Let’s start with what stood out - the pool was very pretty with its lush surroundings and small tree-filled islands, and a winding shape that made an already huge pool feel even bigger. And the drinks at the bar were made with real fruit! You can also play pool by the pool and ping pong.
The resort iguanas and raccoon-monkeys (Coatis) can be fun to observe, and if you venture out down the beach or towards the main road you may spot howler monkeys, or at least hear the howl.
The food and service also get high marks except for one blemish which was the Asian restaurant where the service was atrocious! There were six of us dining and after our first glass of wine was poured we were not offered a refill or offered drinks of any kind for the rest of the meal. On top of that our water did not get refilled until desert! I also didn't receive a couple of items that I ordered and one of the main courses was incorrect. When we politely mentioned this the waiter actually because somewhat rude and then unresponsive.
We tried all the all-a-carte restaurants and the French one twice because 1) it was open-air, 2) their crème brulee, and 3) the lobby bar was beside it where the bartenders were great.
For some reason the pizza place wasn't open until half way through the week which was unfortunate because it really was very popular once it opened - great for lunch or a snack at the pool.
We took surf lessons with a small operation call Point Break, and I will give a shout out to Angelo who got me standing on my board several times.
We had beach massages which actually were excellent, and inexpensive. I wish I remembered their names but there was a middle aged woman and a young woman operating straight ahead from the beach entrance. They may get shooed away occasionally by the police but will return later.
Regarding tours I booked the Miravalles volcano/waterfall tour and river tour with Erik outside the beach entrance not because his tours are cheaper (they are but not by that much) but because Swiss Travel didn't offer the tours on days that we wanted to go; some tours would only run once or twice a week. Both tours were guided by Rigo Suave who is full of knowledge.
We took a private sail boat tour and went snorkelling though the snorkelling was disappointing, I can't be sure however that we were at the best location.
It wasn't high season when we were there and not crowded so I can't comment on whether getting pool chairs or dinner reservations are a problem when the resort is busy.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Westin Playa Conchal is an All Inclusive eco-friendly retreat, located between the exotic forests and unspoiled beaches of the North Pacific Riviera of Costa Rica. Our secluded vacation spot is a perfect balance between unrivaled luxury and local culture, giving our guests an unforgettable vacation experience. Our All Inclusive experience includes all meals, drinks, use of our fitness center and kids club as well as entertainment options including non motorized water sports, daily activities and nightly events. The resort also offers an adult only all exclusive experience at the Royal Beach Club where guests have access to a private pool with concierge service. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Media 8, Inc., Expedia, Booking.com, BookIt.com, Amex, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Priceline and Odigeo so you can book your The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Westin Resort And Spa, Playa Conchal
- The Westin Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal Hotel Playa Conchal