“Nice property and great pool” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal

You added The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal to your Saves list
The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Playa Conchal, Bahia Brasilito, Playa Conchal 232-5150, Costa Rica   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Best Rate Guaranteed
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Playa Conchal
Toronto
“Nice property and great pool”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

Let’s start with what stood out - the pool was very pretty with its lush surroundings and small tree-filled islands, and a winding shape that made an already huge pool feel even bigger. And the drinks at the bar were made with real fruit! You can also play pool by the pool and ping pong.
The resort iguanas and raccoon-monkeys (Coatis) can be fun to observe, and if you venture out down the beach or towards the main road you may spot howler monkeys, or at least hear the howl.
The food and service also get high marks except for one blemish which was the Asian restaurant where the service was atrocious! There were six of us dining and after our first glass of wine was poured we were not offered a refill or offered drinks of any kind for the rest of the meal. On top of that our water did not get refilled until desert! I also didn't receive a couple of items that I ordered and one of the main courses was incorrect. When we politely mentioned this the waiter actually because somewhat rude and then unresponsive.
We tried all the all-a-carte restaurants and the French one twice because 1) it was open-air, 2) their crème brulee, and 3) the lobby bar was beside it where the bartenders were great.
For some reason the pizza place wasn't open until half way through the week which was unfortunate because it really was very popular once it opened - great for lunch or a snack at the pool.
We took surf lessons with a small operation call Point Break, and I will give a shout out to Angelo who got me standing on my board several times.
We had beach massages which actually were excellent, and inexpensive. I wish I remembered their names but there was a middle aged woman and a young woman operating straight ahead from the beach entrance. They may get shooed away occasionally by the police but will return later.
Regarding tours I booked the Miravalles volcano/waterfall tour and river tour with Erik outside the beach entrance not because his tours are cheaper (they are but not by that much) but because Swiss Travel didn't offer the tours on days that we wanted to go; some tours would only run once or twice a week. Both tours were guided by Rigo Suave who is full of knowledge.
We took a private sail boat tour and went snorkelling though the snorkelling was disappointing, I can't be sure however that we were at the best location.
It wasn't high season when we were there and not crowded so I can't comment on whether getting pool chairs or dinner reservations are a problem when the resort is busy.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,002)
guanacaste
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

Lots has been said about Westin at Playa Conchal, recently renovated, great staff, great view, one of the best beaches in the Costarrican pacific. Great white sand and little seashells to the northern section of the beach. The Thai restaurant "Bamboo" very good , so the breakfast that has a very large buffet, with lots of everything, the only thing that was not good were the pancakes.
One of shows at night was good, but the standard that you would expect in an AI, the next night's show was really good, 3 performers combining magic like presentations with aerial ribbon or drape acts. Never seen that at Conchal before.
The staff at the reception was helpful and friendly, we came in late and they arranged reservations for the restaurants, even though they were fully booked.
The drinks at the pool generous and the bartenders friendly.
The tour office there very informative , and the had large selection of tours offered, like the most visited and sold Adrenaline at Rincon de la Vieja, an active volcano. This is just under 2 hours from Conchal.
For the kids , everything that you would expect to entertain them and lots of the things that they like to eat.
If you like AI's this is the one.

Room Tip: For families, the option of a connecting room is very convenient.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

This Hotel is beautiful, the wait staff are excellent, the food is excellent, the pool,spa,tennis courts,golf are all great and best thing about this place is it is all inclusive (yeh its a Westin). This is the perfect place for family get togethers or a romantic trip for two. The staff will bend over backwards to help you at every turn. The only negative I could find with this resort is the ocean. You are on the Pacific Ocean and on this coast the water is a dark blue color. The visibility in the water is very poor and the water is often a little cool. The average temp. in Jan. is about 93 degrees so be prepared to be in the ocean or in the pool. The sand is a combination of crushed shell and sand, but the beach is very nice with the hills as a backdrop. As far as trips go ie. zip lining, monkeys etc., most trips are between 1-2 hours away from this resort,so travel is required. All in All this is a excellent resort, well worth the price of admission.

Room Tip: I recommend getting rooms as close to the beach as possible as older family will have to walk a fair...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Windsor, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

My husband and I spent the week of Jan 7 - 14th at the Westin Costa Rica and had an excellent vacation. Upon arrival we inquired about upgrading to the Royal Beach Club but at $70 per night per person we decided to stay with the deluxe junior suite and it was fine. We were kind of concerened that the pool would be full of kids but it wasn/t a problem. The resort was beautiful and the staff was helpful and friendly. The food was very good at all the restaurants although our favorite was the French. Each morning we ate breakfast at the buffet and found that there was a good selection. We purchased our tours from John who works for Eric on the beach. For the mega tour John gave us a price of $135 but reduced it as the tour was filling up. We ended up paying $100 per person and the tour was awesome. It was nice because there was only 10 people in our group and we didnt have to wait in long lines to do the activities. Our tour guide, Ricky Recardo was informative with a great sense of humor. We took a 4 hour ATV tour with Rigo (again through John) to Tamarindo and it was a blast.It took 1 hour each way and we spent 2 hours at the beach and shopping. We had so much fun that we booked 3 hours the following day with Rigo to go from beach to beach with the ATV in the other direction. ($85 for 3 hours) Outside the resort to the right we found Angie for massage. I/ve had many massages in the past and must say that she was excellent. I highly recommend you ask for her. The only complaint I have is that we did nt book 2 weeks. be returning to the Westin Costa Rica but next time it will be for 2 weeks.

