“Happy Thanksgiving - Pura vida!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal

Save Saved
You added The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal to your Saves list
The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Playa Conchal, Bahia Brasilito, Playa Conchal 232-5150, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #1 of 3 hotels in Playa Conchal
New York City, New York
“Happy Thanksgiving - Pura vida!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

A few things to set the stage for my review as it pertains to our experience: My boyfriend and I had Platinum status, we stayed at the Royal beach club (tower #1) and did not partake in any excursions.

We spent 6 days at the Westin Playa Conchal for a much needed vacation after a very hectic month. Every day was amazing, mainly because the service and amenities of the resort.
The Royal Beach club: David and Eliel at the Royal Beach Club were very attentive and greeted us with a smile every time that we saw them. The pool was very peaceful and well maintained (there were guys scrubbing the pool floor every morning and collecting debris from the pool). The staff always had a smile and came by frequently to refresh our drinks while we were at the pool. The cocktail hour(s) were inviting with top shelf liquor, and although I do not remember the waiter during coffee time and cocktail hour, he remembered our drinks after the first day and had them waiting as soon we walked through the door. Our hotel room on the third floor was spacious with a great jacuzzi and two bathrooms with rainforest showerheads (this is a luxury coming from NYC).
The restaurants: We ate at Mitra (the buffet) the first 2 mornings - ample amount of food and nice ambience. Then we found out that the italian restaurant by the Royal Beach club pool served breakfast. The buffet was as expected - enjoyed the fruit (especially the papaya and passion fruit) and omelet bar. We ate at Caracola, the a la carte restaurant by the main pool everyday. The seabass ceviche was delicious! We had pizza one day - although the toppings on the menus are exotic (turkey breast, pesto, gorgonzola cheese, etc), they were more than happy to take requests - pepperoni and mushroom. We ate at the mediterrainian place our first night - the tuna tartar and shrimp bruchetta were delicious. The portions were small - we ended up ordering six appetizers and two entrees. We ate at Bamboo another night - the presentation of the tom yom soup was great. Our favorite was the italian restaurant (Fasinella) - we ate there for three nights. Our favorite items on the menu were: lamb shank, lasagna and beef carpaccio. Raul at the italian restaurant never let our wine glasses at dinner go empty and was very attentive. We didn't eat at the french restaurant - it was closed the day we wanted to go.
The main pool: Great pool with a TV at the swim up bar - great for football! The energy is higher than the royal beach club pool but it was a good change of pace during the day.
The spa: I went one day for the viva conchal package (reflexology, hot stone massage and facial). It was amazing - very peaceful and relaxing, Carolina did a great job. The spa was very well maintained and private - the sauna and hot tub were great to use before my massage and facial..
Golf: My boyfriend played 36 holes, I rode with him for the last 18 holes. The grounds were well maintained, the course was beautiful with great views of the ocean. He played 18 holes in 2 and a half hours. The golf course staff was very helpful and provided me with a booklet of birds to look out for on the course - we saw iguanas everywhere. If you want to play, bring your own balls and gloves as they are pretty pricey at the pro shop.
The beach is very private and clean. It's a good run from one end to the other with pretty views of the ocean and surrounding landscape.
Overall we had a great experience and can't wait to go back. Pura vida!!!

Room Tip: The Royal Beach club is worth it!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

2,046 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (818)
Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

This was our first trip to Costa Rica and it was a treat! There were 6 in our group from 9 to 65 and there was something at the Westin for everyone! The pool was clean, swim up bar was great, and the restrooms were always clean. Our room was spacious with enough room for the 4 of us no problem because we truly spent no time in the room except to sleep. The food was fantastic and we were never bored with the selection of the buffet although we dined at the specialty resteraunts. The only thing that was slightly disappointing was the lack of dress code for the guests. I prefer to see people dressed up and not in shorts and tshirts while dining. That is simply my preference. We were dressed each evening as well as the kids.
We scheduled all of our activities but 1 with Eric on the beach. His services were fantastic! The excursions were fun, safe and reliable. We were extremely impressed! The highlight was Pablo who took us surfing! He was so great, we booked him twice through Eric. The only thing we didn't book with Eric was the fishing trip. We booked that through Dee on the beach who was also wonderful to deal with! I never even saw the Westin Spa because Eric's wife Gigi gives professional massages right there on the beach! I went every day!
What else can I say? We cannot wait to return!

Doylestown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

We are a family of 5, so we had two rooms - one with 2 double beds for my teenagers and one with a king for my wife and I along with the pull out couch for my daughter. All was so comfortable and nice. The rooms were very nicely appointed, and we felt more than comfortable in the rooms. It would have been nice to have a door to the shower/bathroom area in the King room, but we managed just fine.

The resort was gorgeous. Beautiful rooms, well maintained facilities. We enjoyed the spa, pool, and beach very much. The beach is not huge, but more than sufficient. The pool was really fun for the whole family. My teens really enjoyed the activity center, and the guys that worked there were great at getting involved in the fun.

The food was great. From the room service to the restaurants, we were quite happy! Gained plenty of weight for sure. We preferred the latin restaurant best, but all were good.

When we first encountered the beach and the vendors waiting to pounce for excursions, massages, jet skis etc., I was concerned that this was going to be intrusive. Ultimately, it was low key, and we booked two excursions from Erik that were really great, and less expensive than the ones booked through the hotel.

If you go, my one suggestion is to bring cash for excursions and to have smaller bills (1s and 5s) for tipping. While inclusive, there were times when I would have liked to have left a few dollars for a tip, but couldn't get change in small dollar increments.

We were there 5 days...could have stayed an extra day or two and been thrilled.

Last, the staff was fantastic. Super friendly, and service was GREAT.

Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012 via mobile

We only stayed here one night but wish we could have stayed longer. The resort is lovely and the service was great. We loved the beach-white course sand and clear water. The views from the beach are gorgeous. Food was nicely presented at buffet and we had a fabulous dinner at the Italian restaurant. Our children enjoyed room service while my husband and I had a night out on our own. Please note that you can't see the ocean from most of the rooms- the resort has greenery between buildings and the beach, but this creates a wonderful atmosphere. We saw 10 monkeys in the trees while we were on the beach- very fun. Also note, it's pretty quiet, not a lot going on at night, so I wouldn't recommend the resort to night owls.

Stayed November 2012
Chandler, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

After days and days of research my husband and I decided to book a regular room at the Westin. When we arrived to the resort we figured out that it wasn't good enough for us. The front door had a large gap above and the door seemed like it's not locking properly. Also, we were hoping for a separate shower, which some of the regular rooms have, but they were not able to find one that day. We did not like tub/shower combo. The room felt too dark. After 4 hours of talking to the assistant manager and checking different rooms in the royal section, we decided to upgrade to Royal Suite on the third floor. We paid additional $100/per night. Best spent money ever! Free wi-fi which worked great every time. Huge room with the jacuzzi on the patio. Our room was facing main road but we never heard any noise and the view was awesome. We used room service at least 6-7 times. The food was delicious and it took about 25-30 minutes to get it delivered to the room. Our concierges, John and David were awesome!
Our housekeeper Hilda did a great job every single day. The room was spotless and, if we needed something extra, we would leave a note and she would have it ready for us. At the end of our stay, she came to thank us for the tips and little gifts we left for her. I was so touched.
They made all restaurant reservations for us and we had no problem getting those, even for the same day. My favorite restaurant was French, Cauri. My husband really liked Meditera. We also tried Italian and the food was great. The service in all these restaurants was outstanding. Our hostesses remembered our last name after couple nights, amazing! Mitra buffet was good but we enjoyed it better for breakfasts and lunches then dinners.
We met many locals and really enjoyed talking to them. Don't be afraid to book your tour on the beach. We booked Buena Vista tour with Eric and it was awesome. Also, look for Dee on the beach. He works with different tour company. We booked a river cruise with him as well as a tour to see giant turtles nesting (must see, out of this world experience!). We also went for a golf course tour, do not miss it. You will see all kinds of birds and trees and some great views.
Go to the beach, look for Diane, she gives the best massages we've ever had (and we get massages all the time, here in US). I went to the spa for one hour massage. It cannot compare to Diane's massages. And she charges $20/hour.
At the Westin, we felt like we are the part of a big family. Costa Rican people are so nice!
If you care about details and like to be pampered, go for the Royal. It's worth it. The weather was great, no rain at all for the entire stay (11/10 - 11/21).

Room Tip: The cheapest royal suites are all on the ground floor. Consider this when upgrading.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

Stayed here over Thanksgiving with the wife and four kids. Kids range from 7 to 17. We took two adjoining suites; one with a king bed, one with two doubles.

The rooms were great. The only drawback being that the bathrooms don't have doors. There are frosted glass doors to give privacy for toilet and shower, but no door for the whole bathroom.

Service was top notch. Everyone there was, at the very least, polite. Most of the staff were amazingly nice and helpful. We had the Family Club service, which included a dedicated Concierge who helped with everything from dinner reservations, to planning excursions, to small room or amenity related requests. You also get a poolside area and pool attendant. You also get food poolside if you are part of this club.

They have shuttles running throughout the large property, so if you don't feel like walking, you can just hop on and enjoy a quick, smooth ride.

Pool is fantastic. Beach is just outside the resort. It is phenomenally beautiful.
You will see plenty of Iguanas and Coati's (Costa Rica's version of the Raccoon).

The food is generally very good, and in some cases excellent (Faisanella). The kids loved the buffett (Mitra). We also recomnend Caracola, which is poolside.

With a family of six, we could not fathom paying the resort to do our laundry. Based on TripAdvisor mention, I contacted Wash-A-Go-Go in nearby Huacas. $4/load. An extra dollar if they fold. What a deal! Rick and his wife are Americans. Very nice and helpful.

Cedar Falls, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

This review is a bit late--but better late than never!
My husband and I vacationed to the Westin for our honeymoon in February 2012, staying 6 nights/7 days. It was my husband's first trip out of the county and without a doubt, the Westin far surpassed his expectations for what a vacation can be. We stayed in the adult-only "Royal Beach" section of the resort and I highly recommend it for any couple looking for a relaxing get-away without the noise that inevitably comes with children. (Although there is a large portion of the resort that is family-friendly). As "Royal Beach" guests, my husband and I were able to enjoy the 18+ pool and a breakfast buffet in the Italian restaurant, poolside, each morning. This was much more serene than the alternate buffet. I recommend the waffle with sweetened condensed milk and scrumptious Costa Rican coffee--a splurge, but well worth it!
The meals were fantastic and we enjoyed a different restaurant each night. But be warned that each restaurant, except for the buffet, takes reservations and unless you call early in the morning, you may miss out on your choice of menu for the evening. Concierge was more than happy to assist in making reservations for us on those days where we left early for excursions away from the resort. Truthfully, the entire staff was more than accommodating during our stay and were genuinely warm, eager to please, and made every attempt to greet us by our names--no small feat given the turnover I'm certain the resort experiences.
While the resort is lovely, I encourage visitors to take a few excursions to experience all that Costa Rica has to offer. Pablo was by far the best to work with with regards to coordinating our trips. He even helped prepare our paperwork for international travel and made sure that everything was in order for a smooth and seamless transfer back home. You can find him on the bottom floor of the main lobby.
As an all-inclusive resort, this is the one to go to while staying in Costa Rica. You won't be disappointed.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal? Share your experiences!