“Honeymoon Finale” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal

Save Saved
You added The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal to your Saves list
The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Playa Conchal, Bahia Brasilito, Playa Conchal 232-5150, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #1 of 3 hotels in Playa Conchal
madison, nj
“Honeymoon Finale”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

This was our final stop on our honeymoon. I had friends who highly recommended it and I can see why. It was fun, clean and a lot to do. The drinks were good, service was friendly, and the food was okay. Food and reservations are the reasons it is not getting five stars. There was plenty of it, however it was just okay. I compared it to another all Inclusive in DR and a recent Princess cruise. The other places were far superior. The Latin and Mediterranean restaurants were the best we tried. Also the reservations for dinner were a bit ridiculous. You had to secure a spot two days in advance in order for it not to be "full," however, once at restaurant there was always plenty of empty tables. Makes no sense to me.
Water aerobics was a blast, gym had everything one could want and was very clean, drinks were abundant and strong, grounds were impeccable.
Shuttle service was hit or miss. We would often walk to our destination before spotting a ride. Also, they were a no show on last day when I called for help with bags.

Overall, great spot and we would go again.

P.s. did a mtn/beach ATV with blue shirt guys outside gate on beach and it was PHENOMENAL. Tons of fun and only $65 for 2 hours per machine.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Zasha G, Community Manager / PR Coordinator at The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Congratulations for your wedding! and thank you for taking the time for share your experience with us.
The details are very important for us, and we will take note of your comments for improve our service, and offer everytime a better product for our guests.
Hope you visit us again soon! we will be waiting for you!
Best regards and Pura Vida!

Zasha Pérez Gallardo

2,040 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (817)
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Westin Oct. 21st - Oct. 26th for our Honeymoon. Its a beautiful resort that is well maintained and the staff is the friendliest I have ever encountered. Its an all inclusive resort so all food and drinks are included in the price of the room per day. They have lots of options for meals with different restaurants opened each night. We came during the 'off season' or rainy season in Costa Rica but it never rained a full day we were there. We had sunshine for two days. Some rain on Wednesday and some on Thursday but overall sunshine and beautiful weather. Because it was the off season not all of the Restaurants were open every day but they rotate them each evening to give a lot of variety.

They have lots of activities that you can sign up for through the resort with a company called Swiss Travel. They have ATV tours, volcano tours, ziplining tours, jet skiing tours, lots of options. Be careful booking tours with people other than resort officials because often times they don't have permits, insurance, and aren't meeting government safety regulations on equipment.

My wife and I stayed at the Royal Beach Club. If you don't have kids this is the best place to be. The pool is beautiful they have lots of chairs, a swim up bar, and people walking around constantly bringing you drinks or food if you wish it. Its a great 'kids free area'.

The staff at the Westin is amazing. They really make your stay very special and care free. Their very accommodating, helpful and friendly. One of the concierges knew we were there on our honeymoon and as we were coming back from dinner one night asked us if we were going to be in our room. He said: "Okay I have a surprise for you" and brought us champagne and chocolate covered strawberries. (And we didn't have to pay for it)

The one downside to staying at the Westin is the beach is pretty sad. The Westin is on the Pacific side of the country and everyone over there says the prettiest beaches are on the Caribbean side of the island. The Westins beach is over run with sticks and with people trying to sell you things(which was fairly common everywhere from people we talked to staying at other hotels). The pools make up for this however, I think.

We loved our stay at the Westin and from what we could tell from talking to couples staying at other hotels it is definitely one of the better places to stay in Costa Rica. I would highly recommend coming here.

Room Tip: If you don't have kids stay in the Royal Beach Club. It allows you access to a private pool that...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Christopher,
Congratulations for your wedding! thank you for choosen us for your honey moon.
We are glad that you enjoy all the facilities and the beautiful nature of our country, Costa Rica! we will send you kind comments to our Royal Beach Concierge.
We invite you to share your experience also in our facebook page @Westin Playa Conchal and in our new twitter account @WestinConchal
Hope you visit us again soon!
Best regards and Pura Vida!

Zasha Pérez Gallardo
California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

The hotel facilities are very good the rooms are very comfortable, although the noise from adjoining rooms can spoil your comfort. You could tell this was an American chain, since unlike all other major hotels in the area they charge for internet.

The beach is very picturesque, but not all that great to walk on. We far (far) preferred Tamarindo Beach - flat/firm sand, that went for miles.

My beef with the hotel was management team. We had problems with our laundry, after several hours of being promised it was on its way I asked to speak to the manager. I was given the old 'he's with another customer' story. I asked for him to call me when he was done. I was assured (just like with my laundry) that would happen in a few minutes. It never happened.

On the plus side, the restaurant staff were uniformly great and the food was good. Just let down by the impression the management team left.

Room Tip: Shop around for the same date/room. We found a price spread of over $100/night.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Bruce,
Thank you for your comments and for taking the time for write us and share your experience!
For us is very important, because if we have a fail you help us to fix it.
We will take note of your comments about the issues on your stay, and take actions on that.
Please, we will appreciate if you can write us an email with the problems that you had to our Guests Service Manager, Mr. Yasil Alvarado to yasil.alvarado@westin.com
Hope you visit us again, and let us bring you a better experience.
Best regards!

