We stayed at Pacuare Lodge for the first part of our honeymoon (3 days, 2 nights) in mid-January and had an overwhelmingly amazing experience. As mentioned by other reviewers, you are picked up by a nice and clean bus in San Jose and transported a couple of hours to the rafting drop-in point. Our tour guide for the bus ride was Mauricio and he was personable, knowledgeable, and made the trip enjoyable. Our rafting guide was Albaro (aka Boro) and the trip was really fun - since the water is low right now the rapids were not nearly as difficult as I expected, which was nice as we have rafted the Nile River in Africa and I was nervous to have a similarly rough trip. Upon arriving at the lodge we were excited to see that it was just as beautiful, if not more, than the pictures from the website.
We stayed in the Canopy Honeymoon Suite and thought it was fantastic...a very cool room with your own "nest" outlook point in a tree across from the room accessible by a private hanging bridge. Be advised that this room is far removed from the lodge and the other rooms offering complete privacy at the expense of quite a trek up a lot of stairs:) Fine for us but might not be for everyone.
The food was hands-down the best we had during our weeklong tour of Costa Rica. It was super delicious with the perfect sized portions. Great wine selections as well. It is hard to believe that they can provide such awesome gourmet food in the middle of the jungle!
For activities we chose the ziplining and canyoning, which were both fabulous and really fun. The canyoning is more physically challenging and we liked that a lot. We also had a couples massage and that was lovely, too.
Due to the need for catching a flight, we opted on the ground transportation out of Pacuare and it was not for the faint of heart. Our driver (I don’t know his name) kept us safe and on the road, although I don’t know how since it was muddy and he was literally driving us up a mountain. I wished that we could have rafted out as apparently it is a much better experience
To best summarize our time at Pacuare Lodge: 100% AMAZING. The service, food, and overall ambience of the lodge spoiled me. Since that was the first place we stayed I was a bit jaded during the rest of our trip as I found myself comparing every other placed we stayed to Pacuare Lodge and they did not come close to providing a similar experience. It was worth every penny!
A big thanks go to:
• Daisy of Costa Rica Nature Adventures for answering all of my questions and getting everything squared away for a wonderful honeymoon
• Mauricio, our bus tour guide
• Esteban, the bartender and sommelier of sorts
• Andres and Max (aka Sassito), our ziplining guides
• Rafael and Alex, our canyoning guides
• Wilbur, the property manager who reassured us that jaguars will not come and feast on us from the jungle
• And last but not least, Boro, our raft guide, source of entertainment, and overall super awesome guy
- Also Known As:
- Pacuare Hotel
- Pacuare Hotel Turrialba
- Pacuare Lodge Costa Rica/Turrialba
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A visit to the Pacuare Lodge is a journey to a magical place where the beauty and diversity of tropical nature delight the senses, authentic Costa Rican hospitality makes you feel like part of the family and the outdoor adventures range from exhilarating to sublime. The lodges comfortable bungalows and elegant suites are nestled between a pristine wilderness reserve and the Pacuare River Costa Rica`s most spectacular white water route. It is surrounded by tropical rainforest where colorful birds and butterflies flit through exuberant foliage and the songs of toucans and oropendolas complement the soothing sound of flowing water. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Tingo, Venere and Otel so you can book your Pacuare Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.