“Wow!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Springs Resort and Spa

You added The Springs Resort and Spa to your Saves list
The Springs Resort and Spa
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Near Montana de Fuego, Arenal Volcano National Park, Costa Rica   |
Herndon, Virginia
“Wow!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2009

This resort is wonderful! We were traveling with little kids and they loved the pools and the Monkey slide at Los Perditos. The grounds are absolutely breath taking and I can only imagine how nice it will be once it is completed. The price is high but I beleive the grounds and rooms were definitely worth it. The staff was so accomodating and pleasant. We felt the restaurant food was just okay and expensive but it was obvious that they were trying. The chicken club sandwich was great for lunch in the patio dining area. We actually left the resort to go eat dinner in La Fortuna to eat something good and a little more reasonably priced. The best meal we had was at La Choza de Laurel in town.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (432)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2009

This was our second trip to Costa Rica (explored different regions) and this Resort was mind-blowing. Absolutely beautiful and so very relaxing. If you want to explore, however, there are excursions offered. The photos you see on the website are very true to the in-person comparison. Very surreal. The views are amazing from every room and the rooms themselves are very spacious and decorated perfectly. There are several hot spring pools, each very unique and each one offers a different pool temperature for everyone's liking. While we unfortunately didn't have enough time during our stay here to experience the Spa itself, friends told us how wonderful it was. The staff at The Springs are also amazing (shout out to Luis - what great service). The food is absolutely delicious (very fresh, great variety and very generous portions). The Springs is not quite complete, but you don't even notice the construction. Although, the road leading up to the Resort was very rough. We had the pleasure of meeting the owner Lee, who is so down to Earth and very socialable with his guests. You don't see that interaction very often, so that was very refreshing. He told us of his plans for the completion, and they too sound amazing. The existing surroundings were so beautiful, that I can't even imagine it being any better than it already is. My husband and I had a wonderful trip and can't wait to go back to see the final result. The Springs is a great honeymoon spot, or perfect as a luxurious relaxing vacation. You definitely want to spend more than 3 days here. Well worth the splurge, so plan ahead for this amazing spot. You'll trully never experience anything like this place and you'll pinch yourself to see if it's real.

One word of advice when booking through other on-line websites...

While Hotelbook.com might be a good source to use for other hotel deals, I would highly recommend that you do not use their website to book your stay here at The Springs Resort and Spa. Hotelbook.com advertises great deals for this resort, but their website reservation goes through a 3rd party agency in the booking process and neither are recognized or honored as a valid booking agent by The Springs Resort and Spa. Frankly, I don't know why Hotelbook.com doesn't remove The Springs Resort and Spa from their website, but they should. Trust me, save yourself the aggravation and months of credit card disputes and either book directly through The Springs, or call them ahead of time to verify which websites are valid and accepatable.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
San Pedro
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2009

This place is amazing. I am a poor teacher from California and wanted to impress my two sons (ages 26 and 28). We were all impressed! I cannot believe that I spent so much money for a family suite.....but it was worth it!!!! What was so impressive is that the owner of the hotel kept the wild animal refuge going and takes great care of these wild cats and monkies, The hotel will arrange a free tour for you. The owner of the hotel appears to be a very passionate man. His staff has only positive things to say about him and it is obvious that they are happy to be there.

• Stayed April 2009
Alajuela
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2009

After almost five years in Costa Rica as a tour guide, and having been a fan of "La Paz Waterfall Gardens" before it was damaged by landslides on the occasion of the January 8th earthquake (which incidentally I recently inspected and was informed by the owner that the target date for La Paz to reopen is June 15th, 2009 - "Hooray!"), I have finally found the "Complejo de Chicklets" destination. Allow me to explain. "Chicklets" is the Costa Rican word for chewing gum (which I like very much). Getting it stuck to the bottom of your shoe in the positive sense keeps you in one place longer than usual, therefore the term: "Complejo de Chicklets" applies regarding "The Springs Resort & Spa - Arenal, Costa Rica"... Each part of the resort is so fantastic that you get attached to it, stay there longer than usual, and forget that there is so much more to experience! That's a good thing! For example, there are many hot springs pools, cascading from one to the other and romantic couples nestled or playfully giggling in various corners of the pools, or behind waterfalls, even a water slide. Some pools have in-the-water chairs in front of pool water level bars serving tropical drinks.

Upon arrival, we were served cool tropical drinks on a platter by a native smiling Tico named "Alan" as we checked in at the front desk, a great start. We were hardly finished with the drink when "Alan" escorted us to a golf cart to take us to retrieve our luggage and a wonderful orientation tour by "Alan" of the Resort & Spa. It was overwhelmingly wonderful. The rooms are tastefully detailed, including jacuzzi in the large bathroom, Satellite TV mounted above the 10 foot wide picture window framing volcano Arenal, an active volcano. DVD movies can be selected and picked up at no charge from the front desk and enjoyed on the high-quality screen in a huge plush comfortable bed. Hammocks and Leather rocking chairs are on the patio surrounded by tropical plants and flowers. The safe is electronic and when I reported a low battery, the helper arrived quickly and replaced the batteries after which I used the safe and had peace of mind, although I have no reason to think that any of the friendly workers are anything but totally honest and trustworthy, qualities hard to find these days. One worker even let me win at a game of "eight-ball" in the billiard room. :)

I highly recommend the restaurant on the third of five levels called: "Tres Cascades" (three waterfalls). We enjoyed appetizers such as Mantego cheese & Japanese beans, grilled salmon salads, and main courses such as chicken curry, not to mention delicious cheesecake for desert.

