“Bring spare clothes” 4 of 5 stars

Lawrence
6 attraction reviews
“Bring spare clothes”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

This was a lot of fun for a side tour. There were a lot of tight spots to crawl through, some on hands and knees some on your belly and all with water flowing through. We booked a tour through Desafio and our guide was very knowledgable. The drive up from La Fortuna takes about 45 mins and if you get car sick easily sit up front. With the way Costa Ricans drive prepare to get sick, but I promise the cave is worth the long drive.

Visited July 2013

3 attraction reviews
“A MUST EXPERIENCE”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

I changed from zip lining to this tour. I am glad that I did. The experience was unlike anything I would have ever done. Being able to navigate was a challenge, but you continue because of the interest of adventure.

Visited July 2013
New York City, New York
6 attraction reviews
“Worth It!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

This excursion was excellent and worth every penny! We booked the excursion through a local vendor in the town of La Fortuna for $55 per person. This price provided a round trip shuttle that picked us up at the hotel. We chose the 8am pick up time. (they also had a 1pm slot)

The drive there was about an hour from the Tabacon Resort. The excursion is roughly 2 hours so you'll be done around 4 hours. They provide you with Helmets with lights, and rubber boots.

Venado Caves isn't one of those well known excursions, and it took awhile to convince my fiance to go since she's afraid of anything that crawls! However, the tour guide knew a good amount of english and was pretty funny. He made us feel safe and honestly, its not for the faint of heart. This is legit real spelunking! Wish i remembered his name! :(

I'm a pretty big fellow (215 pounds, muscular build) and there were sections of the cave that i thought i wasn't able to fit through but miraculously did. You will touch bat guano (poop), see spiders, crickets, cat fish, and lots of BATS! Just brace yourself, this adventure is definitely worth it. You will get wet at certain parts, but majority of the time, the water is roughly around your calves.

Also, make sure to get the photographer. Fausto is awesome! We bought our own camera but its so dark, you WILL NOT be able to take any nice photos. However, Fausto got you covered. He charges a modest $20 for two people (couple) and the images will be on a CD. (he took some great picture and even took videos)

Hope this review helps! If you have the time, definitely go since its something out of the ordinary and will only take roughly 4 hours.

atlanta
4 attraction reviews
“Pura Cavas!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

Navigating through the Venado Caves was unlike anything I've ever done before!! It was awesome! I went with a group of about 20 people (10 college students from SC, USA) ranging from 6 years old up to 50s and everybody enjoyed it! We had to crawl through small cave openings to get to a natural waterfall while bats were flying all over above. Really a memorable experience-tour guides captures lots of fun pictures of us throughout the cave. Definitely wear a swimsuit underneath any clothes that you don't mind getting messed up and bring a change of clothes for afterwards. Loved it, very cool!!

Charleston, South Carolina, United States
“Exhilarating Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

I visited the venado caves on a college of charleston study abroad trip to costa rica. I had never been inside a cave before and was a little nervous at first. It is definitely unlike anything I had ever done before, but way worth it. A river flows through the cave and bats are flying all around. the guide was very niice and took us into about 8 different rooms in the cave. It is definitely a cool experience crawling around the cave and not knowing where you will be going next. It is a little scary at time because of the tight areas but I would definitely recommend it.