A wonderful, relaxing resort that brings out the best of Costa Rica.
Lost Iguana is located in the heart of the Arenal Volcano region (get a rental car though, nothing is within walking distance). It was convenient for everything we did - we went canoneering, white water rafting (both with Desafino, which I'd recommend), hiked the hanging bridges, braved the zip line, and hiked one of the hotels own trails. Town is a 15 minute drive, but there's not much there.
After our busy days it was incredibly relaxing to return to this resort. It's built into a hillside and fits in with the environment making it feel like an authentic costa rican experience.
Our room had a lovely view of the Volcano although it was often obscured by clouds. There was a large balcony, outdoor hot-tub and the room itself was huge. The room's furniture looked to be hand-crafted of costa rican wood which added to the authentic experience.
There was a great (though small in size) pool with swim up access to the bar. The perfect place for happy hour after a busy day! It was heated -- which is needed since February temps were in the high 70s and it was often cloudy.
Most nights we ate dinner at the bar (for a more casual experience than the restaurant) where Jonathan, the friendly bartender, took great care of us. We only ate the costa rican food and it was outstanding. Amazing nachos, beans and rice, guacamole and quesadillas. There is non-costa rican food available but I'd stick to the food they know.
Breakfast was tasty, and was a good opportunity to watch toucans munch on the fruit left out for them.
This is the perfect spot for a 3-4 night stay (we stayed three nights but could have used one more). I'd recommend it for active people. If you were to stay at the resort all day you may get bored. Additionally, it's built on a hill - walking from the lobby to your room is not for the lazy (but there are golf carts).
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Lost Iguana Resort is Arenal's newest hotel, offering luxury accommodations in the rain forest The resort's 100 acre property overlooks the world's most active volcano, Arenal Volcano located near La Fortuna, Costa Rica. A premiere, upscale retreat nestled gently in the jungle, the Lost Iguana Resort only offers rooms with large private balconies overlooking the Arenal Volcano and Arenal River Gorge. All rooms are spacious and well appointed with first-class furnishings, artwork and full amenities. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Agoda so you can book your Lost Iguana Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Lost Iguana Hotel La Fortuna De San Carlos
- Lost Iguana Resort And Spa
- Hotel Lost Iguana
- Lost Iguana Resort & Spa Costa Rica/Arenal Volcano National Park