“Good except for the restaurant system” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal

Save Saved
You added The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal to your Saves list
The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Playa Conchal, Bahia Brasilito, Playa Conchal 232-5150, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Playa Conchal
Toronto, Canada
“Good except for the restaurant system”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

We are currently staying at this resort for a week. We stayed here three years ago before it was a westin Both times we have stayed in the royal club. The addition of bar and food service at the rbc pool is wonderful.

Only negative is the inability to get restaurant reservations. We arrived on Monday late afternoon and had emailed the concierge in advance about Monday evening. She responded quickly and asked me to write to the food and beverage assistant manager. I did that right away and never heard back from her. When we arrived I asked at rbc checkin about our reservation. The woman was unhelpful and actually rude.

For the rest of our dinner reservations I called the restaurant line at 10am on Tuesday. The only times I could get we're 6 or 9 pm. The woman on the line was unhelpful , not what you expect from a westin and when you are paying a premium. Restaurants are less than half full, this does not make any sense. It is the big talk at the pool and guests are frustrated and angry.

Westin would be wise to sort this out quickly. Would never come back based on how I was treated by check in and restaurant reservation staff. Really too bad.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
WPCManagement, Manager at The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Dear rosco 1957,

We want to thank you for the input related to your current stay at our resort. We are delighted to know that you enjoyed the introduction of a pool & snack menu at the Royal Beach Club pool, making a stay in this category even more special.

I am sincerely sorry that you have found our restaurant reservation system cumbersome and unfriendly; we are fully aware of this issue related to strong demand at peak time (7:00 – 8:00 pm) with an obviously capped capacity and we strive to accommodate most all requests. One of our prime suggestions is to book all your dinner reservations at check-in time, instead of waiting each day to make them. Do not hesitate to contact me directly if you are still at the resort, to find ways to help you.

I hope that all other aspects of the property are being enjoyable, that you have found our staff friendly and warm and that Costa Rica is as beautiful as you remembered from your last visit.

Quedo a sus órdenes,

Victor Gomez
Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (861)
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Westin Playa Conchal from Dec 1-15, 2012 for our honeymoon. My husband stayed 3 years ago when it was a Paradisus and they have done some very nice upgrades!

Our room: We stayed in a deluxe junior suite in building 33, we thought about paying for the upgrade for the Royal but it would have only been for the wi-fi, so we just used the free wi-fi in the lobby. We asked for a second floor room close to the pool, we were really pleased with the location as it was a short walk to the pool, beach and restaurants. We found the room to be cool enough and we used to ceiling fan the whole time as well. It's by no means freezing but we had no complaints. Our room had a renovated bathroom with a large walk in shower, beautiful!

Restaurants/Drinks: We called the number provided and were always able to get a reservation, we booked a couple of days in advance and never had a problem. We enjoyed the food at every restaurant and the buffet always had something nice to offer. The buffet isn't as big as other all inclusives we've been to, but realized very quickly that the quality trumps quantity everytime. We also ordered room service a few times and it was great! We tipped at every meal as they work so hard and were always so friendly! The drinks are awesome! Ask for a dirty monkey!! Yum!!

Staff: WOW, everyone on the grounds say hello to you and the hostesses at the buffet even remembered our room number after a few days, that's amazing considering there are hundreds of people going through there weekly. They work extremely hard and always with a smile!

Day trips: We read trip advisor reviews for about 6 months before our trip and we had to meet the famous ERICK GARCIA! We planned on going with Erick for some trips and the hotel for others. We met Erick as soon as we hit the beach and he walked us out to the beach and welcomed us. We ended up booking all our trips through Erick Garcia and John Rodriguez, such nice guys. They all have the same shirt on so it's easy to recognize them. We always felt safe and really enjoyed each trip! We even booked 3 massages with his wife Gigi on the beach. Such a nice massage and so relaxing!!

We did 6 different trips through Erick. The ATV/Zipline - bring extra money on this one as they have a gift shop at the Congo Trail and we paid an extra $30 to have someone take photos and video of us on the ziplines - well worth it so you don't have to struggle with your camera! We loved going on the ATV's through the small town and through the country side. Ask for a mask for your eyes as it is very dusty.
The Lazy Lizard Catanaran Sailing was awesome, the guys on the boat are excellent! They serve you as many drinks as you'll drink and they have sandwiches and snacks ready for you when you're done snorkelling. One of the guys caught a puffer fish for us to see - holy smokes!
Palo Verde National Park Boat Tour - our tour guide that brought us there was amazing! "Rico Sauve" aka Ricardo was excellent to stop an show us everything along the way, we also stopped to use a bathroom before the tour as there are no bathrooms at the river. He showed us the local trees and one of the locals saw our group and even gave us fresh mandarins! So good!! The tour was great, we saw lots of birds,iguanas, monkeys and crocodiles. Bring your camera!

