This is an unearthly place. I kept asking myself, "Am I still on Earth because this is like no place I've ever been." Perhaps seeing it in the movies is the closest sensation I can relate. Serenity, enchantment, awed - these are words that come to mind when thinking about this hotel and this place - I was enraptured so to speak - staying with the whole Jurassic Park and Heaven theme. This is the most amazing hotel I have ever seen...and I live in the states in Florida. We went on our honeymoon from December 11 - 19th, a good 8 nights here.
Amazing hotel, perfect room – the bed was sooo comfortable it had memory foam and a pillow top, loved the surround sound, the TV, the look and feel of the room, the bathroom was a great size, every room has a perfect view, if you want a view of the valley pick the Alta Vista room, if you want still a great view of the volcano and for the animals to come right up to your room pick the Vista room, the 18 springs are Perfecto - you'll find the perfect temperature or hop from one to the other, the service is fantastic - everyone is there to help you - I loved Antionetta our server, Jorge our horse-back riding guide, and Allan our tour guide who took to see the night lava tour and the hanging bridges, there are some great meals here and the breakfast is great. Food I loved: the salads, the fruit, the French toast, the gallo pinto (rice and beans), the avocado and bacon sandwich, the one chicken pasta dish they have.
Every place has their slight let downs - even heaven I suppose, the walls are thin so if you have a noisy neighbor or one who leaves their TV on too loud (surround sound doesn't help) then this could break your perfect serenity...however the manager will be there to fix this in a jiffy and give you another more quiet room - I must mention though that it is amazing how quiet it is out here because all you hear is the beautiful water and it blocks all other sounds from a distance...they are working on more rooms here - but you can't hear it. The only other Con I can think of is that there is only a few good menu items despite there being three main restaurants...in other words there was only about 5 meals that I would get over and over again....not counting the great breakfast...now mind you we stayed there for 8 nights and around 8 days...so the meals got a little repetitious, however if you take a tour or go into La Fortuna...you won't be disappointed with food if you like rice and beans, chicken, and empanadas, and fruit.
Activities you shouldn't miss:
Lounging in the hot springs, eating food and drinking cocktails in the swim up bar, getting up early in the morning to view the volcano from your bed and porch, the hanging bridges tour - unforgettable, perhaps take an overnight trip to Monteverde per boat-ride through lake Arenal - this will cut travel time from 2 1/2 hrs by car to 1 1/1 by water - Monteverde is home to some spectacular creatures, go lining at Arenal - the thrill of a lifetime and the views are unbeatable, try and see the lava flow at night - go here during the later on dry season to see this (Feb - May my best guess), I also heard the white water rafting is a lot of fun, and also I would have loved to have gone on a river float rafting ride or tubing. Also, go into town for great food, shopping, and Costa Rican Ambience. The only downside to Costa Rica is the driving is scary with the narrow roads, potholes, and cliffs everywhere....don't let this deter you get a driver... the shuttles are worth getting from the hotel - especially don't want to rent a small car and get stuck in the mud there...I wouldn't want to drive here especially in the rain. They will drive you anywhere and the taxis are easy to get and cheap. Oh, and on another note you will get a workout here (if you're not used to it like me) so if you have severe health problems I wouldn't come to Costa Rica at all...but the hotel is on multiple levels.
Even though this hotel is expensive it is totally worth it if for what you are getting - an unbeatable life experience. I didn't want to leave. Costa Rica and the rain forest are amazing! Thank you so much Springs Resort and Spa...just breath-taking.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A World Class Luxury Resort featuring Spectacular Hot Springs, Picture Perfect Views of the Arenal Volcano from every guest room and Four Restaurants including our famous Ginger Sushi Bar and Las Ventanas fine dining. Enjoy our 28 mineral laden, artesian Hot Springs and our 14,000 square foot Spa and Fitness Center. All of our amenities make The Springs Luxury Resort & Spa a great destination for Costa Rica vacations, weddings, or a honeymoon. Our 27,000 square feet of event, convention and meeting space have also made us the leading Costa Rica conference hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Booking.com, Priceline, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Odigeo, Otel, Hotwire, Despegar.com and Jetsetter so you can book your The Springs Resort and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Springs Resort And Spa At Arenal Hotel La Fortuna De San Carlos
- The Springs Hotel
- The Springs Resort And Spa Costa Rica/Arenal Volcano National Park