Pros: Hotel and property are absolutely breathtaking. The service here is worth noting; the staff takes pleasure in helping with any need, whether large or small. We stayed at the Royal Beach Club (Tower 2) in Room #2308. Although I was traveling with a girlfriend of mine (we left the boys at home), we joked that this room was the epitome of the “fantasy suite.” The room itself was huge, including two bathrooms, copious amount of closet space and a large balcony with two extremely comfortable chairs for lounging. The best part of the Royal Beach Club is that it caters to adults only; children are not allowed in this section of the resort. Our concierge, Bergen, was fabulous! He greeted us every day by name with a huge smile and made sure we were always taken care of.
Cons: The food here is OK. Make reservations as SOON as you arrive (or up to a week prior to arrival). Best choices are La Catalina at Reserva Conchal (extra surcharge – WORTH IT!), Mediterra and Bamboo. The rest of the restaurants did not impress as food was bland and typical of all-inclusive resorts.
1. Pay your departure tax AT the hotel. We were so glad the hotel offered this service to us. If not, we would have waited at huge lines in the airport.
2. Took the Aqua Class at 11am in the main pool – it was a blast (yet surprisingly challenging) and the teachers were very high energy + nice on the eyes. Wear a supportive bathing suit!
3. We partied in town of Tamarindo (20 minutes by shuttle) on Friday & Saturday night – this town is a total party scene and we loved everything about it! Highly recommend Monkey Bar & Beach Bar – open air bars with live music.
Tours: We read about Eric on TripAdvisor before our trip and all posted comments are true – he is the best! Eric is located immediately outside the Westin (on the beach). He was friendly, knowledgeable and the prices are cheaper than booking with the Westin. We booked 3 adventures with Eric; horseback riding on the beach, river tour to Palo Verde and massages on the beach with Gigi.
Horseback riding – Spectacular! The guide let us do as much as we wanted for an hour. The horses were not typical trail horses – they moved if you asked them to! As an experienced rider, riding on the beach for an hour with no rules was fabulous.
Palo Verde – we loved our guide Keke! He was friendly, experienced and very attractive (thanks Eric!). We saw beautiful scarlet macaws, crocodiles, howler monkeys and white-faced monkeys. We came face to face with the white-faced monkeys and fed them mangos right from our palm! It was incredible. On our way home, we stopped at a supermarket and picked up some local coffee ($3 a bag vs. $11 at the airport).
Massages – WOW, Gigi and team are the best! We had massages on the beach at sunset. It was incredibly relaxing and worth the $30/hour.
Costa Rica is a dream destination; you can do as much (or as little) as you want. The Westin offers all types of services, from couples to families and everything in between. If they could just improve on the food, it would be perfection!
- Also Known As:
- The Westin Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal Hotel
- The Westin Resort And Spa, Playa Conchal
- The Westin Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal Hotel Playa Conchal
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Westin Playa Conchal is an All Inclusive eco-friendly retreat, located between the exotic forests and unspoiled beaches of the North Pacific Riviera of Costa Rica. Our secluded vacation spot is a perfect balance between unrivaled luxury and local culture, giving our guests an unforgettable vacation experience. Our All Inclusive experience includes all meals, drinks, use of our fitness center and kids club as well as entertainment options including non motorized water sports, daily activities and nightly events. The resort also offers an adult only all exclusive experience at the Royal Beach Club where guests have access to a private pool with concierge service. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Expedia, Media 8, Inc., Booking.com, BookIt.com, Amex, Venere, Olotels, Priceline, Hotels.com, HotelsClick and Tingo so you can book your The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.