagement, Manager at The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Dear linda_to_go,

We appreciate the time you took to write this review of your vacation in Costa Rica. I am pleased to know that you found our resort —its grounds and facilities— very beautiful and our staff wonderful!

Yet, I am sorry to read that you found our restaurants under performing in food quality and reservation logistics and I apologize for that. We strive to provide a seamless experience at our venues and truthfully this is one of our prime concerns, understanding the pivotal role that food & beverage play in an all-inclusive resort. A suggestion we have frequently shared is to book all your dinner reservations at check-in, in order to minimize complications with restaurants during your stay; though it might be difficult to foresee your daily preference, it is simpler and greatly reduces hassle during stay.

Thank you again for your feedback and I hope that all other aspects of your stay were to your liking.

Sinceramente,

Cerritos, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Great hotel and incredible grounds. Lush and beautiful. Service was amazing and the food was top notch. We got some rain but they cannot control the weather. Try not to go during the rainy season. Yet, if you want peace and quiet that is the best time to go....

Room Tip: Resort is very large. Choose a room near the pool area. Most restaurants are in that area.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Jenison, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

This was a fantastic resort! We stayed 3/1/13-3/8/13.The grounds were beautiful. The staff was so friendly. The 1st room they placed us in smelled like old smoke ( and the rooms are all non-smoking). I called the front desk and the manager found us a new room and had us moved with-in 15 minutes. Rooms are clean and spacious. There is abundant wild life on the grounds ( monkey, racoons, coati's, iguana's and many many types of birds). the food was FANTASTIC!! we ate at the buffet for breakfast and lunch. There was a fantastic selection for both meals. We dined at the restraunts for dinner. Our absolute favorites were Cauri ( french) and Las Candelas (Latin), but every restauraunt was good, I especially recommend the fish, it is so fresh. The pool area was beautiful and always seemed to have enough chairs, but we are beach people. the Beach is a public beach, so there are locals ( they may try sell you things but are VERY polite if you decline). The beach is not busy or crowded and the Westin Staff has beach chairs available. The beach is huge and you can walk a long way down it. There is usally a very nice breeze on the beach. The water is cooler than the caribean and is not clear, but absolutely swimable and a nice way to cool down ( was 95-98 the week we were there) It is Dry season from Dec-May, and there had been no rain for 3 months, so the surrounding area is not lush and green like you see in pictures, it is still a pretty landscape with rocks and hills, but the vegetation is pretty brown. ( The resort waters so its landscape is green).

One recommendation. You need to make your restaurant reservations the day you get there and they fill up fast. I e-mailed them several days prior to our arrival and got the 1st few nights set up ahead of time. If you dont do that you may end up at the buffet ( we never ate there for dinner, but it was excellent for breakfast and lunch)

Eric Garcia on the beach was fantastic to book a trip through. We booked our day trip to Arenal through him. This is a long trip, but the rainforest is beautiful and the chance to see a volcano was well worth it. Unfortunately it was rainy the day we were there and did not get to see the volcano. we did zip line and walk on the hanging brides. This was a wonderful experience and we had a private tour with Enrique ( Kiki). he was so friendly and provided a safe and fun day with all kinds of information and was able to spot animals we never would have seen. We saw a sloth, monkeys, tucans and coati's

