“Paradise” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Nayara Hotel, Spa & Gardens

Save Saved
You added Nayara Hotel, Spa & Gardens to your Saves list
Nayara Hotel, Spa & Gardens
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6 KM Oeste de Fortuna | Arenal volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos, Arenal Volcano National Park 33021, Costa Rica (Formerly Arenal Nayara Hotel & Gardens)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Dinner+$100 spa Credit
Los Angeles, California
“Paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

How great is Nayara? So great I had to create a TripAdvisor account so I could leave them a rave review. Never have I received such personal and personable service. It starts the moment you step out of your transportation - with a welcome cocktail and refreshing moist towel - and continues until the moment you depart when they give you bottled water for your journey. In between, there are countless little details they've thought of which I've decided not to list so that you can be surprised too! :)

We spent 3 nights in Room #1, a Nayara Suite. The room is fantastic. There is an outdoor shower you enter through the indoor shower (not on your patio). On the patio, you'll find a hammock, two chairs and the two person jacuzzi tub with privacy curtains. The patio is surrounded by lots of plants so it is already pretty private but our room was the closest one to the pool and there was a walkway on the other side of the foliage so we did use the curtains! ;) We liked the convenience of being located so close to the pool, wine bar, restaurants and lobby but you may prefer a more secluded area of the property or, perhaps, to be close to the spa. We chose not to use the air conditioning and since we had the windows open we were able to hear the music from the pool bar in our room which we did not mind at all but if you prefer more seclusion you can let them know (after you make your reservation they send you an email asking about preferences, etc.). The only real downside was that the restrooms for the pool area are located on the path to this room and the doors slam so we could hear it from inside our room. I let the management know about the issue when I completed their follow up survey so, hopefully, it has already been fixed. The bedding was amazing. I want those sheets (seriously, where can I get them??)! Of course, there are robes and slippers. The mini bar was extensive and really reasonably priced (only $2 for a beer!). We did not try room service.

We had several meals including a breakfast, lunch and dinner at Altamira (the main restaurant). The breakfast buffet has ample choices and even some "to go" items you can grab when heading out on a tour. The service is fantastic. I highly recommend the Carpaccio on the dinner menu! We also ate at Sushi Amor a couple of times for snacks and drinks. It is really a fusion restaurant so even if, like me, you are not a big sushi/fish eater there will be still be plenty of options. I highly recommend the Trio of Chips (potato, yucca & plantain) and the Empanadas! We didn't eat at Nostalgia, the wine bar, (they have tapas style snacks) but we did drink there! They have a full bar and the wine is self serve out of machines that dispense a taste, a small pour or a full glass… it is fun. You use a card that keeps track. When we went back, the bartender remembered who we were and handed us our card. They also sell cigars (yes, including cubans) and have a patio you can smoke on if no one is dining there. At the pool bar, skip the cheeseburger and the "iguana" nacho style french fries even though they sound so tempting. The cocktail menu (available at the pool bar, Sushi Amore and Altimara) is extensive and my mouth is watering thinking about it!

The pool is an oasis! It was so warm and inviting. We loved the large lounge "beds" with the sunshades. There are three jacuzzis nearby and they are kept at different temperatures. A fourth jacuzzi is located at the spa. Unfortunately, we didn't make time for any spa services. The grounds are beautiful overall and worth exploring. While we were there they were finishing up construction on the new sister resort, Nayara Springs. There is a bridge by the spa that will connect the two properties. We spoke to a couple who said they heard some construction noise from their room (near the spa) but I believe construction is now complete.

