“Worst Experience EVER!!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Ecoplaya Beach Resort

You added Ecoplaya Beach Resort to your Saves list
Ecoplaya Beach Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   Bahia Salinas | Plaza Colonial Escazú, La Cruz 837-126, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in La Cruz
Liberia, Costa Rica
“Worst Experience EVER!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

Where to begin? Well, first thing I could tell you is... AVOID THIS HOTEL!! We stayed for a night in a junior suite, they gave us a 50% discount ($160 full price) because the room was not fully clean yet (we're talking 5 pm!). The room itself wasn't so terrible but the customer service, the prices, the beach, the feeling of being in a "hostel" movie made the whole experience my worst, ever!! For a typical meal (nothing fancy: rice and beans, a small piece of beef and cabbage salad) you end up paying over $13!! And it doesn't include the natural beverage, this one costs a little bit more than $4.
Now, we ran out of water three different times while our stay (only one night). No one told us they were going to "cut" the water supply (supposedly to fix some leakage). We had to brush our teeth using bottled water! The bathroom didn't have any soap, the TV (the oldest you've probably seen) was kinda broken (channels were hard to tune in), the furniture was perhaps as old as the TV... The schedule and menu offered in the restaurant were very disappointing. The hotel is in the middle of nowhere, literally. Overall, you had the feeling you were staying in a ghost hotel even though it had no vacancy (apparently, it is full because of the contractors, engineers and other workers who are currently building a fancy hotel nearby (owned by the richest Nicaraguan family) and some exchange students who have some sort of program in this Godforsaken town.
My little advice to y'all: DO NOT SPEND YOUR PRECIOUS TIME AND MONEY HERE!!!

• Stayed July 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

I stayed here with GLA, a teen mission trip group. We loved it and had an amazing time. It's a beautiful hotel on the beach. Only issue I had was that a few rooms had wasps, not infestations, but they flew in from outside. It didn't really affect my overall opinion, and I left Costa Rica having faced my fear of bees. I would recommend this hotel to big groups of people, especially those planning on doing any type of volunteer work.
The food was spectacular. Cooked fresh every night. That was my favorite part, as well as the staff. Everyone was very kind and friendly.

• Stayed July 2012
Seattle, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

There are so many things wrong with this hotel I not sure where to begin. I am going to start with the booking process. This hotel is used by a time share company and Resort Stay Vouchers will sell off the unused rooms. Trying to book a room and never talking to anyone is frustration in itself. But since this is about the Hotel and not Resort Stay Vouchers and will keep it to how bad the hotel is.
I am a flight attendant who travels quite often. I don’t mind cheap rooms at cheap prices but when I pay close to 1000.00 for 6 days, I expect a certain quality. None of which this hotels has.
First, the closest airport is Liberia. It will cost you $100.00 for a taxi to get to the hotel if you do not rent a car. It is highly suggested you rent a car that can travel on a bumpy dirt road for an hour each way. The hotel is in the middle of nowhere and the tours the hotel offers is very expensive, $200-300 depends on which tour you would like. It is at least a two – three hour drive to the attractions.
Second, you think you can relax on the beach a day or two. Wrong! That is the first thing they tell you. Even if you did the wind is out of control. This is a good place to wind sail for a reason. We thought we could go to the pool or hot tub with a cocktail. Wrong! The pool and the hot tub is ice cold.
Third, the food and drink situation. The restaurant hours are 7a-9a breakfast, 12p-2p lunch and 7p-9p for dinner. That’s it. If you want a snack, too bad. If you want a beverage for the pool, too bad. If you want some ice for your beverage because you were smart and brought some with you, too bad. There is not a store, bar, or restaurant near the hotel and you cannot get anything if the restaurant is closed. Plan ahead.
Fourth, No one is there. It is a ghost town. Sounds nice, until you want to take a tour. They like to have a minimal of 4-6 people on the tours and will offer certain ones.
Fifth, the rooms are disgusting and unkempt. Our kitchenette had roaches, not just one but a colony of roaches that had a next under the stove. Our kitchen sink had a leak every morning and the bathroom had a lot of mold around the edges. No water pressure in the shower and barley any water. I would have had a better bath with a bucket of water and a bar of soap.
I hope you have a wonderful time in Costa Rico but you won’t if you stay here.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

