“All inclusive =all annoying at this wanna bee Westin” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal

Save Saved
You added The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal to your Saves list
The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Playa Conchal, Bahia Brasilito, Playa Conchal 232-5150, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #1 of 3 hotels in Playa Conchal
New York City, New York
“All inclusive =all annoying at this wanna bee Westin”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2011 via mobile

The bed was a "heavenly bed" but that was the only thing heavenly about this "resort". For a 1000/night I expected a bit more.The service was unfriendly and unaccommodating..."no" was the new substitute for " my pleasure". The food was uninspiring and at the margin bad. The beach was pretty, the golf course nice but lacked ocean views, and the lobby looked somewhat new. The rest of the place was tired and needed a redo. I would stay at the J&W Marriott which is close and a MUCH MUCH better value...no comparison.

• Stayed December 2011

2,029 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (812)
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2011

We recently returned from the Westin, Playa Conchal. The resort is very pretty and the food was good. The service, for the most part, though, was sub-standard--particularly in the restaurants.

We had to constantly ask at meals to have our drinks either brought to us or refilled. It got to the point that when we dined at the restaurant by the pool for lunch, one of us would just walk to the bar to get a refill, b/c chances were, the waiters wouldn't remember. Also, at pretty much every meal, there was something we ordered that never got brought.

The worst (and most ridiculous) issue occurred the last night of our stay. We had made a reservation at the restaurant in the lobby for 8 people, which was accepted. However, when we arrived, they wanted us to split up 4 & 4, even though there was PLENTY of room in the restaurant for a table of 8. They told us they don't seat parties larger than 6?!?!? Ok, then why accept the reservation?? We ended up sitting at two 4 top tables that were side by side (and with the same server) and they told us under no circumstances to push the tables together. It was just ridiculous and incredibly unaccommodating.

My other major complaint was the "off limit" pool and bar for those that didn't have the gold wristband.

I felt like the most friendly and accommodating staff were the guys that drove the resort shuttles--and thank goodness for those, this resort is HUGE!

In summary--what I've been telling my friends is that this was a nice place but we have definitely visited other all-inclusives that had better service and were not as expensive. We might go back to Costa Rica, but will not go back to this resort.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2011

We stayed here for 3 nights in October 2011. The place was empty. Although we booked 6 months in advance, we kept re-booking as the rates dropped. In the end, we paid around $275/night total for 2 people. At that price, it's hard to complain about anything.

The food is outstanding for an all-inclusive. Far better than any Club Med, Beaches, etc. Having table-service at night, with multiple restaurants to choose from, is a great feature that really adds a feeling of luxury and relaxation to the venue.

The pools are beautiful, and the Royal Guest cabanas are great to lounge away the day in.

We did a day-trip with Tours Your Way and would highly recommend them.

Our room was very nice; the wifi worked great. We didn't spend a lot of time on the beach, but there seemed to be plenty of activities down there. The gym is very nice, and the golf course looked beautiful.

If you can get a good rate (I'd say less than $400/night for two people) this place is a no-brainer.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Abilene, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2011

We were here with a group of friends and had a good time. The country is beautiful and the hotel is very nice as well. On the down side they were renovating the beach front rooms that we had reservations to stay in. When we asked about it they said we had to call the company we booked through as it was their fault. Basically we paid for upgrade and didn't get it. On the bright side it was a real nice place with nice amenities. The beach area is beautiful and very private. We went on a tour that we booked on the beach and it was one of the funnest excursions we have ever done. It had zip lining, horse back riding, lunch, and a trip down some kind of river slide. We will definitely go back, but will make sure we get beach rooms next time.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2011

