“Heaven on Earth” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Springs Resort and Spa

You added The Springs Resort and Spa to your Saves list
The Springs Resort and Spa
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Near Montana de Fuego, Arenal Volcano National Park, Costa Rica   |
Atlanta
“Heaven on Earth”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2009

If you enjoy privacy while having every comfort available to you, this is the place to stay. The luxury of the hotel rooms, plus the amazing location and outgoing staff really made the stay at the resort an unforgettable experience.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (421)
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2009

Just returned from two days at the Springs Resort in Spa near Mount Arenal and it was relaxing. I really don’t think I could give it less than 5 out of 5 on the rating scale.
We had a regular room but the view of Mount Arenal (when it was shrouded in clouds) was amazing. If this is the view from a regular room I can’t imagine what it would be like from an upgraded room. Actually, the entire hotel has amazing views of the volcano from the pool area to the dining areas. I have been told all the beds are king-sized and ours faced the volcano. We also had a large bathroom with a shower and jacuzzi.
Now to those pools. I think we tried all of them, I can’t remember how many there were, but it was relaxing and enjoyable. From the heated spring pools to the casual pool with the swim up bar I have no real complaints. In fact, we did not check out the Perdido pools until the last day because it looked like they were under construction. I have to say it was a pleasant surprise when we checked them out and had all the pools to ourselves for a couple of hours. We also tried the water slide which was pretty fast and uncontrollable.
The only two downsides of this hotel are one; the last 2.2 miles to the resort are on a rough road. After you turn off the main road it is another 2.2 miles on a rough, boulder strewn road to the resort. Now this won’t bother most people because they will arrive by bus, rental, etc. but we did have our own car and it took a little beating. I don’t know if I would make the drive in a sedan because of clearance issues. Also, seeing we had our own car this made us less likely to venture back and forth into Fortuna for meals because it took about 15 minutes to get back to the main road. Now, I don’t know if this is by design by the hotel to keep guests at the hotel for their meals but it did work on us for one night. Secondly, they have a nice bar food menu at one of the restaurants by the pool although unfortunately that restaurant closes at 7:00 PM and you cannot get room service from that restaurant in your room. That means if you don’t want a formal dinner and just want some bar grub you have to eat early or leave the hotel because the ventanas, buffet and sushi bar do not serve these meals.
Overall though, those 2 negatives are minor inconveniences for the hotel. If you plan on staying here I don’t think you will be disappointed.

NH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2009

We recently stayed at The Springs Resort & Spa for 2 nights on our honeymoon to Costa Rica. The pictures and reviews of this place hardly do it justice - just an incredible place. I can't say enough good things!! The staff were amazing, the hotel is 5+ stars, the pools are plentiful, the hot springs are to die for and the food was superb. My husband especially loved the Sushi Bar - said it was top notch! The location is great despite the long bumpy dirt road leading to the hotel. It is so close to all the Arenal attractions that you could ask for. The rooms are spacious, amazing jacuzzi tub, great deck overlooking the volcano and close distance to all the amenities of the hotel yet very private. We enjoyed the honeymoon special they were running and indulged in 1hour massages, mud wrap and facials for only $230. The spa is terrific! The whole stay was slightly pricey but worth every penny - we definitely would go back!

Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2009

we just came back from the Springs Resort in costa rica - its just perfect. the mineral springs are so relaxing - rooms are first class. picture perfect views of volcano. service was excellent, the food delicious and reasonable priced. You feel like youre in paradise - road into resort is a bit rough, you start to doubt whether the pics on internet are accurate but once you arrive your fears are erased. sooo relaxing and peaceful

Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2009

We visited the Springs Resort and Spa during our honeymoon for 3 nights ... and wished we booked it for longer. The resort is amazing with emmaculate views and they have the best hot springs too. Our room was awesome, with 2 bathrooms and a balcony equipped with 2 hammocks. The service was excellent ... they even had a nice DVD collection if you want to watch movies at night. The only bad thing I will say is that the resort is a little hard to get to on this long bumpy road. Most places charge an extra $15-20 to take you there. We definitely hope to return someday ...

Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2009

My new husband and I were married at the Springs on May 9th. With us we brought along our 8 yr old daughter and 5 other guests. The Springs was the best place to have our ceremony. We had been planning our wedding since last June and had to relocate from the Peacelodge after the earthquake hit in January. I was very skeptical because I wanted a waterfall wedding. Cindy the owner allowed us to move everyone over to the Springs though they had not opened it for weddings yet. We did have reservations before the earthquake but they were only for the two of us.
My husband and I stayed in the Villa Guayaba. It was beautiful and we decided to have our wedding there on the back patio in front of the infinity pool. The staff was overly accomodating. There is nothing they cannot do. They decorated the entire area with flowers. Leonardo was our wedding coordinator and he was more concered about the wedding arrangements than I was. They allowed us to dine in the air conditioned restuarant throughout the stay for our parents sake as they are from the north with colder weather and the restaurant has specific hours. The food was excellent especially the french toast on the breakfast buffet.
I loved all of the staff. The hotel is gorgeous but what makes it WONDERFUL is the staff from the front desk to the housekeeping. The sushi was great. Our wedding cake (with strawberries in it) was excellent and we had nothing to do with picking it out. It was far better than 99% of the wedding cakes I have had in the states.
I must say that our parents were very concerned about leaving the country as they do not travel international. They all had the time of their lives. Andre was so fun on the ATV tour, I recommend it to all. Allen was great horseback riding, he took my daughter and I out off the property on Mother's Day and it poured the entire time. We had so much fun and he never insisted on turning back. He was soaked without a rain jacket and was still smiling. We had ours on! Lee the owner was there also and he was so welcoming to us.
I cannot express how fortunate we were to have such a beautiful intimate wedding that had little stress (Only stress was me fitting into my dress). We will always be able to look back and remember what a priceless time we had. We have already booked the Guayaba for the same dates next year. If you are considering having a wedding here don't think twice. You are more than welcome to call the hotel ask for Cindy to contact you and ask her for my number. I told them I would talk to any guest that had questions or concerns about planning their wedding here. The Springs will definitly always have a place in our hearts. I cannot say enough!
We stayed a total of two weeks in Costa Rica. I also recommend the Hotel Grano de Oro in San Jose and the Trapp Family Lodge in Monteverde. For those looking for luxury but in an outdoor warm setting with bugs check out Rancho Pacifico in Uvita. But I only recommend Rancho for 3 nights max (we stayed 5).

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Philadelphia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2009

I titled this review, "too nice", because we did not leave! This is far and away the nicet resort I have ever stayed at. The view of the volcano is awesome and very interesting. It is in a unique location in that you have a view of both the green side, and the active side. Although many people say they did not get to see the top of Arenal, we were in the area for 5 days, and it was clear every day. We sat in hot springs and watched lava and boulders come down the active side.. unbelieveable!! The rooms are just awesome, huge, clean, and comfy. The bathrooms juts off into separate areas for maximum privacy. The front porch has hammocks, tables, and chairs. If you have the money to splurge, you won't be disappointed!