“Great hike through the rainforest” 5 of 5 stars

Book ahead on Viator
Top Rated
$99*
and up
Waterfall Canopy Zipline Tour at Adventure Park...
Type: Bridges, Trails, Outdoors
More attraction details
Owner description: Experience the rainforest through an amazing hike and the incredible hanging bridges close to the arenal volcano, offering bird watching and natural history tours.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Cleveland, Ohio
11 attraction reviews
“Great hike through the rainforest”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

We were told that this was an excellent hike on good paths and that was true. It was also a lush rainforest with great views and interesting plant life. We saw agouti, squirrels, coati and monkeys as well as cool birds, including a Trogon. We had hiked through the rainforest at ground level in another location, but this place allowed us to hike through the tree tops on the hanging bridges. It's a completely different experience. The only downside was some family allowed their kids to run and jump on the bridges to make them swing. It didn't feel dangerous, but it is unpleasant.

Visited December 2013

Wisconsin
8 attraction reviews
“6 suspension bridges and 10 grid bridges through a rainforest!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

Initially, I thought I would just do the shortcut, but it came way too soon. My husband and I thought we would just take it slow. Happy I wore walking shoes. My daughter-in-law had more flexible shoes and it was more difficult. Like others have mentioned, be wise about your footwear. The trail is waffle concrete blocks that are well worn. You are walking on top of the grids. It would be easy to twist your ankle if you are not paying attention. We did not hire a guide. At times you were walking at tree top level. My husband and are retired and would recommend the tour.

Toronto, Canada
“got to see monkeys!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

Beautiful hike, definitely not strenuous at all but my husband and I are in our early 30's. We saw tour buses of people who were at least retirement age so is probably fine for most! We took a guide arranged through our hotel so it ended up being pretty expensive, but I would say worth it because I don't think we would have seen the spider monkeys if we hadn't had him, which was a really cool experience and he gave us some good info about the plants/animals etc. Some great views of the rainforest as well! Wear good runners or hiking shoes like everyone has mentioned.

Twin Falls, Idaho
4 attraction reviews
“Beautiful Views”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

I really enjoyed doing this excursion for the views and the unique nature of the hanging bridges. We were able to see some beautiful wildlife. We had a guided tour and our guide, Gerald, seemed very knowledgeable. The only downside to our tour was that is was extremely slow since we were with a much older population (mostly retirees). If our tour had been divided by age groups, I think it would have been more enjoyable for everyone.

4 attraction reviews
“Unique way to see the rain forest”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

Our family really enjoyed this attraction. Yes, it costs money, but it is a novelty that we do not have at home and is an enjoyable way to see the rainforests. Children under 11 are free, and Students receive a reduced rate, so it only cost us $62 for a family of four. Definitely take the longer loop and go down to the waterfall. We did not use a guide, but we still saw monkeys and leaf cutter ants and lots of butterflies. On a clear day, there are amazing views of Arenal from the main observatory area. Wear sneakers or other climbing shoes as the pavers are rough on the feet.

Visited December 2013