My wife, three children and I just returned from the Westin. We were there for 5 days including Christmas. For your information:
1. The rooms are large and very nice (just like the pictures show). However, they really don't understand the concept of a thermostat. They have a thermostat in the room with buttons that suggest that you can increase or decrease the temperature. However, regardless of what you want the temperature to be, they have set the temperature (at 65 degrees in both of our rooms). Your only choice is to change the fan settings or turn off the thermostat. We were able to get them to change their desired temperature setting to 69 degrees. No luck, however, on providing even moderate control of the thermostat.
2. The food is plentiful and good (but not great).
3. If you want to rent a car, may I suggest you get one off-premises. We rented a compact car on Christmas day at a cost of $173 (yeah, I know, my own fault). When I returned, I checked a few web sites and found that the rental agencies we are accustomed to (not the one in the hotel lobby) are nearby and much less expensive.
4. The staff is very accommodating and very friendly. Notwithstanding, confirming things is probably the order of the day. We arrived our first night late after restaurants were closed. We ordered room service and waited an hour and a half before calling again. They had lost the order. We ordered again and received the second order about 40 minutes later. About 11:15 pm (as we were climbing into bed), the first order was delivered. The next morning, as suggested, we made dinner reservations for the remaining four nights that we would be there. When we showed up for dinner the first night, we had no reservations (although they graciously accommodated us). I called to confirm the reservations at the other restaurants and found that they also had not been made (or lost).
Notwithstanding the above, we truly loved our time in Costa Rica. The people are warm and friendly, the weather was beautiful and the country is truly spectacular. At no time did we feel even the least bit in danger (and I was very comfortable letting my two daughters wander the spacious resort even long after dark). Likewise, we much enjoyed the Westin. The physical plant is beautiful, the staff is very eager to help and the all-inclusive nature was great.

Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2011

I recently spent 5 days at this resort and it was the worst vacation of my life. When I went to check in they had overbooked the hotel and proceeded to put me in a dirty bug-filled condo a few miles OFF the resort while still paying the premium Westin price. I had to fight with them to get me back on the resort when that is what I reserved 7 months before and with thousands of dollars. There are many other resorts in this area that would be a much better option. The food was good but that is the only thing. The service is terrible and it was clear they do not care about their guests but purely just that they get their money. I was obviously very disappointed with my time at Westin Playa Conchal and it was the worst start to a vacation I have ever endured. Please save yourself money and heartache over this overrated property.

Room Tip: Make sure you actually have a room on the property before paying the reservation.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
WPCManagement, Manager at The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal, responded to this review, December 28, 2011
Dear Mrs. Amber K

I am truly sorry for the inconveniences experienced due to the overbooking of our hotel. As you might know, overbookings happen in the hospitality and airline industry sporadically. It is most unfortunate and typically, hotel management avoids situations like this. I am sorry it happened in this occasion.

It is important to state that the selected property to move our guests was the Carao Condominium complex adjacent to The Westin Resort, sharing the same beach, with 24/7 transportation and also considered a premium property. I am sorry if their facilities did not cover your expectations.

Most importantly and when this happens, we insure to appropriately compensate the affected guests, just as the airlines do under similar circumstances. We were under the impression that you were satisfied with the remuneration provided by The Westin Playa Conchal, which included access to our exclusive adults-only Royal Beach Club facilities, which boasts a private pool, lounge and its own private restaurant. We felt this was more than fitting.

I am sorry that the situation was not handled properly by our staff and that the compensation was not to your expectations or satisfaction.

Victor Gomez
Hotel Manager
Gloucester, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2011

Just back from our stay at the Westin (December 11th). We are travel agency owners and stayed for one night, this trip was business and pleasure (we brought our 4 year old son).
We thought the food was great, especially the Italian Restaurant, wow what service and the food was AMAZING!!. The restaurant near the beach was VERY good too!! The beach is beautiful there. The rooms were so spacious and beautiful. The only thing I wish is that they had rooms that looked over the water, majority of rooms do not have a view.
If I had to say one thing they should change is to have free internet in the rooms!
The KIDS CLUB was ABSOLUTELY THE BEST!!!! My son did not want to leave....they painted his face, watched a movie, played games, had a great lunch and the teacher was nice (you can tell she loves kids).
I will definitely recommend this resort to my clients ....I actually booked two clients since I returned from their resort!!
If you like to golf, they have a wonderful golf course and tennis too!!
Great place and we would definitely like to go back!!
Thank you Westin for a wonderful stay at your resort.

Room Tip: Ask to be close to the pool or beach or you will have a long walk or have to call a golf cart to pic...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business

Been to The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal? Share your experiences!