“No Sleep” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Best Western El Sitio Hotel & Casino

You added Best Western El Sitio Hotel & Casino to your Saves list
Best Western El Sitio Hotel & Casino
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   175 Mts - West Of Main Entrance, Liberia 5000, Costa Rica   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
3 x 2 Promotion
Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Liberia
San Jose, Costa Rica
“No Sleep”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

We will never stay in this Best Western Hotel again because of two big problems. First, the noise from the nightclub across the street kept us awake until early in the morning. Second, it is very obvious that the hotel management has never slept in one of their beds. The pillows were a nightmare-big and very hard. We even tried rolling up a towel to make a pillow, but the towels were not fluffy and so not comfortable either. The breakfast was good and the grounds well taken care of, but we came to sleep and that didn't happen!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
HOTELELSITIO, General Manager at Best Western El Sitio Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Dear Linda M,

Thank you for your cooperation in taking the time to complete our comment card following your visit to the Best Western El Sitio Hotel & Casino.

Please accept my deepest apologies for the inconveniences that you suffered during your stay in our hotel. Unfortunately the “nightclub” is not associated with our hotel. Unfortunately, we have no control over the noise produced by it. We have contacted the club regarding the noise problem into the morning hours, but have been unable to achieve a satisfactory response. We have reported the noise to local authorities but have not been able to get their cooperation in this matter. We are still striving to find a solution to his problem on the weekends.

Regarding the pillows, please note that we are currently in the process of replacing all those pillows not comfortable for the satisfaction of our guests.

We are striving to achieve a high level of service as per Best Western standards, and again I apologize for your inconvenience. Thank you for your comments.

Mr. Herold Ovares
BEST WESTERN El Sitio Hotel & Casino
Liberia, Guanacaste.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Quebec
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

I was on a medical trip to Liberia and booked the hotel for 2 nights. Basically, the hotel is very well situated near downtown Liberia. Just near by, you will find a shopping plaza, burger king, pizza hunt, Mcdonalds etc....I guess you get the picture..This not a new hotel, a little dated but it is very clean with nice big rooms, big pool, large training room with aerobic machines, free weights etc. The grounds are beautiful with all the mature growth. The staff are very friendly and the free breakfast is very good....Hey, this is not a 4 star hotel but very adequate for the cost. Off season rate was $60.00 USD...Overall a nice refuge upon arrival for beginners of the Costa Rican life...Once you have a car and feel more comfortable strike out towards the beaches and settle in. Lots of deals over there also, especially in the off season.

Room Tip: Book a room in the back facing the pool on the first floor.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
New York City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

Great location..this hotel is at the center of Liberia and 14 km from the international airport...room was very clean..breakfast is included in the price...very close to shops and restaurants...
Un lindo lugar para pasar en familia o para una escapadita...PURA VIDA...

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

So, we didn't actually spend a night at this hotel, but we had to spend 3 hours there waiting for a shuttle. The people at the front desk could not have been any nicer to us, holding our bags while we got some food, letting us use the pool, then making multiple calls when our shuttle was late to make sure we got on our way safely. They really went above and beyond and we wanted to give them some credit.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Peterborough, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

We stayed at this hotel in Liberia at each end of our stay in Costa Rica, and both times we enoyed a clean comfortable room, good functional (although small) bathroom, lovely pool and grounds, and very nice restaurant with great complimentary breakfast. I booked the hotel on Expedia, and feel the rate of (about) $60 per night was very fair.
Front desk staff is mostly helpful, although I would likely have fared better if my Spanish had been better.
I would recommend this hotel without doubt.

Room Tip: Our room was on the ground floor both times, overlooking the pool. It was quiet and comfortable eac...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here in January and was misled by front desk on price of room. I decided to give it another chance in March
but had an even worse experience. The first room they assigned me was supposedly a NON SMOKING room. I walk my bags all the way up the stairs to the far end to find my room stunk of smoke! Hmm a non smoking room? ( so much for quality
of service, quality control ) I went back downstairs to the front desk to let the young lady know I wanted a new room since
my room stunk of smoke. She seemed confused and didn't know why I didn't want the room. She struggled to find me
another room it seemed ( maybe because I requested a 2nd floor room on the pool side as not to be disturbed at night
by the VERY LOUD music from the bar across the street ) The young lady gave me a new key to a room on the 2nd floor
this time but directly across from the bar. I opened the door the room looked like it just was vacated. The young lady responded by saying they will clean it for me and it will only take 15 minutes! As well that she wanted me just to put
my bags in the room! Are you kidding me? This time I could see she was struggling with finding me a room I could see.
She said she only had a room on the first floor now. I said it was fine as long as it was clean and didn't stink of smoke.
The room seemed fine until I turned the a/c on and heard and saw the water running down the wall from the a/c unit onto
the floor. At this point I didn't care and moving hotels at this point was not an option since I had already taken a shower
and they would of charged me anyways! Needless to say I couldn't wait to checkout in the morning. In fairness to the hotel someone did respond to my complaint via Best Western site but too little too late. I never will stay here again. I'm sure mgmt was never even told about my room problems at all and they only knew about it because of my complaint via BW.

Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
HOTELELSITIO, General Manager at Best Western El Sitio Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Dear Traveler:

As I stated in my previous reply to this same complaint recently, please accept my sincere and heartfelt apologies for your very unfortunate and unpleasant experience in our hotel. Some of your issues are being dealt with by replacing all of our front desk personnel with new, well trained people. I was in the process of trying to hire new staff when you checked in the other day.

Although I can’t change what has happened in the past, I am committed to ensure that these things don’t happen in the future. Rather than deal with your many issues on a point by point basis I can only assure you that the problems which were not handled correctly by the receptionist as well as the problems with your room which were the fault of the housekeeping staff, are being addressed and the appropriate action will be taken. This will entail either further enhanced training of the housekeeping and cleaning staff, or the firing of those in our staff who are negligent in their duties contrary to their explicit instructions regarding the expected high standard of a Best Western hotel.

Your stay in our hotel was definitely a guest’s worst nightmare, and I can assure you that this type of situation is totally unacceptable by me, and will not happen again in the future. Thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention.

Herold Ovares Mora
General Maganer
BEST WESTERN El Sitio Hotel & Casino
Liberia, Guanacaste, CRC.
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

My family stayed at this Best Western Hotel and upon leaving we were told by desk personnel that we would only need to be at the airport via taxi a half hour before departure time. We were there a half hour before departure time and the gate was closed to our flight so we missed it! As well, it took us 45 minutes to sign out of the hotel because they inadvertently charged us $9,047.00 instead of $97.00 and we signed before reading closely. Only then were we told that nothing could be done since they were not given authority to reimburse via their computer in any way. Even that reality we could handle but they showed not a fraction of any regret or remorse and neither was an apology offered at any time. We might as well have been talking about the weather, as opposed to the fact that our Visa card was put on hold for a week despite talking to our bank.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
HOTELELSITIO, General Manager at Best Western El Sitio Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, March 6, 2013

I am deeply disappointed we failed to give you the fine attention and consideration that we strive for with all our guests – the type of service we pride ourselves in.

Please be assured that your comments have been reviewed in detail and discussed with our Front Desk staff, and steps have been taken to ensure that these serious mistakes and apparent lack of concern or apology will not be repeated in the future.

Regarding the problem with the incorrect charge on your credit card, I must explain that it was not possible to correct this error immediately because of the bank policies in Costa Rica regarding international credit charges. I sincerely hope that this problem has since been solved to your satisfaction.

If any of our staff advised you that you did not have to be at the airport until half an hour before the flight, I sincerely regret this. Our staff has been instructed to not give any information regarding the airlines, as we are not affiliated with them. I do believe it is the airline standard that for international flights the passengers should be at the airport two hours prior to departure. Of course I realize that your delay with the incorrect credit card charge only exacerbated the situation.

I can only extend my deepest apologies for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay at our hotel.

Regards,

Herold Ovares M.
Best Western El Sitio Hotel & Casino
Liberia, Guanacaste, CRC.

Been to Best Western El Sitio Hotel & Casino? Share your experiences!