“Friendly & helpful staff. Great location, cool room!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Cafe de Paris

Hotel Cafe de Paris
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Nicoya
Hotel Cafe de Paris
You added Hotel Cafe de Paris to your Saves list
Nosara, Nicoya, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Nicoya
Newport, Rhode Island, United States
“Friendly & helpful staff. Great location, cool room!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2012

I have stayed many places and thought this property was great. It is located in town, I was traveling alone and didn't want to stay in a place where I had to walk on the dark roads at night. Although Nosara is safe, I felt better in-town. The manager (Fabiano) offered to transport me from my old hotel to Cafe de Paris with no charge! Jackie, who helped me with reservations, was very pleasant and helpful. The room was great: had AC, great shower, and clean bed. WiFi intermittent. (Mostly on though.) If ever I had to, I could go downstairs for a stronger signal, did this once or twice only. I read other reviews and don't know what people were experiencing or expecting. Everything was great during my stay. And the food downstairs is very good. Nice menu and friendly staff in restaurant too. Nice to have it close by if you want to eat later in the evening, then you don't have to walk far to be heading home.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo

Business
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2010

Great hotel, great staff, wi-fi, nice pool, good food. The only drawback is that it is a good 15 minute walk from he beach, and the walk is dusty & hot, and not really much in the way of taxir service available

Surf lessons through the Innocent surf shop nearby were GREAT!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
los angeles
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2010

I was reading the other reviews, and I think the hotel must have changed management or something right about when I stayed there. The manager was nice and as helpful as he could be, but I always got the sense that he wanted to be more helpful but didn't have the back up he needed to make things happen. Our A/C went out halfway through our weeklong stay and they couldn't get the part to fix it. So we had the ceiling fan going the whole time. Our phone also went out, but the manager comped us free internet access. Not a big deal, you don't really need a phone when you're there, but it does make calling the front desk easier.

Bugs are just a fact of life in CR so I can't complain too much about that. You're staying in the jungle afterall. Housekeeping kept the room very clean, they oiled the floors which I think is also a bug repellent, but we also sprayed around the doorways and windows every night so the critters wouldn't find their way inside as easily.

Great location near the yoga institute and surfing. All the basic tourist needs are right around the hotel. It's not a noisy place, which I was happy with. Not a party place either. Rosie's across the way is the best local food we had and the bakery/restaurant has nice food too.

For our A/C troubles, we were given a voucher for $$ off our next stay. I'm not sure if it will be honored, but it was a nice gesture. I would probably rent one of the vacay cottages instead of the super deluxe room next time and share it with more friends. The super deluxe is not quite the right description for a basic room, bath, shower, stovetop and fridge. But we had a great time in Guiones anyway. The manager helped us book the zipline and was very helpful with various info. He even called me in the states to confirm my reservation beforehand which I did not expect from a laid back beach culture. You just kind of have to let things go when you're out there!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
Halifax
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2009

I must say, despite one issue my overall stay was pretty good. Our first night we had flying ants in our cabin, as it hasn't been used in a while which we were later told. After a few phone calls the girl at the front desk was able to get us switched to one of the hotel rooms attached to reception/office, instead of in the cabins. Let me just say, this room was AMAZING compared to the cabins, and was only $10 more expensive. It was very modern, had a computer with internet an incredible shower and huge bed! It was very, very clean and if you go to this hotel, try to get one of these rooms, it is SO worth it.

Beach is not far from this hotel at all unless you are EXTREMELY lazy. It is a nice 5 minute walk, which is perfect. There is also a really cute pool with lounge chairs and a restaurant which was pretty good.

Overall, good stay. Try to get one of the hotel rooms instead of a cabin!

• Stayed June 2009
Costa Rica
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2009

This past visit to Cafe de Paris was truly shocking, but more than anything dissapointing. I had in previuos years visited this hotel on various ocassions and had very fond memories of the time spent there.
What was different this time? Here are the facts: the hotel feels tired, it has lost completely its charm. Its dirty, discovering 5 big coackroaches in a small room tells you how many more you don´t see. But most amazing is what they call "service".
We made our reservation, thru a 10% deposit. That was it, no email, no info, no terms and conditions, no futher explanations, no nothing. We arrive to reception to find a young women that because of an OBVIUOS ABSOLUTE LACK of training (not her fault) is not prepared to represent the hotel.
Due to our understandable dissapointment for what we had reserved, we decide to stay only one night. We had paid for it the fisrt day, so WE ASKED if there is any cost for leaving and not using the second night. She answers back NO.
To end the story, about a week or so later, we find out that our credit card has an UNAUTHORIZED CHARGE for a cancellation fee. We never even signed a blank voucher form, but somehow they passed again our credit information and charged the fee. Not only is the hotel badly managed, but they also STEAL your money!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Long Beach , Los Angeles
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2009

Too far from the beach ... Too expensive ... I do not recomend !

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
Costa Rica
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2009

Initially it seemed to be very clean, but when I enter in the bed a cockroach appears … Also observes rates in the hotel, very disagreeably. I do not recommend it …

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Cafe de Paris? Share your experiences!