We took a taxi into Tamarindo (arranged through Erick) and enjoyed a nice lunch over looking their surfer beach. Beautiful beach but there were lots of people coming up to us wanting us to buy their pottery,bird whistles or cigars. There are lots of little shops to buy souvenirs. We also took an ATV tour to Tamarindo (arranged by Erick) and got to see lots along the way, small towns, cows, and we were lucky enough to see a howler monkey family in the trees.

We also did the waterfall/mud baths and make sure you bring 2 towels each, one for the waterfall and one for the mud baths. Wear your bathing suit there as there's no place to really change. The waterfall was beautiful and amazing... everyone laughed when we jumped in first, "the Canadians don't care how cold it is". We changed (held up our towels) as we didn't want to sit with wet bathing suits in the van. Then we did a small hike through the rain forest and saw several waterfalls, beautiful! The typical Costa Rican lunch that was included was really good! Mud baths were cool too and our skin felt so soft afterwards.

We didn't go on any of the trips that were 4 hours to get there and 4 hours back. We preferred the closer trips. We never made it to any of the night shows or to the sports bar as we were always so tired from our days. We were up quite early too and my husband went to the gym every morning, nice air conditioned facility overlooking the golf course.

We also had to laugh at the reviews we read about the "noisy" shuttles, it really isn't that bad... I'm sure they weren't complaining when the shuttle dropped them off with their luggage!

I had a ton of bug bites by the time we left but never saw any of them biting me, bring some "Off Deep Woods" as the skintastic stuff we brought probably attracted them. I brought Afterbite and used it a lot.

We brought lots of small US$ dollars with us but ran out quickly, the front desk was able to exchange our larger bills for smaller ones. They also have an ATM machine that were give you American or local currency.
Enjoy your trip!!
Pura Vida!!
Melanie & Dan

Room Tip: We asked for a second floor room close to the pool, we were really pleased with building 33 as it wa...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Our first time travelling to Costa Rica and we certainly made the right choice when selecting our resort! We upgraded our reservation - concierge service above average, all our needs were tended to immediately(not that we had many) the resort maintained grounds and rooms exceptionally well, food perfect, pool perfect, atmosphere perfect and we plan on returning some time soon! According to my husband the golf was perfect as well!

Room Tip: we stayed in bungalow #2 - perfectly located on the resort
charlotte vt
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

We stayed for 6 days 1/19-25. We loved it. All the staff was considerate and helpful.
Not mentioned in other reviews
1. The golf course is on site. It is Robert Trent Jones Jr design and in great condition. There is a 5 day deal for $550. Only 3 holes had any view of the ocean so don't expect a course on the beach. They store your clubs for you .
2. The area is a Audubon Bird Sanctuary so there were interesting birds both on and off the course. Several ponds in the area with chairs to watch the blue herons. We brought binoculars with us as well as a picture guide.
3. We stayed in the regular part and I for one did not mind the kids in the pool. The separate restaurant to me is the only value to the "Royal " upgrade unless you are taking trips and need the concierge. We had no trouble booking the restaurants but made all the reservations on the first day. I really liked the smaller portion size and always felt full .
4. The quality and variety of the food was very good and far better than any all inclusive I have stayed at before.

We will return

Room Tip: I would ask for a 2nd floor the next time. the balcony looked nicer and more private than the terrac...
Dear Eleanor c,

We appreciate that you had a chance to share your recent experience at beautiful Costa Rica!

I am glad you had a chance to savor the excitement of our Robert Trent Jones II designed golf course! As I’ve mentioned before in this forum, this is quite a challenging 71-par course and there’s more than meets the eye, once you start. The relatively wide fairways do have their difficulty around the greens and one of the most beautiful elements, as you correctly point out, is enjoying the abundant wildlife that is seen around the course.

Finally, we are elated that you found our food quality superb! Our Executive Chef and his experienced staff really strive to create a distinct gastronomic experience. And yes, the smaller portions are very well appreciated by mosts guests; yet, for clients with larger appetites, I have read here that requesting two appetizers or a third main course to share with your significant other is the way to go!

