“We got a good day and the view was fantastic.” 4 of 5 stars

Type: Volcanos, National Parks
Attraction Details
Leeds
11 attraction reviews
“We got a good day and the view was fantastic.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

Took the local bus at 9.15am from Alajuela station to Poas Volcano for $2.50 each - arrived at 10.30.
There are toilets there - very clean and some on main trail to crater.
There is a small shop selling snacks - expensive as you would expect - we took a picnic.
3 walks - one 15 mins to crater - another 30 mins there to lake and 30 mins back - a last 15 mins to car park.
All very easy.
Lake beautiful and crater too
But I understand what people stay - low cloud and a waste of time.
The local bus leaves at 2.30pm to return at same cost - slightly too long and we waited 1 1/2 hours in the in playing cards.
If I did it again I would go on local bus a splurge on a taxi back at about 12.30 - two girls we meet had paid $30 to get back ( between 4 is not too bad)

San Clemente, California
“Awesome!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

The Poas Volcano was worth the drive, twice! The first day we didn't realize they closed at 3:30, so had to go back the next morning. That was actually lucky because mornings are much better for viewing the crater due to mist covering it later in the day. A short 10-15 minute walk to the main crater, with a nice longer trail to the lake.

Western Pa.
15 attraction reviews
“Ignore the weather forecasts”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

Watched the weather forecasts for days. The day I picked had a 30% of rain. It rained the entire bus ride from Alajuela to Poas. When I arrived at the volcano there was nothing to be seen as the clouds/mist had rolled in completely obscuring everything. I decided to walk to the lake hoping that my luck would be better there. By alas, it wasn't. You could barely see the outline of the lake. Then all at once the cloud cover began to lift. In a few moments the lake mysteriously appeared out of the mist. It was beautiful. I snapped several pictures there and figured I would try my luck again at the volcano. As I neared the end of the trail back to the crater the sky appeared to be lightening. Sure enough when I reached the top of the hill, there it was, the volcano in all its glory. The mist had lifted and I had two hours of unimpeded viewing of Poas. It did not disappoint. You could see the water in the crater bubbling, smell the sulphur as it rose to the rim of the lookout and watch as the clouds of vapor slowly drifted away to the hills beyond. The moral if the story, just do it.

Chicago, Illinois
17 attraction reviews
“Poas is hit or miss…visit at your own risk”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

We did a tour of the Poas volcano in July of 2013. Our tour was through Daystar and it was the only less than favorable experience with Daystar. Our guide warned us about the weather this time of year on Poas. After parking, we walked to the crater and could not see anything. The weather is damp, brisk and at this time of year you are in the cloud forest. We took a trek down a path and our guide left to stay warm and dry. The path hike was nice but nothing exceptional. The lunch we had on our return was very good but as a whole, skip the trip as a tour. If you have a car, just drive on your own. There are better things to do with your time. maybe at a different time of year it might be worth it. Buyer beware.

Visited July 2013
perry, mo
“Worth seeing”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

Worth seeing and a very pretty drive to get there. A fairly long walk up hill to get there from the parking lot. If you are handy capped they will give you a ride. There is also a very pretty lake up a very steep walk there also.

Visited February 2013