“Loved it!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Lost Iguana Resort & Spa

You added Lost Iguana Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Lost Iguana Resort & Spa
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   1.5 km North of Arenal dam, Arenal Volcano National Park A2004, Costa Rica   |
Saint Augustine, Florida
“Loved it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

We stayed two nights at the Lost Iguana. The room was beautifully done in a rustic style, and quite comfortable. But we were simply blown away by the view. When it was not cloudy or foggy (which it was a bit more than we would have preferred) we had an amazing view of the volcano. I haven't had a room with a view like this Mena House in Cairo.

The resort is a tad remote, so unless you have a car/taxi, or are on an excursion, you'll be dining at the resort restaurant. That was not an issue for us, as we found the food to be quite tasty, especially their soups. The breakfast buffet did vary a little each day as well.

Combined with the pleasant demeanor of the staff, we would definitely return given the opportunity.

Stayed July 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (307)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014 via mobile

Ok let me tell you to expect that you are in a rainforest that is out if the way from everything. So if you are wanting to do excursions or using L.I. as a starting place to do a bunch of things this place is not for you. Most excursion companies will add a trip charge to get you from L.I. There is a $30 minimum taxi ride fee fm L.I. to anywhere. Now let me tell you why you stay here it is out of the way from EVERYWHERE!!!! It gave me and the wife an opportunity to reconnect. It gave us a chance to get some sleep & decompress. The best 1st stop we could have chosen. There is a great swim up bar that is heated (needs to be because of the rain) and a lower pool that is not. Most of the room are very large with balconies overlooking the rainforest. We also had a hot tub on our balcony. We were in room 24 (get this one) which is on the farthest end of the property from the front desk. The sight & sounds were so relaxing sitting in our hot tub each night. The resort supplies umbrellas for everyone. The food at the restaurant is good not great. There is a bridge tour & hiking trails nearby. The prices I thought were a little high but they do take care of you.

• Stayed July 2014
Columbia, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

I chose this resort based on reviews and recommendations from TripAdvisor, and also as a recommendation from a family friend. I was beyond excited for this leg of our trip. I had originally booked La Fortuna as stop #1 on our honeymoon, but was told this resort would be the best on our honeymoon, and to save the best for last. This was far from the truth. I was all smiles walking into the reception area, which is open and beautiful. I am a huge fan of the Polynesian resort in Disney World, and this place reminded me so much of my favorite place on earth.

The first issue was the room we received. I booked a room with an outdoor shower, and was placed in a room without one. Luckily, I asked during check in and they were able to switch us to a different room. I was told that you have to specify that you want an outdoor shower during booking. I can't recall seeing this direction, so it may have been my mistake. Either way, no big deal because we ended up in the room I had expected. Thank you to the man at the front desk for working with us on this change.

The room was beautiful - I was blown away by the size and the view of the volcano. Although I was disappointed that there was no extra service given to us as honeymooners. No towel pet, roses, etc. No, I didn't pay for any kind of romance package, but they could have done something. We were coming from La Mansion Inn in Manuel Antonio, and they provided roses on our first night. I did not pay for this service - it was a simple extra that was given because I had told them it was our honeymoon. I did specify multiple times to The Lost Iguana that this was a honeymoon trip, both in person in the lobby and via email while booking.

Here is what ruined the resort for me - the service is less than mediocre. The breakfast buffet is cold and not maintained. The chafers were empty, and not refilled in a timely manner by any means. The juices were empty, and again, not refilled the entire length of our meal. There are no signs specifying what the food is - some of which is difficult to know if you are new to the area. The only thing the waiters do is offer coffee.. after we finished our cold eggs and French toast. There were 2 waiters, and a maximum of 4 full tables each time I was there for breakfast. There is no excuse for the lack of food and service. On the third day, I had to ask for ketchup three times before the waiter finally apologized and said they were out. I watched other families get up to leave, and the waiters had to chase them out of the building to have the receipt signed. I was honest enough to ask for my bill, which did incur an additional fee for the soda my husband drank. Had I not asked for the bill, we never would have received it. The laughable part is there is an extra line that says "TIPS". For what, I don't know. We served ourselves the food and juice (when it was there), and the waiters did nothing other than offer coffee after we finished our meal.
I was so unimpressed by the service, that we decided to eat elsewhere for every lunch and dinner because I refused to give this resort any more of our hard earned money.

The resort also has multiple walking trails, which were recommended to us by the front desk, and were also advertised in the info book inside of our room. We decided to take the toucan trail, which was so overgrown, the trail itself was nonexistent. My husband had bought a souvenir machete in town, so we were able to trim enough to venture through the 'trail'. You're welcome to the maintenance team who hasn't touched the trail in what looked like months.