We followed the recommendation in the Frommer's Costa Rica travel guide. We thought Ecoplaya would be a good stay and reserved one of the junior suites superior for $160 a night. The own private beach is okay and the area as well but the hotel was like a ghost house. The resort maybe had its good time 10 years ago but since then nothing has been done which is proofed by old amenities, TVs, mattresses, etc.
We arrived at our suite and a fridge was missing; they brought it in after a phone call. Funny, you stay in a junior suite with a kitchen and have to remind them that something essential like a fridge is missing! Many other kitchen amenities were missing as well. The rooms were spacious, somewhat clean but the walls were dirty, insects crawled around and the bathroom was old and nasty. Dinner and breakfast were really bad, most of it was not available as other travelers stated before. Moreover, it was overpriced and we had better food from street vendors in Costa Rica than at this resort. Another nice example: they did not change once the table cloths during our 2 nights stay.
In a nutshell: This place is bad, stay away!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

Rundown and neglected are typical reactions to this hotel. As others, RCI exchange and we ended up staying 2 nights only- instead of the week. The location is very nice but there is no concern for upkeep- things are broken and not repaired. The double suite that we had was roomy but there were no kitchen amenities like a stove, utensils and toaster or toaster oven. (I thought this was a timeshare?) Pool was nice and the best thing about the hotel. Restaurant- a four page menu but whatever we ordered was not available. We finally said to tell us what you have and then we will order. Preparation was okay for the fish- what we all ordered, but that was it. We went to Play Jobo from this location and had a very nice time there; it is a beautiful beach and a nice way to spend a few hours. There is so much potential here but stay away until someone decides to put some money and management in this location.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Managua, Nicaragua
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

Payed $30 for a hot bumpy taxi drive to nowhere. were ignored at front desk for several minutes before desk clerk finally acknowledged us. We were planning to stay for 3 nights and almost walked out when we were ignored, but our taxi was already gone and we would have to wait another hour for another to be called down. We decided to stay.

I asked if the A/C was working, as it was sweltering hot and if the satellite TV was working. A/C was okay, but the cable was down apparently. I asked when it would be back. The clerk giggled and said that the cable company didn/t feel like sending technicians to the resort because it was too far away from San Jose. (Seems like it had been out for a long while). Isn/t this a Best Western, I asked. She giggled again. Not a Best Western anymore, although it mentioned it on the website and various travel sites. How come its advertised like that, I asked. They hadn/t gotten around to changing it, even after several years... She offered a $5 discount... We payed and made our way to our room.

The resort was eerily quiet...no music...no people...it was an absolute ghost town. Our room was large on the second story and we had a great view of the moldy pool and the dilapidated restaurant roof. The palm tree fronds were falling off and there was black plastic to keep the rain from dripping into the restaurant. The beds were okay with threadbare linens thrown on the thin lumpy mattresses, but they were passable. A/C worked okay, but TV was just snow, not even local channels. I ventured down to the restaurant for refreshments. They didn/t have most items on menu and the food was extremely overpriced. I did have a delicious fresh pineapple smoothie with rum, but went to bed hungry.

The next morning we went for breakfast, but someone on staff lost the keys so they could not serve or prepare anything until they found the set of keys. They couldn/t even give us coffee or water. Finally, we had our tiny ration of food, looking forward to kayaking and biking as we saw advertised on a flyer on the front desk. I asked the waiter about the activities and I was instructed to ask at the front desk. I pointed out the flyer to the clerk and was told that they didn/t have any of that, but that I could take a 1/2 hr or more walk to the beach outside of the resort. I asked if there was a restaurant or convenience store where we could buy snacks or water. Nothing. Nothing to eat...Nothing to do... We were the only guests and the staff was not very friendly or helpful, so we decided to boot it out of there ASAP. We made our way to Liberia and stayed at the Diria, which was wonderful, by the way.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
San Juan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

Great place, Great hotel. I spent 3 days in the hotel and I really enjoyed my stay there. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The room was comfortable and clean. The locations were amazing, especially Jobo beach. I hardly recommend the hotel for people who love meditation and relaxing time. I will return to Ecoplaya Hotel

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Ecoplaya Beach Resort? Share your experiences!