Downside- was minimal, but they do not have many bars and the pool bar closes at dark. they seem to have a lot of conventions and 3 nights one of the bar areas was closed for a private part. The only othe negative is 3 of the 7 days we had many many small and very annoying flys that you could not actually get away from them. One night they were so bad that I had to move inside from the porch.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Lots of Pros here: Lovely and accommodating staff, overall. Lots of choices for dining, and food was good quality for an all-inclusive. We had no problems getting a reservation as some have noted. The Italian resto was best, surprisingly, as we are not huge fans of Italian food. The French spot was great too, despite warnings against it. The resort was well maintained, although initially I felt the exterior structures looked a bit institutional in striving for modern simplicity. We loved the pool area, and the super friendly staff. In particular, the gals at the towel/activity centre, our water aerobics/yoga instructor (Sorry, it was about a month ago, and their names escape me now.) and the young Argentinian resort photog.
The Cons: Nothing major. We initially had a room with two doubles rather than a King bed but we politely asked for a King when it was available and they gave us a great room next day. The only tiny complaint I'd make was that on two occasions, food requests were dealt with slightly begrudgingly. One morning we were leaving early for a tour and wanted some quick room service breakfast. I had to call twice (no answer) and got clearly frazzled individual on the third ring who quickly advised me that it would be up to one hour and quickly got off the phone with me. Perhaps they were understaffed. We just went to the dining room, which was quick and delicious. On another occasion returning late from a tour, we were accommodated for dinner at Cauri, but it took a bit of wrangling, and the manager or whoever was clearly not delighted. We get that it was a bit late (9:30) and we didn't have a reservation (it was 30% full, maybe), but the buffet restaurant was closed (without notice) so we had few other options. We ate quickly and left a good tip, and the service was lovely otherwise. But it is these little things that count sometimes, especially when one is paying a bit extra for a better experience. However, these are small matters. The experience overall, was excellent and I would recommend the resort highly. TIPS: Book your restos on the first day. Take advantages of the fitness classes!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Chesapeake, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Some confusion during check-in. We were upgraded to the Towers (adults only), which was a bonus. The room however had 2 queen size beds instead of a single king which was what we wanted. When I told them I would go back to the original reservation with the king-size bed it had already been re-assigned. I was somewhat irritated and told them that was pretty unprofessional. After about an hour of waiting in the Towers clubhouse (having cocktails) another room in the Towers was found with a King-size bed and we moved in. I was made to feel like it was somewhat of a burden for them to do this and I should be very grateful. The front desk offered apologies for the delay and promised a bottle of wine would be delivered to the room. That never happened. I didn't care but don't promise something and not deliver. The room had a garden view which was less than spectacular. It looked like it had recently been defoliated. While this was somewhat disappointing for the room price it did provide for some unexpected wildlife viewing (see pix). We didn't spend much time in the room anyway.
The room was clean and nice. We had to ask for an iron and board because it was missing. We had to ask for hand towels and facecloths because they were not replaced after use. The room itself was not serviced for the last 2 days we were there. The minibar was not re-stocked on a regular basis.
The Towers had its own pool with swim up bar, and restaurant offering breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Best of all there were no screaming children (bonus). Special thanks to David at the pool for providing excellent service and Spanish lessons. Gracias Amigo, Pura Vida.
The Towers restaurant had an outstanding breakfast buffet, lunch, and dinner items.
We had dinner at every restaurant and all of the meals were outstanding as was the service.
We tried the dinner buffet outside of the adults only area and that was pretty lousy. Food was cold and not appetizing).
The Towers Concierge's were outstanding and quickly fixed most of the issues.
The grounds of the resort were immaculate, well kept, and quite beautiful. Lots of iguanas, families of white-nose conties, birds, and a solitary monkey were encountered in our walks (see pix).
The beach (which is outside of the resort) was spectacular. It was a little crowded right outside the gate of the resort but if you turned left and walked for 15 min you had the entire beach to yourself. The beach itself was exceptionally clean (as was all of Costa Rica that we travelled through); the water was pristine and warm. You could not have asked for a nicer beach experience. Bring towels to lie on. Excellent sea shells for collectors.
We did a zip-line half day tour which was great, and a shopping trip to Tamarindo. Souvenir prices were about the same as the resort.
Didn't use the spa services.
We are not overly fussy. Overall it was a good experience with just a few minor irritations. The service staff were very friendly and tried very hard to accommodate our requests. Still a little pricey.

Room Tip: Stay in the Adult only towers if you want to avoid children. Beware of the Guaro. It will hurt you.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear jph704,

Thank you for sharing this great review of your recent vacation at our resort! I am very happy to know that you had a chance to visit all of our restaurants and found them outstanding in every way. I am also glad that, with the exception of the check-in process and your room’s location everything else exceeded your expectations and provided for a memorable experience of Costa Rica.

Nevertheless I am sorry for the lackluster experience during your registration process. Though high season proves a true challenge in trying to accommodate to each customer’s requests for bedding and location preferences —due to the obvious scarcity of available inventory— you should always feel tended to, with a genuine and caring attitude. I am sorry if this was not the case.

Finally, I agree fully with you… beware of Guaro and do enjoy it responsibly. It goes so smoothly in the right cocktail, that you might not know what hit you.

Muchas gracias,

Los Angeles, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

The place is nice enough and the food is mostly good but not great. The resort is inclusive and you can feel trapped. With the exception of Pesotes you could be in Florida or anywhere. The service and staff were great with the exception of getting dinner reservations. That is a nightmare that is unexplainable. We were so frustrated by the dinner reservation issues that we went to Tamrindo almost every night for dinner. The food in that village is great at Copacabana and Nibbanna. The drinks are good at La Palapa but the food is not.

Be sure to also walk up to the beach to Braslito where there is an adorable little village where you can get lunch and a drink but not much more.

Room Tip: Ask for an upper floor room facing the golf course.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear groverguy,

I want to show my gratitude for your contribution related to your recent stay at The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal. I am delighted to read that you found our resort to be very nice, with good food at our restaurants and a great staff!

Though I understand that when enjoying certain areas of our resort you could not necessarily feel in Central America, it is the simple possibility of walking a little over half a mile to explore Brasilito village or taking a 20 minute drive to discover vibrant & surf-infused Tamarindo town —just as you did during your vacation— that will unmistakably set you within the magic of our exotic location within Costa Rica. As I have discussed with many a traveler, enjoying an all-inclusive resort does not necessarily mean that you have to be sequestered within its walls and exploring the area can also be part of a fun AI vacation. We believe that the resort’s location at Guanacaste’s countryside with its lushness, warm weather and small villages pairs beautifully with a cold margarita or mojito enjoyed pool-side with a slice of our freshly-prepared wood-oven pizza. The best of both worlds.

We hope to host again in the not too distant future!

Muchas gracias,

4.0 of 5 stars 4,252 reviews
Hotel Riu Palace Costa Rica
JW Marriott Guanacaste Resort & Spa Costa Rica
Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo
Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica a...
#2 of 15 in Gulf of Papagayo
4.5 of 5 stars 1,399 reviews

Been to The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal? Share your experiences!