Room Tip: Request a room near the pool.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

We stayed at The Westin Playa Conchal, Costa Rica, in the middle of November 2012. This resort is really beautiful, clean and big. The staff is absolutely friendly and always helphul. The resort grounds are always clean and well maintained. We never felt crowded at any location. Whether being at the restaurants, pool, bar or at the theather. The food was good but not great. The wines served at every restaurant are the same and they're cheap, but drinkable. However I enjoyed the Italian restaurant the most (that's a compliment coming from an italian). The pool was just one of the best and largest we've seen. The beach is very nice, scenery wise, but the water was not as clean as some of the beaches we've been in the Caribbean. But it was not crowded at all. We still enjoyed it thogh. you MUST see Erik Garcia, Conchal Aventuras, for any trip information. He will honestly tell you if it's worthed for you to go. We booked the Zip Lining through him and had a great time (oh the price was very reasonable too). The rooms at the resort are kept very clean and cold (sometime too cold). However we thought that there should have been some cabinets, or towels/clothes hanging device in the huge bathroom, since there was no place to rest your clean clothes. Also there should have been clothes closets or shelves in the bedroom, since there was no where to store your clothes (besides the shelves by the bathroom), (we told the staff there fo this inconvenience). Be aware of these beautiful Coati (raccoon like animals) that roam around the grounds. They don't do any harm though. Don't forget to take a quick trip to Tamarindo at sunset. I've taken some of my best sun set photos there. In conclusion I would highly recommend this resort and surely would go back again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

My wife and I went here for our honeymoon at the start of January for a week. The resort is beautiful and the staff very attentive. The shuttle service that they provide is convenient to get across the resort. We were lucky to get a room close to the main pool and restaurants, so we didn't need to use it to much. We thought about upgrading to the Royal Beach Club but didn't and ended up by very satisfied with everything included in the regular packages. The beach has a gorgeous sunset but wasn't the greatest place to spend a whole day so we preferred to swim in the pool. My wife and I enjoy the food, not just the variety of restaurants but the buffet as well. They offer free Wi-Fi in the lobby if you haven't upgraded to the royal beach club or you can choose to pay by the hour ($5 U.S.) or day ($12 U.S.). We went to the spa and although it was quite pricey, the services they provided were very luxurious. Saunas and a jet pool in the change rooms and a private pool with outdoor cabanas we used after our massages. Very relaxing.

As far as planning excursions go, when you head out to the beach you will see Eric and the guys who work for him (they're wearing blue shirts). These are the guys you want to book your tours through! We booked all of our adventures through John, he was very friendly and helpful. We did "the Mega Tour" (zipline canopy tour, horse back riding, a short hike through the forest, a secluded spa with mud bath and hot springs, and an epic water slide), for this our guide was Rigo Suave. Rigo was not only extremely knowledgeable about the local plants and wildlife, he was also very fun and gave us a day that we will never forget! The next day we went back to the beach and booked surfing lessons. The instructor we had was named Bradley, who was very patient and helpful. With him giving us the step by step instructions, we were up riding the waves in no time and considering neither my wife nor I had ever surfed before it really showed us how good of a teacher he is! They also offer many more different tours. So if you're staying here at the Westin, definitely make your way out to Eric or one of his guys and scratch something exciting off your bucket list!

We will be staying here again the next time we're in Costa Rica.

Pura Vida!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

I cannot say enough about this resort!! This was my husband and my first time out of the country (for our honeymoon) and we're positive we will return someday!

We flew into the Liberia airport and chose to take Tamarindo Transfers & Tours (formerly Tamarindo Shuttle) to bring us to the hotel. They only charged us $20/person vs. the outrageous rate of other shuttles. Our driver was awesome as well! He even stopped at a local food stand on the way to the resort for us to try the local cuisine! This was my FAVORITE thing I ate all weekend (although the food at the resort wasn't bad either). Our driver asked us what we liked and then even ordered the food for us. It was delicious. He also offered to take us into town before we got to the hotel as it would have cost us like $40 to take a taxi once we arrived at the hotel. We decided not to, but it was awesome for him to offer. He also spoke English very well.

Once we arrived at the hotel we were seated by the bar in the main lobby to check in as the royal beach lobby was under construction. We were brought drinks immediately and treated very, very well. The check in process was over before we even knew it and we were escorted to our room. Our luggage was waiting at our room when we arrived which we thought was really cool lol. Because I signed up to be a Starwoods member we were upgraded to the Royal Beach Club Queen Suite. The room was HUGE! We had 2 bathrooms, one of which I wouldn't even call a bathroom as it was bigger than my living room at my house! I recommend if you're going to stay here to become part of their loyalty program as this upgrade completely made our trip! Also, if you don't have kids staying the Royal Beach Club is a MUST!

We stayed in mid-October so it was during rainy season, but it really only rained one full day, and then at odd times throughout the rest of the days. However, the rain never slowed us down. Also, it doesn't get cold when it rains so as long as you don’t mind getting wet you really don’t even have to go inside. A lot of people swam through the rain.

As most say on here, the food was excellent. Although I personally got kinda sick of it by the time we left. I'm not sure what it was, but I could have gone the entire last day without eating. My husband made me eat though lol. Drinks were also very good! Our favorite bartender was Geovanny and he was mainly stationed at the Royal Beach swim up bar. Try a dirty monkey or bushwhacker! The night life was kind of lame, but you spend so much time in the sun and eating and drinking that by the time you're done with dinner you really just wanna go to bed anyway (reservations are pretty late).

All in all this place was amazing! One thing I advise you to bring is a backpack or beach bag. We didnt even think of this and when we left for the day to do ziplines we had to go buy a backpack to bring extra clothes and stuff in. This was pretty expensive! Also if you plan on spending a lot of time at the beach bring your own mugs to fill up as their drink glasses are very little!

Room Tip: Make sure you join their loyalty program for the chance of getting a free upgrade.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal? Share your experiences!