Charleston, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

The Resort was wonderful. Got tired of food - Pizza shop closed and I was told it was the best thing they had. Enjoyed all restaurants - Service was impeccable. Our room steward Bergan was the best we have ever had. Always willing to help. The people who cleaned our rooms even folded dirty clothes! Pool and drinks were amazing! But the best was Eric. Eric books tours just outside the gate to the beach. He can get you any tour you would like and save you about $10.00 per person on any tour. Be sure and have a massage by Eva (she is just outside gate to beach too) Magic hands my husband, Estaban says. Resort is super clean and the Costa Ricans are the hapiest people I have ever been around. Rented a car and drove all around - felt safe at all times. Just a beautiful vacation.

Room Tip: Don't be fooled by thinking the Royal Beach Club is on the beach. You pay more to be there and...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Gayle,
Thank you for taking your time for share your experience with us, we are glad that you enjoy your stay! and that you know more about our beautiful country, Costa Rica.
Thank you for your nice comments, we will send it to our staff, they will very happy! we invite you to share your experience also in our facebook page @Westin Playa Conchal and in our new twitter account @WestinConchal
We hope you can visit us again soon!
Regards and Pura Vida!

Saint Cloud, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Westin Oct 19-26th. We had a fabulous time! The property was great. Clean, well tended and beautiful. We upgraded to the Royal beach club upon arrival ( we paid the 40 dollar per person for the upgrade) I would say for me the money wasn't worth it because we did three full day tours and were not on the property that much. Had we been there more I think we would have thought differently. The best part of the beach club for us was the pool. The wait staff bring you drinks, food right to your chairs and it was quiet and peaceful, also we enjoyed the private buffet dining there was a pretty good crowd at the other buffet. We did have a private butler but to be honest we didn't see or use him much.
We had a bungalow by the main pool which was pretty close to everything. The room was spotless. We did have a problem with the air the first day. It was very hot in the room. Maintanance came right away and worked it out. We also had a problem with the water (shower) temp. It seemed to be a problem when a very large group (over 200 people) checked in. I assume due to high consumption of water. Early morning was the only time the water was really hot. Other than that the water was luke warm at best.
I agree with everyone else about the beach , not very nice but we weren't there for the beach so I was fine with it.
Food was very good. I wasn't sure what to expect since this was the first all inclusive that I had stayed at but I thought everything was very good . The french restaurant was my favorite. My boyfriend loved the pizza place for lunch. Also, the drinks were good and plentiful . I thought it was very funny at the pool bar when people were complaining that they didn't have bud light!! (they only had Imperial) Seriously, when in another country try something new!!! We also used room service several times and it was very good. They actually closed room service one night due to very heavy rain, we did not get back to our hotel due to a traffic jam until after midnight and we were starving they made our food , brought it out in the pooring rain! Much appreciated!!
We book our three tours through Swiss travel at the hotel . We did talk to Erik on the beach and
rented atvs from him but decided to go through the hotel for the other excursions. I am sure that Erik is ligit , I spoke to several people that booked through him and loved it. The only thing that I can say negative is that when I was asking Erik questions about the Nicaragua tour he was constantly looking around at the other people coming on the beach. I didn't feel like I had his attention and that he was to worried about missing a 'sale'. Swiss travel (Melvin) answered all my questions and offered alot of advise so we decided to go with them. I did pay about 10 to 15 dollars per person more through them. We had a great time. We did white water rafting, the arenal volcano tour and the nicaragua tour. They were all awesome.
Overall this was probably the best vacation I have taken . Costa rica is beautiful and we definetly look forward to returning

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Debbie,
Thank you for taking your time for share your personal experiences.
We are glad that you enjoy all the facilities and the natural beauties that you can find at hotel.
Thank you for your nice comments! we invite you to share your experience also in our facebook page @Westin Playa Conchal and in our new twitter account @WestinConchal
We hope you can visit us again soon!
Regards and Pura Vida!

Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Had a wonderful time there. the hotel was beautiful and clean. the people were very nice and helpful. the food was great. Each restaurant had different food then the other. The beach was clean and the water was calm. The pool was big and had a swim up bar. They have alot of different activities there to do in the resort. The room was amazing, big, and comfortable. We went on couple of excurtions. We got them though Erik Garcia. You can find him on the beach. His prices are better then in the hotel, and the service is great. We went on a Volcano excurtion and our guide, Rico Suave, was great. They were very nice, helpful and profesional. I will definitely be coming back. This was one of the best Vacations I ever took. Very reaxing and peaceful. We highly recoment it. New Yorkers

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Stayed at the Royal Beach and just can't say enough good about the service and courtesy of the staff. Cleanliness of the entire property was above expectation. Grew tired of the food but to be expected after two weeks.
The people just outside the gate on the beach were annoying but it's a public beach and Westin makes it known. Hard to make them take no for an answer. Other than that....fantastic place!
Highly recommend

Room Tip: Villas are very nice. Upgrade to Royal Beach side if you really enjoy being pampered. All the room...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Been to The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal? Share your experiences!