“A Great Experience!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 9 Turrialba B&B and Inns
North Park, Colorado
“A Great Experience!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

I visited the Pacuare Lodge for two nights at the beginning of December 2012. I have to say that I did not quite know what to expect when I booked this destination as a part of a 10 day trip to Costa Rica. As it turned out, my stay here was the highlight of my trip. Fabulous facility, great food, and a true adventure to get to. The quality and care of the lodge facilities, including my room, were sensational and the food magnificent. How they pull this off in this setting I do not know. Nearly everything at the lodge, including most guests, are transported in and out by way of white water raft! Beyond the beautiful setting and exquisite amenities, what makes the place special in my view are the people you will encounter there, both the staff and interesting travelers from all over the world. The staff is amazing in that many double as your guide and as resort staff. Ours were exceptional in their efforts to give us a quality experience in every aspect. Thanks to George and Ivan in particular who treated us all well and became friends. Thanks also to Jonathon who is one smart cookie. An unexpected pleasure was meeting other travelers and becoming friends quickly as we shared unique experiences. The Pacuare Lodge is one neat place and I recommend it!

Room Tip: I think any room would be fine.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012 via mobile

What more could you ask for? Beautiful scenery, great food and amazing people.

This place was amazing. Rafting in and out was a lot of fun. The food was phenomenal. The guides were incredibly friendly and very good at all of their many jobs (we loved Sausi).

The area surrounding the lodge was very picturesque. It felt like being in paradise.

It was actually kind of nice that the cabins didn't have electricity (we charged our electronics in the main building). Someone would come light candles each night while we were at dinner. We stayed in a river view cabin, which had both an indoor shower and an outdoor one. They were both quite large and made entirely of stone. The cabin seemed very clean and felt quite private. Sleeping by the river every night was incredibly relaxing. That sound put me right to sleep!

I was constantly impressed by the food. Most restaurants can't do that well under normal circumstances, much less in the middle of a rainforest.

We did the Indian Hike, which was very strenuous and seriously muddy (thankfully they gave us boots to wear). At the top of the mountain, we visited an Indian tribe's small village and met the chief. That part was a little awkward and I would have been happy seeing the village from a distance, but it was still fun.

This place was the highlight of our trip.

• Stayed December 2012
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

This was the perfect spot for my wife and me for our 10th anniversary trip. Rafting to the lodge was great (some folks came in by 4X4 but the word was that the trip was long and bumpy). Rafting in, on the other hand, was seemless and fun. Rafting out 4 days later was simply stunning, as well as challenging. (We've whitewatered quite a bit, and the Pacuare is the real deal, and beautiful to boot.)

As for the lodge site and bungalows, outstanding. We rented one of the 4 Linda Vista Suites and that's what we'd go back to. The pool that comes with the suite was a great amenity that we soaked in every night and morning. Food... very well done. People...all very nice. Pina Coladas,...the best we've had. We loved the fact that there was no electricity in the bungalow (more like luxury jungle huts). Each night after dinner and drinks, we'd return to to the suite and the staff would have all the candles lit. The suites are huge, decks are huge, and all is private. We filled our 4 days there, no problem. The zip line was top notch, and the hikes around the area were great as well.

Thinking about bringing kids?? I probably wouldn't do it, unless it was a short trip,...like 2 nights max w/ them. They'd love the rafting...no doubt, but I think they'd get bored once you've done the zip line and the horseback trip. The food is great, but you arn't going to get chicken nuggets or mac and cheese. So unless your kids are epicures - I'd keep the trip short, if you are determined to get here. The last thing you want are kids whining about their Gameboy or lack of a TV.

Enjoy your trip!