Those are only some of the many positives of the experience which greatly outweigh any negatives such as a strong lacquer smell from the newly finished exotic woods in the rooms which smell will go away soon; the volcano was enshrouded in clouds and we only saw the bottom half, but we could imagine that a longer stay would be an absolute must in the future; and the power cut off during our evening meal at the "Tres Cascades" restaurant, which was outweighed by the excellent response of the generator turning on, of the staff running to bring six candles to our table as well as handheld light sources and a free ride on the golf cart back to our room, not to mention handing us a flashlight to use in the room itself. The power came back on an hour later, not too bad. I just stayed up a little later watching a DVD movie starring Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Becall, and all I recall is wanting to stay longer than usual in each of the wonderful attractions including the humming birds, the cat's exhibit and the monkey exhibit, I didn't want to leave... a "complejo de chicklets" which is a good thing!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2009

I took my husband to this resort for his 30th birthday. Best decision I've ever made. This resort absolutely made our trip unbelievable. After a long bumpy ride down the road to the resort we arrived at the most amazing resort and views. We've stayed in some amazing hotels but this one beat them all. Check in was a breeze. We were greeted by the manager to ensure everything was going as planned. We were given a tour of the springs and taken to our room. The rooms are amazing. From the view of the volcano, that upgraded bathroom, to the overall aesthetic. Our patio had table and chairs, two rockers, and two hammocks. We even had a cat that seemed to live on our patio. That kind of topped it all off for us. The mini bar was stocked with wine and prices were reasonable. We had lunch and dinner at the resort and everything we ate was excellent. We enjoyed the springs from cold water pools to hot springs. The swim up bar was even a bonus. It felt like we had the place to ourselves in most of the pools even though we know the resort was at capacity. There are so many pools everyone can get their privacy. Even though they are still under construction you simply don't notice.

We had a couples massage in the spa. The spa experience was unbelievable. It is one of the nicest spas I've been to. The atmosphere is very relaxing. No way you can't enjoy a treatment here.

We went on an ATV tour with Andrey on our last day. He was the best. It was just the three of us (myself, my husband, Andrey the tour guide). It was the best way to see Costa Rica.

At the end of our trip we simply didn't want to leave. This resort made our trip the best. It's worth the splurge. Don't hold out and book at this resort.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2009

We visited The Springs in February of this year - we day-tripped here from Alajuela (Xandari). A day pass was $30 US PP and was worth every penny. The vista from the hotel's main pool deck is spectacular - exactly as shown in the photos on The Spring's website. The springs are not exceptionally hot, there are a couple that are relatively hot, but we overheard a few grumbles from other bathers that the water wasn't hot enough.

The hotel itself was a little fancy looking - we couldn't get a casual dinner and had to leave the resort after viewing the menu (entrees were all $30+ - not what we had in mind after five hours of soaking, but would have been fine if we were dressed for the occasion.)

Definitely recommend as a daytrip.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2009

We were told The Springs has been open but 7 months (after six years of construction). It shows: both in its pristine newness, and in how it's still a little rough on the edges. I have to say, however, that despite some minor issues, it's still one of the nicest hotels you'll ever stay at. The setting is spectacular, the rooms are amazing, and the people are as nice and helpful as you can possibly hope for. I'm guessing that, once the guide books and travel sites catch hold of this place, and they work out the kinks, this will be THE destination in the area. So my advice is, do what I and my family did, stay there now!

First, the kinks. The road getting into the hotel -- like many other access roads in the area -- is unpaved, and jarring to say the least. If your car has poor shock absorbers, you're in for about 15 minutes of bumps. The good news is, by the time you finish driving it, you feel like you are in your own personal paradise, far removed from anything even remotely commercial.

The food is good, but not great. One gets the feeling that this is one area they're still working on. The prices are reasonable. The portions are good. But nothing really strikes you as special.

One bank of rooms is still under construction. Don't let this hold you back, however, because it is barely noticeable, regardless of where you stay on the property.

Lastly, because the main hotel (restaurants, bars, spa, etc.) is five stories high, you'll find yourself walking up a whole lot of steps. Another elevator or two would have come in very handy. And the one elevator they do have isn't very well ventilated.

Now the kudos. Our family of four stayed in one of the suites (room 201). Every detail was fantastic. A giant window looks directly out at the volcano, lush in its greenery -- with nothing obstructing the view. The patio is huge, with two hammocks. There is wood grain throughout the room, and every detail is well done. The beds are comfortable. And the kicker for the kids was the loft style second floor, where they had their own space. Hotel rooms don't get much nicer than this. Period.

The grounds are absolutely beautiful. The pools are elegant, but extremely family friendly. Some are heated by the hot springs -- in what would appear to be hybrid manmade/natural fashion. There is a separate bank of hot springs, one of which has a terrific slide carved out of rock. Though the hot springs lack that raw, naturalist feel to them, I found them perfectly lovely. Hot water is hot water! And there are none of the crowds that you'll find at Tabacon -- which was a zoo -- despite the fact that The Springs allows people to come in with day passes to use the facilities (as they do at Tabacon).

The spa services were great. People warm and friendly. Treatments were really nice. Priced at what you would expect them to be for a luxury hotel.

The staff is terrific. At least three times a manager or assistant manager came up to introduce himself, ask how I was enjoying my stay, and ask if there was anything they could do. I found it striking how, unlike the "warmth" you get at hotels in the Caribbean, for example, the people seem very genuine in their friendliness. In fact, I'd say that was true wherever we went in Costa Rica.

Proximity to activities like the hanging bridges and Sky Trek (which is a blast) is good. With that dirt road entrance included, you need to leave about 30-40 minutes to get to most places.

I guess the best testament is this: we stayed at the Four Seasons in Papagayo on the next stop of our trip. While it was different in that it is a beach resort, we easily would rank The Springs on par with it (except for the food), at easily half the price.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family