“Very, very shady practices...felt like a hostage!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Lands in Love Hotel & Resort (Tierras Enamoradas)

You added Lands in Love Hotel & Resort (Tierras Enamoradas) to your Saves list
Lands in Love Hotel & Resort (Tierras Enamoradas)
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   Rte 702 btwn San Ramon and La Fortuna | 32 km from San Ramon, 1 km to the right, Arenal Volcano National Park CR 4250, Costa Rica   |
“Very, very shady practices...felt like a hostage!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here about 3 years ago. I bought a last minute package from tripadvisor or some other vacation website. I was so excited about all the excursions, gluten-free food, and remoteness of this place. Someone equates his place to being in an episode of LOST, bit they were right. They will be in total control over you, whether you liked it or not. The staff of this place bothered me so much, even 3 years later I felt compelled to write a review to warn others.

The room had bugs (large foraging non-biting ants, non-threatening) and the bathroom was a little dirty, but that didn't bother me, it was the shady practices of the staff that got me.

First, there was no way you can make a phone call, all the phones were mysteriously broken. You couldnt use the internet either. communication to the outside world was not permitted. Apparently there was a lightening strike, but of course all the phones for the staff worked. If you wanted a cab, they had to arrange it for you, at a rate of $25.00 to go just 3 miles. If you were lucky enough to arrange your own an for the same trip, it was only 6 bucks, but if they found out, it was was very bad for the cabbie and he was threatened with trouble.

Also, if you wanted to eat off premises, they would harass you and tell you that it was a bad idea as that food was "unhealthy" and bad for you. I was there for a bit of culture, meeting the locals and eating their food was high on my list. So, of course I had to pay for a 25 dollar cab if I wanted 3 dollar tacos. Every meal typically cost at least 25 bucks when they were done nickel and diming you.

You couldn't get anything done unless the mysterious manager in charge of operations approved it. That meant waiting a long time for an answer, usually a "no" or a new exorbitant fee. It was really, really weird. They would consult him, but there was no evidence this guy existed! It was just like the character "Jacob" on LOST!

Wanna take an excursion, it is gonna cost you a lot more than you expect! 80 dollars per person to visit a tour does NOT include transportation so, add another 80 dollars! Wanna rent a car, it is gonna cost you not only the cost of the rental, but also the cost for them to drive it in from a location they say is over 2 hours away. So they force you to use their transportation. It is like you are being held hostage and you can escape if you pay a hefty fee!

The cabbies are treated like dirt and interrogated if they bring the patrons in later than expected. Our cabbie took a back road to show us the countryside. This took a little longer, but it was wonderful! For this he was chastised in front of us upon our arrival. The staff member wanted to know what he were doing, why were we late...not concerned, but suspicious! When we tried to leave once, we were stopped and asked where we were going, what were we up to? What kind of hotel, especially at these prices, interrogates their guests?!

The trails are covered in horse poop. I love to hike and was not pleased with that. The zip line guys were great, a lot of fun and friendly. They were not the same employees that ran the hotel, obviously.

We were charged 25 bucks to have one load of laundry done. It was ridiculous. It was the equivalent of a small load I should have just washed in my sink.

After day 3 we days of frustration and being overcharged and spied on, we tried to check out early. But they told us we wouldn't get a refund.

And we also wanted to visit the beach, they came up with every Reason under sun as to not let us go. We eventually struck a deal with a cabbie to meet us off premises and drive us around for the day. I am surprised the staff didn't ambush and bring us back and chain us to or rooms.

La Fortuna, Arenal, the cloud forest and the locals are wonderful! I wanted to just live there it was so great! What a lovely country is Costa Rica, however, this staff is nothing like Costa Rica.

I have very low standards for hotel rooms. I camp, backpack, hostel, and have occasionally slept on a sidewalk and even grew up in fairly poor conditions. It didn't matter to me that the furniture didn't match, the room had bugs, there was no AC, or that the food was vegan. I actually found that kind of nice and part of the local flavor. What mattered to me was the way we were treated as guests, if you like being a charged with hidden costs, being a hostage and interrogated while on vacation, his is the place for you. Very shady practices.

