I discovered Rancho Naturalista through an Internet search for a good place to shoot Costa Rican hummingbirds. Well, Rancho did not disappoint AT ALL! It's a great place to go if you want to see White-necked Jacobins, Green-breasted Mangos, Snowcaps, Black-crested Coquettes, Violet headed Woodnymphs, I may be leaving some out but those were the standouts for me.
It has a nice homey atmosphere with family style meals. Let me tell you, I don't know who is doing the cooking but he/she deserves a raise, a nice one. Every meal was top notch AND they are very accommodating. I don't eat beef or pork so they always prepared something different for me, either perfectly seasoned fish or chicken, wonderful.
They have birder/guides who live there and eat with the guests which was nice, not just because of the great stories they shared but they're there to answer questions too. We worked with Harry, a wonderful young man who has been birding since he was 18 months old so he really knew his stuff and was just a joy to bird with. He took us to a place where were able to see a Sunbittern and who opened his wings, TWICE. That was so awesome to see!!
I feel comfortable recommending this place to anyone who loves birding, great food and very warm and welcoming owners.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The premier birding lodge in Costa Rica, Rancho Naturalista is among the finest in Central America. There are plentiful hummingbirds on the large, open upstairs balcony where you can view the distant smoking volcano. Over 430 species of birds have been recorded in the area. You can hike and bird the trails on your own, and excellent guides are available as well. At Rancho Naturalista the atmosphere is warm and relaxed, and the staff are friendly and welcoming. This comfortable lodge is famous for its excellent food, well prepared, and made with the best fresh local ingredients. (All meals are included.) The weather is almost perfect, not too hot and not too cold. Rancho Naturalista is a wonderful getaway for bird watchers, hikers, and nature lovers! ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Rancho Naturalista Turrialba
- Rancho Naturalista Hotel Turrialba
- Rancho Naturalista Costa Rica/Turrialba