It's Sunday, January 20th at 8:20 and we are sitting poolside and the only ones here. Wonderful.
This is our third trip here, the first two when it was a Paradisus run resort. Came on a direct flight from Toronto on Air Canada a week ago, good flight, easy to clear customs and a typical bus ride here. Buy one, get one deal.
We booked the Royal Beach Club (RBC) cheapest room, king bed, as it is an adult only pool and area. Worth every penny.
The resort is just this close to being perfect, 5 stars, if it wasn't for their lack of attention to small details and only 4 star service. Not crowded at all this time of year, weather outstanding.
The RBC pool is great. Freeform and plenty of space. 120 some loungers, 30 umbrellas and 10 cabanas. Never a problem finding a spot. Cabanas are only $20 a day more, so book one. Numbers 8, 9, and 10 are great for sun.
But don't be in a rush. Pool opens at 8:00 but no workers or towels. This cabana is bare and it's now 9:00. So enjoy by sleeping in.
Depending on who's working they are good with water and drinks.
Overall great, but service is only a 3-4 unless John is working. I was surprised the one day he worked with cold face towels and continual drink service. Great.
There is a band of coatimundis that run through twice a day. But don't feed them or you'll be overrun.
Loved the pool and no crowds.
This is a major great upside as the food quality and quantity here is better than the average all inclusive. Spirula pizza is a must, but all the ala cartes were quite good. Cuori (French gourmet), Faisenela (Italian) and Candelas (Latin American) were all very good. Never tried the buffet as RBC has their own breakfast and lunch. Service was generally very good.
Downsides (some picky)
Service just wasn't at the top. Slow and you get the feeling some just don't care. Not all though
I have to say John in the RBC was superb. Worked very hard to make you happy. Our maid for the week was Johanna, and she did a great job also.
If you want a snack after a day at the pool, make sure you bring some. You get one small pack of nuts, a pack of 2 crackers and 4 stale cookies in your room. Don't know why you can't order nachos or something. They should add to room service.
The gift shop is expensive. Same lotion we bought for $9.90 at home was $34 here.
Coffee: the to-go cups at the restaurant were tiny with the little paper handles. Bring a mug. Again, they could fix this.
Grounds:. Very nice and enjoy not hearing leaf blowers at five a.m., but the same leaves and cig butts have been at tower 1 door for a week. Same thing with cups and straws around the pool. Could be cleaner, but again have a feeling it's not important.
Another tip...after you pack take out half your clothes as you won't need much.
Would we come back? Maybe
- Also Known As:
- The Westin Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal Hotel
- The Westin Resort And Spa, Playa Conchal
- The Westin Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal Hotel Playa Conchal
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Westin Playa Conchal is an All Inclusive eco-friendly retreat, located between the exotic forests and unspoiled beaches of the North Pacific Riviera of Costa Rica. Our secluded vacation spot is a perfect balance between unrivaled luxury and local culture, giving our guests an unforgettable vacation experience. Our All Inclusive experience includes all meals, drinks, use of our fitness center and kids club as well as entertainment options including non motorized water sports, daily activities and nightly events. The resort also offers an adult only all exclusive experience at the Royal Beach Club where guests have access to a private pool with concierge service. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Media 8, Inc., Expedia, BookIt.com, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Booking.com, Venere, Hotels.com and Tingo so you can book your The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.