Background: I've been traveling to CR at least once/year since 1992 and have Tico friends in Liberia, so I've spent many days/nights in this lovely little city that has personality and charm.
After my "regular" Liberia motel closed unexpectedly, I booked two nights here in July, 2011 so I could be right in the center of the action for the end-of-July holiday celebrating Guanacaste's annexation ("Anexion") from Nicaragua by Costa Rica in the early 1800's. This two day event is capped by a horse/rider procession of over 1000 riders from all over CR but also features traditional music and dancing. And a State Fair rivaling the best ones in the US. If you can be in Liberia around July 25, plan to attend this celebration to get a sense of the Guanacaste traditions. A great time to be in Liberia!
So, El Sitio...A bit reminiscent of any number of nameless anywhere US hotel chains. Room was nothing to write home about but there were none of the glaring issues I've read from other reviewers. Either they're sprucing up (esp for the Anexion) or I just got lucky. The pool is unquestionably the best feature; it's huge and clean with both sunny and shady spots. I chilled for hours after shooting the Anexion. It's walking distance from "downtown" Liberia and I got a good price for three nights, so it met my needs.
Didn't eat there but highly recommend Paso Real on the corner by the Church and Central Plaza and also Pronto Pizzeria about 3 blocks behind the Church for clay oven-style pizza. My favorite pizza anywhere.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Best Western El Sitio Hotel & Casino offers 52 standard rooms, complete with 2 queen-size beds, air conditioning, cable tv, coffe maker, hot water showers, hair dryer, safe box and closet. Our hotel site is beautifully landscaped with jungle flora surrounding two shimmering pools... One for adults, one for children. We also have tennis courts, a gymnasium and play areas for kids. In addition, we have facilities for meetings and events with capacity for 300 guests.Located in Liberia, capital city of the Guanacaste region, Best Western El Sitio stands adjacent to the Panamerican Highway, just 30 minutes from the beautiful tropical beaches of the Pacific. Visitors have easy access to a myriad of activities including surfing, sailing, fishing and SCUBA... And close proximity (25 minutes by car) to Costa Rica s national parks with waterfalls, bike trails, capony tours and more ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA and Priceline so you can book your Best Western El Sitio Hotel & Casino reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Best Western El Sitio Hotel And Casino
- Best Western El Sitio Hotel Liberia
- Best Western Liberia
- Liberia Best Western
- Best Western El Sitio Hotel & Casino Costa Rica/Liberia