• Stayed November 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Hebrew first
Tel Aviv
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

I stayed with my wife and 3 children at Lands in love on August this year.

It was a wow! big wow!

The food, the activities, Alon th tour desk guy that helped us with tours and hotels all over the country, the service, the rooms - triple wow!!!

Will be back, be back as soon as we can to Lands and to Costa Rica in general.

Room Tip: Rooms 21-26 have the best wies, the lafa wrap is the #1 dish
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
NEVE MONOSON, ISRAEL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

We had our two weeks family vacation in Costa Rica. The whole vacation was organized by the team of LANDS IN LOVE. It was a great vacation. Costa Rica is an amazing country and we had many varied and unique activities. Canopy, Tarzan, superman, canyoning into waterfalls, rafting, day & night tours in the jungles, cruise, schnorkeling and many more…
All was excellent and well organized.
We strongly recommend Lands in Love !!!
IRON FAMILY September 12.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

We did not stay at Lands in Love but we did go to the restaurant. I am a vegetarian and had read a lot good things about the restaurant. It did not disappoint.

The grounds leading up to the hotel/restaurant are lovely. It is a long way up the main road. We passed a pretty pond and gardens on the way to the main building. We walked through the hotel lobby to get the restaurant. The restaurant is casual and clean and the prices were comparable to other meals we had on our trip. The menu is what really sets it apart. It is all vegetarian and even the "meat" dishes listed are vegetarian. It is not a vegan restaurant, although there are several vegan options.

My husband and I had the falafel sandwiches. We've had falafel many times and this falafel was one of the best. It was cooked just the right amount and the pita bread was unlike any other that I have had. It was fluffy and had a soft texture and was quite delicious. My son had sushi which I believe they said was a combo plate of Japanese sushi and Israeli sushi. He loved it. At the end of the meal we ordered dessert. My son had an incredibly rich chocolate cake and my husband and I had peanut butter and peanut butter chocolate milkshakes respectively. My daughter had a cheesecake. We each sampled all the desserts and all agreed they were amazing.

A bonus: A friendly and adorable little dog decided to say hello to our family and then fall sleep under our table.

On the way out of the restaurant we noticed that the property had a little hanging bridge over a pond. We decided to walked across and it was a nice way to end our lunch. I would definitely recommend this restaurant to anyone looking for a nice meal, especially if you are a vegetarian although my non-vegetarian family members had no problem finding many dishes they wanted to try. I wish we could have tried more. If you are driving to La Fortuna from the south, this is great stop about 50 minutes away.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Tel Aviv, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

We highly recommend LIL the pefect place in the clouds forest of costa rica.
As you arrive LIL you will feel the bonding to nature, the relax and peace envoirment.
On top off it we enjoyed the special and unusual veggy food made by their cheff with a great love.
We loved the adventure tour, it was fantastic, safe and unique.
Don't miss the Canopy, the Tarzan and the canyoning into the waterfall. The best in Costa Rica.
We would like to thank Rona and Assaf the expert coordinators. They planed the best hotels, activities and car with driver.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
haifa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

I visited Lands In Love with my family about three years ago and since then we remember this piece of paradise all to the good. Not only that that lovely place offers stunning views, the warmth of the staff also creates a lovely experience!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Margaret River, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

tours were great and the purpose of the property is inspiring BUT......BUT......
BUT.....management's hospitality left a lot to be desired & staff were very un-informative
I made a complaint to management because there was a little miscommunication about logistics and scheduling which left us stranded for 4 hours after our tour not able to get back to our hotel, i was absolutely stunned with his reaction by which it ended up being my fault, no fault of his staff or agents.
What should have been a small mishap and forgotten with an apology turned our to ruin our day to Lands in Love.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Lands in Love Hotel & Resort (Tierras Enamoradas)? Share your experiences!