“Nice hotel let down by poor management” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal

Save Saved
You added The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal to your Saves list
The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Playa Conchal, Bahia Brasilito, Playa Conchal 232-5150, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Playa Conchal
California
“Nice hotel let down by poor management”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

The hotel facilities are very good the rooms are very comfortable, although the noise from adjoining rooms can spoil your comfort. You could tell this was an American chain, since unlike all other major hotels in the area they charge for internet.

The beach is very picturesque, but not all that great to walk on. We far (far) preferred Tamarindo Beach - flat/firm sand, that went for miles.

My beef with the hotel was management team. We had problems with our laundry, after several hours of being promised it was on its way I asked to speak to the manager. I was given the old 'he's with another customer' story. I asked for him to call me when he was done. I was assured (just like with my laundry) that would happen in a few minutes. It never happened.

On the plus side, the restaurant staff were uniformly great and the food was good. Just let down by the impression the management team left.

Room Tip: Shop around for the same date/room. We found a price spread of over $100/night.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Zasha G, Community Manager / PR Coordinator at The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear Bruce,
Thank you for your comments and for taking the time for write us and share your experience!
For us is very important, because if we have a fail you help us to fix it.
We will take note of your comments about the issues on your stay, and take actions on that.
Please, we will appreciate if you can write us an email with the problems that you had to our Guests Service Manager, Mr. Yasil Alvarado to yasil.alvarado@westin.com
Hope you visit us again, and let us bring you a better experience.
Best regards!

zasha.perez@westin.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (850)
Charleston, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

The Resort was wonderful. Got tired of food - Pizza shop closed and I was told it was the best thing they had. Enjoyed all restaurants - Service was impeccable. Our room steward Bergan was the best we have ever had. Always willing to help. The people who cleaned our rooms even folded dirty clothes! Pool and drinks were amazing! But the best was Eric. Eric books tours just outside the gate to the beach. He can get you any tour you would like and save you about $10.00 per person on any tour. Be sure and have a massage by Eva (she is just outside gate to beach too) Magic hands my husband, Estaban says. Resort is super clean and the Costa Ricans are the hapiest people I have ever been around. Rented a car and drove all around - felt safe at all times. Just a beautiful vacation.

Room Tip: Don't be fooled by thinking the Royal Beach Club is on the beach. You pay more to be there and...
Dear Gayle,
Thank you for taking your time for share your experience with us, we are glad that you enjoy your stay! and that you know more about our beautiful country, Costa Rica.
Thank you for your nice comments, we will send it to our staff, they will very happy! we invite you to share your experience also in our facebook page @Westin Playa Conchal and in our new twitter account @WestinConchal
We hope you can visit us again soon!
Regards and Pura Vida!

Saint Cloud, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Westin Oct 19-26th. We had a fabulous time! The property was great. Clean, well tended and beautiful. We upgraded to the Royal beach club upon arrival ( we paid the 40 dollar per person for the upgrade) I would say for me the money wasn't worth it because we did three full day tours and were not on the property that much. Had we been there more I think we would have thought differently. The best part of the beach club for us was the pool. The wait staff bring you drinks, food right to your chairs and it was quiet and peaceful, also we enjoyed the private buffet dining there was a pretty good crowd at the other buffet. We did have a private butler but to be honest we didn't see or use him much.
We had a bungalow by the main pool which was pretty close to everything. The room was spotless. We did have a problem with the air the first day. It was very hot in the room. Maintanance came right away and worked it out. We also had a problem with the water (shower) temp. It seemed to be a problem when a very large group (over 200 people) checked in. I assume due to high consumption of water. Early morning was the only time the water was really hot. Other than that the water was luke warm at best.
I agree with everyone else about the beach , not very nice but we weren't there for the beach so I was fine with it.
Food was very good. I wasn't sure what to expect since this was the first all inclusive that I had stayed at but I thought everything was very good . The french restaurant was my favorite. My boyfriend loved the pizza place for lunch. Also, the drinks were good and plentiful . I thought it was very funny at the pool bar when people were complaining that they didn't have bud light!! (they only had Imperial) Seriously, when in another country try something new!!! We also used room service several times and it was very good. They actually closed room service one night due to very heavy rain, we did not get back to our hotel due to a traffic jam until after midnight and we were starving they made our food , brought it out in the pooring rain! Much appreciated!!
We book our three tours through Swiss travel at the hotel . We did talk to Erik on the beach and
rented atvs from him but decided to go through the hotel for the other excursions. I am sure that Erik is ligit , I spoke to several people that booked through him and loved it. The only thing that I can say negative is that when I was asking Erik questions about the Nicaragua tour he was constantly looking around at the other people coming on the beach. I didn't feel like I had his attention and that he was to worried about missing a 'sale'. Swiss travel (Melvin) answered all my questions and offered alot of advise so we decided to go with them. I did pay about 10 to 15 dollars per person more through them. We had a great time. We did white water rafting, the arenal volcano tour and the nicaragua tour. They were all awesome.
Overall this was probably the best vacation I have taken . Costa rica is beautiful and we definetly look forward to returning

