“Excellent tour with a fantastic guide” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Corte Madera, California
4 attraction reviews
“Excellent tour with a fantastic guide”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2011

We were in Guanacaste at Riu Hotel from August 2-7. We had pre-booked a tour with Eco Explorer for their all in one tour and could not have possibly had a better time.

We were picked up by our guide, Randall, promptly at 7:30 am as promised in a modern, comfortable and air conditioned van. Randall was warm, friendly, knowledgeable, informative...all the things that you would want in a guide. It was only me and my two teenage daughters on the tour, so we got excellent attention. This company specializes in small groups, so I think that this may be a common experience.

Our tour included a horseback ride to a waterfall for swimming; river tubing; a zip-line canopy tour that also had rappelling and a rock climb; mud bath and hot springs...and a very good lunch as well. The tour was at Guachipelín Lodge surrounded by the Rincón de la Vieja Volcano National Park. The company who actually runs the adventures was excellent, safety conscious, fun...it was truly a great day and a great value considering it was nearly 11 hours of activity.

They do require payment in cash, US $, so be prepared. However, they did not require payment until the end of the day...now, that is trust. However, I paid at the beginning just because I did not want to have to worry about carrying all that cash throughout the day.

I talked to several people at our resort who booked other tours and none of them sounded as good as ours...particularly considering the fact that we had our guide to ourselves. Some of the other companies had large groups of 20-30 people.

Visited August 2011

Dallas, Texas
“Best tour of the entire trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2011

I can't say enough good things about Carlos and the tour. My husband booked the tour online before our arrival. On the day of the tour, Carlos arrived promptly at the hotel to pick us up to drive us to the boat for the river tour. The drive alone was worth the price of the tour before we ever even reached the boat. Along the way, he explained all about the Costa Rican culture, the industries, the people and even stopped many times to pull out a telescope to allow us a better chance to view the wildlife. He is very knowledgeable, charming and witty which enhanced the tour even better. When we arrived at the boat, about 3-4 other tour guides were there with there groups. My husband and I overheard 2 of the guides mention that they wanted Carlos to give the river tour since he "was the best." They were right! During the tour, we saw crocs, beautiful birds, iguanas, and lots of monkeys. It was amazing!! After the tour, Carlos took us to lunch at a local spot that had delicious authentic Costa Rican food. All in all, it was a fabulous tour and a great day! You can't go wrong choosing this one!

Visited May 2011
Montreal, Canada
“Excellent birding with Carlos Luis Jimenez”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2011

If you are interested in finding a truly excellent birding guide for the Guanacaste area (and even beyond), then you should contact Carlos Luis Jimenez, who can be reached at http://www.ecoexplorercr.com.

My wife and I were at the Occidental Grand Papagayo in Guanacaste for a week in mid-March. (This all-inclusive hotel was generally ok and, all things considered, of good value.) As far as birding goes, I was fortunate to engage Carlos for a full day of birding (very early morning to very late afternoon). It was a wonderful and productive outing combing low land dry forest (Santa Rosa National Park) and rainforest (north side of Rincón de la Vieja National Park). I had been to other parts of Costa Rica in earlier trips so many of the birds that we saw I had seen before but it was a joy to see again some old favourites such as the long-tailed manakin. There were plenty of new ones to list as well, including Pacific north-west specialties such as thicket tinamou, tody motmot, banded wren, stub-tailed spadebill, and brown-crested flycatcher. Other delights included great curassow, collared forest-falcon, royal flycatcher, northern bentbill, ocellated antbird, spotted antbird, and rufus-winged tanager…and more.

Carlos was a superb guide. I have had day outings with quite a few guides in Costa Rica and as well as in Panama and I can honestly say that he ranks among the very best. He has a remarkable ear (and voice) for bird song and calls and is amazing in his ability to locate birds in the dense foliage. He blends persistence and patience in both finding birds and, the key part, making sure you get a good look at them. Carlos’ English is very strong and he is a pleasant person to spend time with. Finally, his rates are reasonable and more than fair.

My only regret is that I did not have more time to spend with him.

Visited March 2011
London, Canada
“Fantastic...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2010

My husband and I along with another couple have just arrived home from another week in Costa Rica. We stayed in Papagayo and enjoyed a River Boat Tour with Carlos through Eco Explorer. I had emailed Carlos prior to leaving Ontario to set up a day/time that we could share this tour with our fiends along with another couple from the resort. We had toured with him 2009 also. The 6 of us were picked up promptly at 7:30 in the morning and returned around 4:00 p.m., an all day excursion. From the moment we stepped into the van Carlos started our tour. He mentioned things that I, #1 couldn't see and #2 would never had thought of. Carlos is very prompt, knowledgeable and courteous. We seen and learned more with Carlos than we would have with others for sure. Travelling to the river we were educated about the melon process from planting to harvesting as well as the sugar cane and rice fields. Along the river we were able to see many crocs, white faced monkeys, howler monkeys, aguanas as well many different birds. As we had taken with us some school supplies for the local schools Carlos stopped at one of the schools so that we were able to present these school items to the classroom and witness the appreciation first hand. A lunch was prepared for us at a local restaurant and we also were able to see a local potter making the pottery you find being sold on the beaches as well as in the souvenir shops. The trip itself is less expensive than the ones being offered at the resort and I'm sure we seen and learned more from Carlos than any other guide. Thank you Carlos for another wonderful River Boat Tour and to all of you who are thinking about it...contact Carlos through Eco Explorer. He comes highly recommended! You will not be disappointed. We have now toured with him twice and hope to do it again next year.

London, On
“Birding Guanacaste province”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2010

I'm a seasoned birder who has travelled extensively throughout the world and wanted to find a top-notch bird guide to get me some Guanacaste specialties. I found Carlos Jimenez from Eco-Explorers. His birding and communication skills were just what I needed. He found all of my " wish list" birds plus a few more that I didn't expect. He conveniently picked me up and dropped me of at my hotel, the Allegro Papagayo. I would recommend him to all who wish to experience some great birding in a beautiful and unique part of Costa Rica. Great job Carlos !!!!!!!