Saludos cordiales,

Victor Gomez
Hotel Manager
New York, New York, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

My boyfriend and I were in need of a get away so decided to go to Costa Rica for our 6 year anniversary. We stood in the Westin All inclusive and it was definitely an all inclusive you could take advantage of! Free room service, great drink selection and amazing restaurants. Our 1st room was nice although the bathroom left very little privacy because of a huge window opening from the bed straight in the bathroom. We had to switch rooms due to a leak which would have been a huge inconvenience, but they upgraded our room to a Suite which totally made up for it! We signed up for some tours. This was THE ONLY reason I left 4 stars. Our tour adviser in the lobby (shorter man with a bald head, can't remember his name) helped us sign up for a private tour (just us two) for a day doing the Volcanic and Rain Forest Walk, including a visit to the Natural Springs. We paid $500 for this tour which was indeed pricey but hey we were on vacation. We had to pay separately for Canopy Tour (zip lining) which was another $120. We also signed up for ATVing along the beaches. Our $500 tour was a huge disappointment as our tour guide Geo was rude, and explained how "happily single" he was, while not even knowing if we were there on our Honeymoon or were married ourselves. He would joke that "if we did not like his jokes we could get out the car". It was just a little too much for barely knowing someone. The Volcanic Tour was nothing further from the truth, as we saw the Volcano from a distance. the tour guy did offer binoculars (not sure if this was a joke). This put a slight discomfort for the rest of our tour. Not only did we have to pay for his lunch, but the Rainforest walk was not included and we had to pay another $30 for that as well. After paying $500 we thought the Tour should have been much better in regard to our tour guy and paying these extra things. We made the best of it and had a wonderful experience nonetheless. I just would NOT recommend Geo as a tour guy nor the bald guy at the lobby who we told our negative experience to and did not try to make it up to us in anyway. Once he had our money we felt he could care less. This was a huge shock to us as EVERYONE in Costa Rica was AMAZING and wonderful to us. We made many friends there including David and Eric our concierge guys. My boyfriend ended up surprising me with a lovely and romantic proposal with their help and I will forever remember those two! If you do go to this wonderful resort, keep my experience in mind. Ask MANY specific questions regarding the tour. You don't want to drive 3 hours away to not do all the things you had in mind! The restaurants are all pretty excellent. Mediterra and Faisanella were very good! The only restaurant we didn't visit was the French one. They also have a steakhouse which is not included in the all inclusive. You will enjoy the food there if the coatis don't try and eat it first! You must watch out for those bold critters. They will pop up and jump on the table with no fear! We also left the resort one night for dinner at this local restaurant, I forget the name but if you ask, it was off the beach in the sand. They serve local Costa Rican food and the Guava drinks were out of this world! I hope this review helps and you have a wonderful trip. Costa Rica was a truly magical place.

Room Tip: The Royal beach Suite was very quiet and romantic with a Jacuzzi in the terrace. very large waterfal...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

We just returned from six days at the Westin. I have no complaints about the facility. It is clean, rooms are spacious, and the food was very good. I echo other people's comments about noise from the rooms above when they are being cleaned - no afternoon naps for me! We ate at the main (buffet) restaurant only for breakfast, and made reservations for each of the specialty restaurants each night. I recommend that you do that ASAP, unless you want to eat at 9:00. The resort is quite spread out, but walkable, and the shuttles run constantly. Everyone (except the people taking restaurant reservations over the phone) was incredibly pleasant and accommodating. There are vendors on the beach but I did not find them to be overly aggressive.
My one caveat is this: The resort is on the Pacific side, in the "dry tropical forest". I was aware of this prior to booking. if you are looking for an authentic Costa Rican rain forest experience, you can have it, but be prepared for a very long excursion. We did book on excursion through Swiss Travel, a half-day tour to Palo Verde National Park. Our guide was excellent, went beyond the call of duty to make sure we didn't miss anything, but even the half-day tour involved at least three hours of driving and got us back to the resort about 2:30. To actually get to the rain forest is perhaps three to four hours in each direction. But if you don't do the excursions, I think you could get bored (as we did) and not really have any feeling of being in Costa Rica. If you are happy eating, drinking, and laying about the pool, you will be quite content.
On another note, if you are a tennis player: Yes, they have three courts. They are not in good shape, and there is no pro shop. You can get equipment at the activities desk (free) and use the courts during the day at no extra charge, but there was not much appeal. Would be great if they could offer a few clinics, even for a fee.

Room Tip: I would get a room (as we did) closer to the restaurants and pool rather than closer to the lobby...
Trois-Rivières, Quebec, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

I made a trip from 14 to January 21, 2013 at this hotel. It is very safe and we were 2 girls alone, it's my most beautiful trip, I loved the place, I even fell in love with the country, the decor, the staff and the people. The hotel is very nice and clean, quiet... I had seen on the garden near the beach and all services. The Westin staff is courteous, always smiling! If you want to do the activities, will see ERIC GARCIA and his team for a horse on the beach, the zipline ride, 4 wheels, etc... Eric is very nice and will make your stay very pleasant! There is also the DORADO WATER sports team, the team is super dynamic for rent is a seadoo, the bananaboat, see Walter and Rafael, the boys are very nice... It is a beautiful place and I go back but next time for longer! PURA VIDA!!

Chantal V

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Been to The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal? Share your experiences!