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Debbie,
Thank you for taking your time for share your personal experiences.
We are glad that you enjoy all the facilities and the natural beauties that you can find at hotel.
Thank you for your nice comments! we invite you to share your experience also in our facebook page @Westin Playa Conchal and in our new twitter account @WestinConchal
We hope you can visit us again soon!
Regards and Pura Vida!

Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Had a wonderful time there. the hotel was beautiful and clean. the people were very nice and helpful. the food was great. Each restaurant had different food then the other. The beach was clean and the water was calm. The pool was big and had a swim up bar. They have alot of different activities there to do in the resort. The room was amazing, big, and comfortable. We went on couple of excurtions. We got them though Erik Garcia. You can find him on the beach. His prices are better then in the hotel, and the service is great. We went on a Volcano excurtion and our guide, Rico Suave, was great. They were very nice, helpful and profesional. I will definitely be coming back. This was one of the best Vacations I ever took. Very reaxing and peaceful. We highly recoment it. New Yorkers

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Stayed at the Royal Beach and just can't say enough good about the service and courtesy of the staff. Cleanliness of the entire property was above expectation. Grew tired of the food but to be expected after two weeks.
The people just outside the gate on the beach were annoying but it's a public beach and Westin makes it known. Hard to make them take no for an answer. Other than that....fantastic place!
Highly recommend

Room Tip: Villas are very nice. Upgrade to Royal Beach side if you really enjoy being pampered. All the room...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Mississauga, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Super nice people working at this resort. Food is gourmet - French and Italian were excellent!! Buffet was always fresh and replenished. Healthy food choices!!! - so sick of all inclusives serving fries and burgers all the time. Fresh fruits and veggies, lots of variety - Top notch quality here! Beds were so comfortable, room super clean, fresh and modern up-to-date decore. Pool and Bar always clean. Mixed drinks were yummy... gotta try the dirty banana YUM!! Grounds beautifully kept.

This resort is suitable for families and couples.... singles may find it too quiet. Wonderful holiday!!!!! Nicest resort all around, compared to the many places I have been. If I were to complain about anything I would say the shuttles travel rather fast considering they share the walk/roadway with walking guests.

We used Erik Garcia for a few trips - he provided safe, fun excursions, yes cheaper than the hotel offered. You can also get a massage on the beach for 20-25 dollars for an hour. Proffessional quality though I must say they were rough massages...as an alternative, I heard the spa experiance is relaxing.

Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

My husband and I stayed here on our honeymoon. We had an amazing time! The property was beautiful. The staff was helpful and always very nice. The food was great! We were very pleased with our stay. This isn't the most authentic Costa Rican experience you could have, but it was still very nice and I'm thrilled we picked this property for our stay. I'd definitely stay again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal? Share your experiences!