I recently left my job working 80+ hours a week for 4 years and my goal was to relax as much as possible. I dragged a friend along with me to go to Costa Rica (first time) for several days and stay at the Lost Iguana. It was one of the most relaxing vacations I have had in a long time for many reasons - and I am from San Francisco and travel to Hawaiian islands regularly in search of relaxation.
My state-of-mind - the most important thing for me on this vacation
The resort is very zen-like, spa-esque and extremely well designed to sit in the countours of the jungle. You can tell they used some good architects in getting the details right to create a very peaceful, secluded atmosphere. The room exceeded my expectation and when I first saw it, I knew that I made the right decision for me for my stay in Costa Rica. The view of the Volcano is just stunning. The entire place seems to be designed around the volcano so that no matter where you are, the volcano is there in all of its mystique. The light and cloud cover changes seemingly every moment, so watching the massive landmass at any point is just a special thing to do. I believe every room has a view of the volcano front and center, and it's just amazing to wake up and see it from your bed. After spending a few hours on the property, I definitely chilled out a lot, and I found that we were not thinking more than 5 minutes ahead on anything. No schedule, no worries. In fact, my iphone didn't work in Costa Rica so i didn't have a clock the entire trip (nor did my friend) and it didn't even matter, in fact I loved having no idea what time it was, and sometimes almost forgot what day it was. Awesome.
The location was extremely central for the things I wanted to do. Hanging bridges hike was 3-4 minutes away by golf cart, zip line 20 or so minutes away, volcano hike (10-15 minutes away).
I found that I was happy not renting a car. I think renting a car was going to be too much for me for this trip - I just wanted to relax in one spot and day trip from home base. I've rented cars in ireland so am not afraid of driving abroad. Driving in CR is relatively easy compared to many countries - the roads are really good, like the quality of the US mostly. It's kind of a tossup if you need one, but I just loved not worrying about it and the hotel can get you free shuttles basically anywhere if talk to them in advance.
Again, the whole property is inset in the jungle - the sounds at night are really amazing. I saw a Limer from my room and lots of birds that were just massive.
Alex at the front desk was cool - extremely professional and knew his stuff. Helped us select our excursions within 5-10 minutes when we walked in and didn't think about it again. (Did hanging bridges, zip line, 2 hour trail hike on the grounds, Visited city of Fortuna etc). Jonathan at the pool was such a nice young man. Almost felt like I needed to hug some of the service people on leaving since they were so good to us during our stay.
Lost Iguana didn't charge for breakfast and that was really nice. Saved a few bucks. The menu is very reasonable for lunch and dinner, and had a lot of good things. I liked the enchiladas, and the guacamole + chips was a favorite that I had every day. Also went to the spa and had a massage that made me feel great, and prepared for the journey home the next day. The spa facility is really well done and instead of listening to music as you would in another spa, you listen to the sounds of the jungle. Price was very reasonable, much cheaper than what I was used to. Awesome.
For me, there were other options that I looked into as far as accommodation in the area. In the end it didn't matter to me, and I didn't consider for even one minute if I should have done something else. I had such a wonderful time relaxing with my friend and I didn't need to dwell any further on the choices. Lost Iguana was right for me in what I was looking for.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Lost Iguana Resort is Arenal's newest hotel, offering luxury accommodations in the rain forest The resort's 100 acre property overlooks the world's most active volcano, Arenal Volcano located near La Fortuna, Costa Rica. A premiere, upscale retreat nestled gently in the jungle, the Lost Iguana Resort only offers rooms with large private balconies overlooking the Arenal Volcano and Arenal River Gorge. All rooms are spacious and well appointed with first-class furnishings, artwork and full amenities. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Agoda so you can book your Lost Iguana Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Lost Iguana Hotel La Fortuna De San Carlos
- Lost Iguana Resort And Spa
- Hotel Lost Iguana
- Lost Iguana Resort & Spa Costa Rica/Arenal Volcano National Park