“It's all in the areodynamics” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Arenal Mundo Aventura

Arenal Mundo Aventura
2 km. South from the Catholic Church in La Fortuna, La Fortuna de San Carlos, Arenal Volcano National Park, Costa Rica
(506) 2479-9762
Website
Improve this listing
Type: Forests, Nature/ Wildlife Areas, Outdoors
Boston, Massachusetts
38 attraction reviews
“It's all in the areodynamics”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2008

At the beginning of the tour, our instructor explained, "But if you do happen to stop halfway on the cable, you will find which of your friends are really your friends. The ones who aren't will immediately whip out their cameras and start taking pictures of you." This drew a laugh, but little did I know that I would be blessed with that experience three times on the zip lining tour. (And in actuality, the walls of mist of the cloud rainforest were too thick to allow for pictures.)

I swear, I followed all the instructions. I really did. But for some reason, I just couldn’t make it all the way on three of the lines. On the first few I was okay, and the experience was exhilarating (though it is somewhat interrupted by having to make sense of the guides’ hand signals about braking). The cool mist rushing past my face as the forest canopy whooshing by (not to mention the forest floor sometimes hundreds of feet below) is quite the mental picture I am unlikely to forget. But as I stepped off the longest zip line they have (I think the longest in Costa Rica), something went amiss and I stopped midstream. I started pulling myself out, hand over hand, until a guide came over and pulled me out. This happened again on the next two. (This time I pulled my self out with my now rock hard arms. Quite the workout!)

Here’s what I think happened: My body twisted to the right after a few seconds in the air with each one. Afraid to brake at all, I didn’t use the brake to realign my body, and my speed suffered the consequence. Of course, the instructor didn’t mention anything about that. So there’s a strike against them. Overall, though, the instruction was good, and I always felt safe in the guides’ hands. They were super professional (most were half decent at English), and when I got to see them zip lining (for them the three hundredth time) they could do cool stunts like hanging upside down.

There are three elements to a zip line: height, speed, and length. Height gives awe, speed exhilaration, and length just makes that happiness last longer. Overall, Mundo’s ten lines do well in these categories. There are a couple were you go really fast, and a couple where you travel a really long ways across the mountain valley in view of La Fortuna Falls. The long ones are really slow (which is why I stopped on them), and the fast ones are rather short. I suppose it is difficult to get both. The rest of the lines were somewhat monotonous, especially in the beginning (but the original thrill makes up for that), but it really doesn’t matter; you’re flying through the canopy for heaven’s sake! I would be interested to see, though, how Disney would make such a course with their infinite ingenuity (and resources, I suppose).

In all, I would be absolutely beaming about the trip had I not had my stopping experiences. With those, though, I do have a suggestion for Mundo: make one line (maybe the long one, as that’s slow enough anyway) one where instead of zipping you just pull yourself along (or are pulled with a pulley contraption) so you can just sit back and enjoy the waterfall and valley hundreds of feet below. The three times that I stopped I wished I could just stay that way and enjoy the view!

One random observation: in English, “Mundo Aventura” is Adventure World, which (at least to me) sounds a little hokey. I wonder if there is the same connotation in Spanish.

We took the option of riding the horses the way back down. We were herded into an “indigenous village” which surprisingly was quite genuine. All the Indians of the area are modernized of course, but they have this plot of land at Mundo to try to preserve their heritage and sell their wares for a good cause. There were bowls, facemasks, and necklaces for sale, and my group indulged. The horseback riding was fun and lasted about as long as the web site suggests (45 minutes). However, unlike how the web site claims there was no guided natural ecosystems walk. All in all, though, I do feel that I got my sixty dollar’s worth. This attraction was certainly one of the highlights of our trip, and I would undoubtedly do it again; the natural setting is unbeatable.

Toronto
8 attraction reviews
“THE BEST!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2008

I LOVED THIS TOUR. I asked around and did some research, and this zip-lining course was recommended to me as the best.

You get picked up and driven to their office location. Here, they have a butterfly conservatory, which also has a lot of frogs. It’s not big, but it’s still nice to see. If that isn’t your thing, don’t let it put you off – we only spent 10 minutes in there. Then we went through some safety & basic instructions for zip-lining.
The course had 10 or 11 zip-lines -- they were high, long, and fast. The longest one is just under a km long, and we were generally about 40 - 60 m above the ground. The view from these heights is truly amazing.
If you’re scared, don’t let it stop you. There were a group of seniors with us, and they were terrified, but they ALL LOVED it. And my bf is scared of heights, but he still had a great time.
It is very safe. The worst that can happen is that you brake too much, and stop before the end. If this happens, one of the guides comes over to you and helps you get to the end.

At the end of the zip-lining, we rode horses back. They were very well trained, and no one had any problems.

I highly recommend this tour, and I would even do it again!

manitou springs, co
3 attraction reviews
“canopy tour review”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2008

My girlfriend and I recently went on the canopy tour offered by Arenal Mundo Aventura. Our hotel easily arranged this tour for us the day before we went.

First, our guides picked us up from our hotel and drove us to the registration office at the park. The park is only a few kilometers outside of the town of La Fortuna. After checking in, they gave us a safety demonstration, which detailed their equipment and signalling procedures. After that, we loaded up into their transport tractor to take us up to the top of the first zip line. The tractor was a little rustic compared to SkyTrek's cable car, but it worked none-the-less. We felt very safe and had an exhilarating thrill ride through the jungle. It was a blast zipping into the clouds and over the La Fortuna waterfall. We did a total of 10 zip lines, which ranged from 200 to 900 meters long.

Afterwards, we were able to visit a recreated Maleku village and had a chance to meet some of the indigenous people. After a short drum ceremony, we took horses back down to the gardens and visited their frog and butterfly areas. After strolling through their beautiful gardens, we caught our transportion back to our hotel.

All and all, it was a great afternoon and one of best memories of our Costa Rica trip. I thoroughly enjoyed the extra things we saw at the park in addition to the canopy tour. I'd recommend this tour to anyone visiting La Fortuna.

Here are some videos of us doing the canopy tour: