Location: The La Fortuna/Arenal area is a beautiful, lush region of CR and the Lost Iguana is set in the perfect spot. Not as close to the Volcano as other hotels, but this puts you instead further into the rainforest near some great vistas and hiking trails. And don't get me wrong, you're still plenty close to the Volcano; the view from my balcony was AMAZING. Do be prepared to do some walking as it is a hilly, open air, campus-like set up, however they do make golf cart rides available upon request.
Rooms: About 8 spacious and airy rooms per 2-story building, quiet, private--even on the balconies though voices do carry (I was often sitting outside in my undies!). Remote controlled A/C and a ceiling fan. In keeping with the country's eco-friendly attitude, the resort encourages recycling and limited energy use (turn off your lights when you leave!). Spacious bathroom with large walk-in shower, and corner suites have a jacuzzi on the balcony! Outdated bedding but I hear they're phasing in new decor soon. Rooms were clean enough, although the shower head could have used a good vinegar soak. Mini-fridge (and bar) but no microwave. Pass on the in-room coffee maker and instead get delicious "cafe" brewed right at your table in the restaurant.
Food: A filling free daily breakfast buffet notable for fluffy omelets made to order, gallo pinto--a rice and beans staple that I could eat every day--with tasty pico de gallo, and freshly pressed juices. The Blue Hibiscus restaurant is your only option for lunch and dinner unless you want to go off the resort (at least a 15 minute drive to anything close). Food was slightly overpriced and nothing to write home (or Trip Advisor) about.
Amenties: Gym and sauna available on site for unlimited use. Also a medium sized pool with a swim up bar above. Decent happy hour each afternoon (limited menu, 2-for-1 deal). Going in October (rainy season) was beneficial as there were no crowds, but I imagine this area being a little overstuffed during peak vacation times. Free local calls (country-wide) from your in-room phone, spotty free Wifi. They have a computer available for guest use in the reception area, but it doesn't print and they had no fax (which made for some problem-solving when booking excursions). But the staff is great and are more than happy to help you book activities (some even with discounts)
Overall a quite decent place that I would be happy to return to.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Lost Iguana Resort is Arenal's newest hotel, offering luxury accommodations in the rain forest The resort's 100 acre property overlooks the world's most active volcano, Arenal Volcano located near La Fortuna, Costa Rica. A premiere, upscale retreat nestled gently in the jungle, the Lost Iguana Resort only offers rooms with large private balconies overlooking the Arenal Volcano and Arenal River Gorge. All rooms are spacious and well appointed with first-class furnishings, artwork and full amenities. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Booking.com, Agoda, Odigeo and TripOnline SA so you can book your Lost Iguana Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Lost Iguana Hotel La Fortuna De San Carlos
- Lost Iguana Resort And Spa
- Hotel Lost Iguana
- Lost Iguana Resort & Spa Costa Rica/Arenal Volcano National Park