Lastly, I know I paid to be in the jungle. I wanted to be in the jungle for the animals and birds - which I barely ever saw. But the lack of upkeep in this resort is incredible to me. While you are paying to be in the rainforest, I still expect paths to be trimmed and tidy. This was not the case. Even so, the grounds and rolling mountains were beautiful. What truly ruined the resort for me was the service. Service can make or break you, and in this case, it prevents me from ever returning. It's a true shame because this wasn't any vacation - this was our honeymoon. I've never been so disappointed by a hotel, and I have to say, I've received better service on a Carnival cruise. Our first stop was at La Mansion, where we were visited by a poisonous Scorpion in our room - and I still gave them an excellent rating for the service we received.

I almost forgot to mention they are running a pay 2 nights, get 1 free promotion. Two of my nights were registered as being booked under expedia (not the case), with the third night booked through the hotel. Do you think we got our third night for free? No, we did not.

Spend the extra money and go to Tabacon. This was the biggest regret of our trip.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Lost-iguana-Resort, Owner at Lost Iguana Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Dear Guest, Unfortunately, this bad review did not come as a surprise. We were all surprised however that you indicated you booked all nights through the hotel and you did not receive our special. That is not correct and gives a bad impression of the hotel. Had you booked directly for the pay for 2 nights get a 3rd night free, you would have paid $550 plus taxes for a suite. You booked through Expedia for a special they were running, then wanted the hotel to give you another night for free. We agreed to honor the daily special you received which you agreed to pay. The total you paid for 3 nights for a suite (normally $275 per night) was $529.50 plus tax. This was less than if you had booked directly through the hotel. After your stay, you again deputed the charge and demanded we reduce it. I'm sorry, but it is not a fair request.
We have not had complaints about the breakfasts and I'm surprised you missed all the wildlife at the hotel. We have tanagers and sometimes toucans feeding at the bird feeders as well as a family of coatimundis who made a nest next to the restaurant. The babies have entertained the guests climbing up and down the tree. The photos of our animals are posted on our FaceBook page. Sincerely, Elaine Knight
Bowling Green
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

My husband and I came here on our honeymoon as part of a two city stay during our duration in Costa Rica. We were blown away when we walked into our room. Our stay here was beyond what we expected and we are already planning an anniversary trip back to stay at the Lost Iguana! We didn't want to leave when it was time to go to our second resort. You will not be disappointed!! We will defiantly be returning here!!!

• Stayed June 2014
jackdees1955
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

My wife and I stayed in a luxury suite with an oversized room. outdoor shower and hot tub. It was the best value we've ever had in a hotel room. We had a marvelous view of the Arenal Volcano. The room was perfect in every way. The grounds were beautiful and the staff were pleasant and helpful. The restaurant left a little to be desired, but we enjoyed engaging with the staff. As long as you don't get too caught up in the need for a perfect restaurant, I highly, highly recommend this place.

Room Tip: Take the luxury suite with the hot tub and outdoor shower. Too cool. Some rooms may have better wi...
Santa Ana, Costa Rica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

Wow, it doesn't get any better than this. This gem is tucked away remotely so you are really away from it all in perfect quiet and tranquility.

The view from the balcony is surreally amazing. The volcano is front stage, surrounded by lush vegetation and much wildlife to entertain you. We were only there one night, but saw Toucans, a Pizote (kinda like a raccoon/ant eater/money creature...very cute) lots of butterflies, hummingbirds and other song birds.

The HUGE jaccuzzi tub was outside to enjoy the views and the stone outdoor shower was heavenly.

We had the unit which was a big larger and I think it was around $200. Well worth it for this bit of paradise. I would definitely stay there again. Perfecto.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

I loved this place! We upgraded to the luxury suite, which had an outdoor Jacuzzi, outdoor shower, and huge room! The outdoor shower was such a fun experience! Our balcony had a gorgeous view of the volcano, and we saw amazing birds, frogs, and insects! The hotel is very secluded, and you feel like you're in your own world! Be prepared for a very relaxing and quiet experience! The spa was very nice, and I got an excellent massage next to a river with the sounds of running water and the jungle. There's a lot of activities to do in the area, and they offer free transportation to the attractions. We went to the hanging bridges, which was great. The pool area with swim up bar is also very fun. I felt like this hotel allowed me to experience Costa Rica in it's natural environment! Stay here if you're looking for a wonderful jungle excursion! Highly recommend!