The concierge booked several things for us. I recommend waiting until you arrive to book tours and activities so you can take the weather into account and decide how much you really want to do in one day. On our second day, we had the hotel arrange for us to go do the Sky Tram/Sky Trek zipline tour at Sky Adventures later that afternoon (at either 2 or 3 pm, I think it was the latest option). Sky Adventures came and picked us up and brought us back afterward. It was easy and it did not cost more than if we had booked it ourselves on Sky Adventures website. YES, you must do this even if it scares you. I'm not into heights and it scared the you know what out of me but I'm so glad I did it and you will be too. When we booked Sky Trek we also had the hotel book us a tour for the following morning. It was the Cerro Chato Hike + La Fortuna Waterfall (with Jacamar Tours). This really is an "extreme" hike for avid hikers and it will kick your butt. My boyfriend is an avid hiker and has run two marathons… I'm a casual hiker at best and I cycle for exercise so it was a challenge for me. You can do this hike without a guide (we saw plenty of people doing it) but you have to go up and down the same side of the volcano. If you take this tour, you depart from Arenal Observatory Lodge and end at La Fortuna Waterfall where the van meets you. Apparently, the hike is much more difficult if you ascend from the other direction. The front desk gave us towels (and insect repellant!) to take with us on the tour and we were able to leave them in the van until we arrived at the waterfall. Later that night we decided to go check out Tabacon Hot Springs and the front desk called us a taxi which arrived in about 10-15 mins.

We booked our transportation to Nayara via Interbus, however, I know that Nayara can arrange your airport transpo although I don't know how the cost compares. Wifi worked where ever I tried it. Safe is large enough for a dSLR camera and more.

So, yeah, it maybe the greatest place on earth and even though there are so many places in Costa Rica I haven't visited I already feel the yearning to return to Nayara. Don't hesitate to book it. You won't regret it.

Muchas Gracias to the entire staff. Pura Vida!

Room Tip: After you book, they will email you to see if you have any special requests/preferences. I requested...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (590)
alberta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

We have just returned from our stay at the Nayara hotel. From the moment we entered the resort we felt like we were among friends. All the staff were incredibly friendly and nothing was too much trouble. The resort is kept very clean, and is very easy to get around. It has been beautifully landscaped with brightly coloured flowers to attract butterflies and hummingbirds. There is also a resident macaw called Carlotta and a wild turkey (can't remember it's name) which hangs out at the pool. The food in all the restaurants is first class and they have a great selection of wines. Try the banana flambe, made right at your table. Delicious! "Hola" to Abel, he's the flambe man! We loved the Nayara suite with it's very comfy four poster bed, the two person outdoor jacuzzi with views of the volcano. It's two person showers, one inside and one outside, are a great feature. Carolina was our maid and kept the room immaculate, we just loved her towel creations. A "shout out" to Keilor (Christiano), Roberto (pura vida!) Juan Luis (made a great mojito), Jonathan (all 3 of them) and everyone else who made our stay so memorable. We didn't try the spa so cannot comment on that. We took a guided tour of the hanging bridges. Amazing! Edgar was our guide and knew about everything, he made the tour. Would we go back? In a heartbeat! This truly is a remarkable place and we will definitely return. Try it, you won't be disappointed. I guarantee it!

Room Tip: Definitely the Nayara suites for romance.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

We traveled here for our honeymoon in June. We purchased the Adventure Package and it was stress-free and so much fun! All transportation was arranged and the tour guides were excellent. It was a good mix of activity with days to relax and enjoy the hotel or experience the town of La Fortuna. The Zip Line was an unforgettable experience. The hotel grounds is absolutely gorgeous-- it was romantic, intimate, clean---everything we wanted and more. We had a room with a great view of the volcano--Room 17. The people were friendly and helpful. I loved every bit of our experience there. Would definitely recommend for couples looking for a romantic getaway.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Carmel, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

Nayara was one of the most incredible places I have had the opportunity to visit. Incredibly friendly staff, amazing food, and a beautiful setting. My birthday fell on one of the days of our stay, and the Nayara made it very memorable -- several of the staff made it a point to wish me a happy birthday, and they even presented me with a beautifully decorated, delicious cake after dinner. We split our stay between Arenal and Guanacaste; after spending 4 days at Nayara, our expectations were set, making our stay at an undisclosed all-inclusive resort in Guanacaste a huge disappointment. I can't wait to go back (hopefully very soon!).

Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

This is an absolutely gorgeous property, with very good service and a convenient location. I would definitely recommend to other couples and would stay there again.

Room: We stayed in one of the Nayara Suites, which is definitely worth the money to upgrade. It had a beautiful outdoor shower and private deck with a hot tub, hammock, and gorgeous view. We really liked the outdoor shower and never used the indoor one. The indoor bathroom had a lot of nice amenities, however, like a towel warmer (great to dry swimsuits and wet clothes), dual vanities, etc.

Property: The grounds were beautiful, with lots of fountains and flowers. We saw parrots, lots of other birds, and a sloth. There is one small pool (although they are building a larger one that should be open soon). The pool is fine for adults who want to lounge or have a drink, but is not for kids. There were two unruly kids (ages 2 and 4) while we were there that ruined the pool for us. They literally spit water at us (and in our drinks) and shrieked at a high pitch. They cleared out the entire pool. While I can't blame the hotel for the behavior of the guests, since the hotel boasts over 90% of their guests are honeymooners or people on their anniversary I am not sure why they allow kids under a certain age. When they open the new pool, at the very least I hope they make the old pool adults only. We escaped the kids by going to the separate hot tub area, but on day 2 of shrieking kids everyone had this idea and that area was full.

Food/Service: For the most part the service was great. Everyone was friendly, spoke very good English, and was definitely trying. We had a few minor hiccups (e.g. making us leave breakfast for a tour, when the tour wasn't there yet). The food in the sushi restaurant was very good. Breakfast in the main restaurant was average (some days better than other).

fort lauderdale
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

The readers of both Travel and Leisure and Condé Nast got it right when they voted Nayara the No. 4 hotel in the world. Nayara managed to live up to our impossibly high expectations. My boyfriend and I stayed in Nayara Suite #32 from October 29th to November 1st. The suite is unlike any other room you are likely to see in your life: authentic, huge, and architecturally stunning. We were very lucky to have experienced completely clear skies (see our photos & videos) allowing for jaw-dropping views of the Arenal Volcano. We have been to some of the top ranked hotels in the world including acclaimed resorts in Thailand and Bali and we can confirm that Nayara is definitely up there! We paid less than $400 per night for our room. Any comparable luxury hotel in Asia would have cost two to three times as much.

What else can I say…the place is like a dream. Recommendations:
1) Visit the spa (we had a couples hot-stone massage)
2) Sample the vintages at the wine bar
3) Take a chance on the “Nayara Roll” at Sushi Amor
4) Ask Randall at the swim-up bar for a Bloody Mary and take it with you to the secluded hot tubs
5) Ladies take a nap with your boyfriend/fiancé/husband on the outdoor hammock while drifting off to the sounds of the rainforest
6) Ask for a tour of the new “Nayara Springs Villa” and start saving for next year!

Activities: Sky Trek (not for those with fear of heights/speeds), white water rafting, horseback riding. Recommend all three.

Meals: We ate at the hotels various restaurants for every meal except one trip to Don Rufino’s in town (get the chicken with yellow squash risotto!!) . Without exception all our meals were great. The wine paired dinner at the wine bar is an experience not to be missed:

Pro’s: All the above

Con’s: The fact that it had to end

Note*: We flew into Liberia, rented a car, and drove to Arenal. While we found the journey (3.5hrs) memorable, the drive is not for everyone.

Room Tip: We stayed in Villa #32, if your not up for a little walk to your room request one closer to the conc...
Boulder, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

Stayed three nights at Nayara while hiking around Arenal. Great hotel with world class staff. Thoroughly enjoyable. Centrally located to volcano, La Fortuna, Hanging Bridges and Lake Arenal. Nayara has two restaurants and wine bar with quality collection.

Room Tip: Rooms 8-15 have unobstructed views of the volcano from the patios.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Nayara Hotel, Spa & Gardens? Share your experiences!