“little oasis in Liberia” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Casa de Papel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Liberia
Casa de Papel
Save Saved
You added Casa de Papel to your Saves list
Calle Real, Liberia, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Liberia
Vancouver, Canada
“little oasis in Liberia”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

Liberia is a safe, very clean little city and Casa De Papel is situated very close to restaurants and the central square, so it's nice to stroll about and look at the shops.
The hotel is small with a beautiful covered seating area/eating area in the courtyard. Very pretty and well kept garden and pool. Very clean.
The staff is very friendly and accommodating. You can do a shop at the super down the street and store your beer/snacks/what have you in the fridge.
Reasonably priced and a hearty breakfast with fresh fruit, eggs, toast etc. is included. Super glad we took a chance on this hotel as were the other guests we met there. Will be back!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Merced, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2014

My favorite part about this hotel is the outside - the entire building is covered in old Costa Rican newspaper articles. It's really beautiful and fun to look at! As for the hotel, the prices are good and the service is great. The staff is friendly and able to speak English if needed. The rooms are a little small, but I felt that it was very fair for the price.
Our room didn't have air conditioning or even a fan, so this was my biggest complaint because it was HOT. Luckily, I was able to borrow a fan from Instituto Estelar Bilingue, an English / Spanish school that is directly across the street.
Inside the hotel, there is a small pool that is really pretty and surrounded by greenery and hammocks - a very relaxing place to be.
Overall, I enjoyed my experience with this hotel and I would definitely stay again!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

Nice historic home with easy to find location,but disappointing in most other ways. Room was stuffy even with the A/C. Futon mattress on a platform. Pool was a bit cloudy and uninviting, but the setting was beautiful with lots of greenery and a large covered living space nearby. Breakfast was flavorless, dry scrambled eggs with dry toast, no butter or jam offered. Coffee was good, no juice or water offered.
Keep in mind this city has very few street signs.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Malaga, Spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014 via mobile

My friend and I needed a budget place where to spend the night in Liberia before our departure to Europe. This place is a piece of art, beautifully decorated in a retro style. I loved the patio where guests could relax by the pool. The location is ideal: just a short walk the centre, and bus stop to the airport, although one of the staff offered us a lift in his car to the bus stop. Giovanni, the young receptionist, has been extremely nice and helpful.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
San Jose, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

While I didn't actually end up staying overnight in Casa de Papel, I feel the need to express my gratitude to Geovany, who was on night duty and assisted me far above the call of duty. I arrived from the airport to Casa de Papel around 10pm to find it was fully booked (there was an issue with my reservation which was really nobody's fault, just sheer dumb luck). The house, by the way, looked wonderful. Although I was stranded, Geovany did everything in his power to help me find a new place, calling up other hotels and trying to negotiate discounts for me - he even personally accompanied me to a couple down the street to make sure I was safe, and offered to set me up with a bed in the office if I couldn't get settled elsewhere. In the end he found me a comparable hotel and I'm very grateful for his assistance, I will certainly stay here on my next visit to Liberia!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
SARATOGA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

I loved the authenticity of this very original home of an era ago. Much of the architecture and interior design including furnishings and decor have been kept intact, so it was quite an experience to be in it. The very large bathrooms (we stayed in two different rooms during our stay), however, have had minor repairs (exposed pipes and tile work) that were done rather poorly - which was such a shame. The property has private enclosed parking behind the house and that was a plus for us. It's also in the center of the old (architecture) town with restaurants within short walking distance.

The inn keeper, Vladimir (Jose), was kind and responsive. When we told him our needing to leave by 5:30AM, he was quick to offer making us breakfast by 5.

Room Tip: The front street can get noisy in the morning due to car traffic.