Room Tip: Choose the amenities of the Linda Vista Suite. It was a bit of a walk from the main lodge area, but...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

White water rafting to an Eco lodge off the grid, that serves incredible gourmet food, has awesome activities and the nicest staff...what's not to love? This place is a treasure. Be sure to go canyoneering (repelling) while you are there. And then you raft out in class three and four rapids...not for the faint of heart, but an awesome adventure for anyone who is game for the thrill. Special thanks to the wonderful river guides, who double as staff at the lodge. They made us beginner rafters feel safe. We loved Jose Luis, Rainer, Mauricio, etc. this is a must-do experience for adventure lovers.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Jupiter, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

What more can you ask for by going to Costa Rica then sleeping in the rainforest lost in the jungle. We arrived by white water rafting into the lodge. Once we got there we were told that we will be the only ones staying at the resort. I thought it was amazing that on 11-11-12 (our 1 year anniversary) we will have the rainforest to ourselves howevere my husband thought it was a little eerie LOL. There is no electricity so right at 5:30 all goes black. We stayed in the Honeymoon suite which was FANTASTIC! It was so private and so romantic. We had our own pool and look out. We also went to go see the Linda Vista suite because I was back and forth between the two rooms when I was booking. The look of the Linda Vista was a little better but the hike to get there was not. The pool was warmer because it waas in direct sunlight but I wouldnt have changed rooms. I felt ours was more private and you felt like you were up in a tree house. Lots of action with the animals and birds. The only negative thing I have to say is it was a little hard to sleep at night because of the no air thing. It was a little warm. But you are in the jungle and no electricity means no electricity. If I can make one recommendation it would be to do this at the end of your trip to Costa Rica and not the beginning like we did. Due to the moisture of the rainforest your stuff does smell like mildew. The bed kind of smells too.
Jonathon, bartender extraordinaire, was such a JOY! Not only does he make the best drinks around (you must try his drink made from nothing but items found in the jungle and sugarcane liqour) but he is extremely knowledgeable about the animals and plants in the jungle.
The food was to die for although not really typical costa rican food like we had hoped.
The walk to the waterfall nearby was gorgeous and very private. We didnt do any of the other activites because we really just wanted to relax.
The white water trip was so much fun and the rafting guides were so much fun. We really enjoyed ourselves (and did not flip... bonus!). It was definitely a place we would like to return to one day.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

My husband and I and another couple just returned from two fabulous weeks in Costa Rica. After a lot of research and talking to different tour companies we booked with Green Frog Adventures and Pacuare Lodge. We made a wise decision as our two weeks went flawlessly. We wanted more of a custom vacations as we are kayak paddlers but still wanted to see as much of the country off the rivers as possible. We paddled for 5 days with the Pacuare River being the highlight (the upper and the traditional 2-day run) including a stay at the Pacuare Lodge jungle camp - truly incredible! The lodge is nestled above the river - with a great view - quaint and clean cabins - clean and good facilities - excellent food - etc etc. Would not hesitate to recommend or return!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
San Jose, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

What can I say? Pacuare Lodge exceeded my expectations in ways I couldn't imagine. I knew the service, the accommodations and the meals were outstanding since my clients raved about them, but to actually experience them, was magical. Everyone at the lodge knew our names, they were extremely courteous and helpful, always willing to make you feel comfortable and at home. We stayed at the fabulous Linda Vista Suite, one of the best rooms I have ever stayed. Having our our own plunge pool in this amazing scnerary was just breathtaking. The candle light dinners, the canopy zip line, the rafting trips in and out, the rafting guides, the food, the cocktails, the ambiance, etc, etc, I could go on and on. This place is fantastic, the best remedy to disconnect from the world and enjoy the sounds of nature...a must for anyone looking to experience one of the best lodges in the world and certainly on the very top of lodges in Costa Rica. With almost 20 years of selling Costa Rica as an international travel destination, I have to admit I was blown away about the love, responsibility, details, and hard work the owners have put in this property. As Costa Rican myself, I'm very proud to see hard working Costa Ricans that contribute daily to the enjoyment of their guests. I love the fact that exists a place built by "ticos", that proudly and happily work towards making sure everyone feels at home. Muchas gracias Pacuare Lodge, I will sure return one day.

Room Tip: Any room at the lodge is outstanding. If you are up for the splurge and don't mind walking, stay...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to Pacuare Lodge? Share your experiences!