We were privileged to stay at Rancho Naturalista for two weeks in October 2012.
The birdwatching opportunities are brilliant with well maintained feeding stations, an excellent network of forest trails and remarkable natural pools where hummingbirds bathe. It was also easy to arrange birding half or full day trips to different habitats.
The birding experience was further enhanced by our local bird guide, Cali, who is extremely helpful, knowledgeable and enthusiastic. He is also very patient!
Our upstairs room was large, comfortable and stylish with patio doors opening out onto the balcony with its superb views. The owners are very friendly, helpful and accessible; going out of their way to ensure that we were happy and had everything we needed. This welcoming attitude was also true of all the staff who worked at the Lodge who provided excellent personal service. Meals were served family style and home-cooked by the chef, Vinicio. They were professionally presented and tasted delicious.
Rancho Naturalista is a wonderful Lodge and we certainly hope to make a return visit.
- Also Known As:
- Rancho Naturalista Hotel
- Rancho Naturalista Turrialba
- Rancho Naturalista Hotel Turrialba
- Rancho Naturalista Costa Rica/Turrialba
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The premier birding lodge in Costa Rica, Rancho Naturalista is among the finest in Central America. There are plentiful hummingbirds on the large, open upstairs balcony where you can view the distant smoking volcano. Over 430 species of birds have been recorded in the area. You can hike and bird the trails on your own, and excellent guides are available as well. At Rancho Naturalista the atmosphere is warm and relaxed, and the staff are friendly and welcoming. This comfortable lodge is famous for its excellent food, well prepared, and made with the best fresh local ingredients. (All meals are included.) The weather is almost perfect, not too hot and not too cold. Rancho Naturalista is a wonderful getaway for bird watchers, hikers, and nature lovers! ... more less