“Wonderful Honeymoon” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Nayara Hotel, Spa & Gardens

Save Saved
You added Nayara Hotel, Spa & Gardens to your Saves list
Nayara Hotel, Spa & Gardens
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   6 KM Oeste de Fortuna | Arenal volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos, Arenal Volcano National Park 33021, Costa Rica (Formerly Arenal Nayara Hotel & Gardens)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Dinner+$100 spa Credit
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Wonderful Honeymoon”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

This was such a beautiful place to spend our honeymoon. The staff and owners exceeded our expectations by far. We booked the honeymoon special and exchanged the tours for adventure tours and the process was very easy. Staff sneaked around like little elves hiding rose petals and setting up romantic things in our room. Johanna was one of our favorites from Altamira and she was also in charge of the romantic dinner set up for us. Nancy from Sushi Amor was another favorite. Angelo, one of the owners?, was around the hotel introducing himself to us and offering to have dinner with us which made us feel very welcome. He even suggested we have "coco loco's" on the house which became my new favorite drink!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

1,968 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (561)
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

What an exceptional hotel!!! We were blown away with the beauty of the resort, the rooms, the service and the food. There was not one thing missing. From the moment that we were greeted to the time that we departed, we felt like every single staff member LOVED having us there. The attention to our every single desire was taken care of. The suites are very large and the furniture is solid wood and pure beauty and the rooms have a beautiful wood wrap around balcony with a private hot tub, a hammock and.. We loved spending time on the balcony watching all of the birds, beautiful flowers blooming from the multitude of trees and watching the iguanas and squirrels. The rooms also have the coolest outdoor showers with two shower heads and have beautiful trees that surround you but you also have very large indoor showers with two entrances and two showerheads and even a heated towel bar. The pool has a fun swim up bar and all throughout the resort there are private spots in beautiful settings, like secluded hammocks, secluded hot tubs and an amazing fish pond. We also had the couple massage at the spa and loved it! All of our meals were delicious and exciting.. Every day the breakfast buffet contained new things to try and there was always an abundance of fresh fruit. We will definitely visit again.. It was the BEST way to start our married life!!!

Room Tip: I can't imagine there is a bad room on the entire property!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013 via mobile

Wow! What a great place. The reservation process was great and the staff was very helpful in answering the questions I had (the live chat was a nice feature). We arranged our transport through the hotel and it was a very smooth process. Throughout our stay, the staff was unfailingly polite, helpful and had a great attitude. Our room was fantastic with wonderful views. We were also vey pleased with the food. We booked our excursions through the hotel and had great experiences zip lining, rain forest and volcano hikes and the class 3/4 whitewater rafting trips. We have recommended Nayara to several of our friends already.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Spokane, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at Nayara and from the warm and genuine greeting with wine and cool towel till the day we checked out was exquisite. We met the owner and he said that everyone there was very well taken care which was clearly evident in the level of service we were given. The food was fantastic, spa worked some wonderous magic on me and the room......words fail me in my description if it. Magnificent comes to mind, paradise, heaven. I highly recommend that if you are traveling to the area and looking for a place to relax and indulge yourself, stay here. I know I will again. Thank you to all the staff in front and behind the lines that made our stay what it was. Congrats on your success and we will be back.

• Stayed October 2013
Simi Valley, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

My new husband and I stayed at Nayara for the first half of our honeymoon in August and we had the best time ever! The grounds and staff exceeded all our expectations. The pool side bartender was an artist with the drinks and was always fun to talk to. And the food was some of the best we had during our trip in Costa Rica. I really miss their consistently delicious breakfast buffets! The rooms are fantastic with the extravagant patio overlooking Arenal with our own private hot tub and the outdoor shower amongst gorgeous and vibrant foliage made us feel so spoiled! Our only regret was staying here for the first half rather than the last half of our honeymoon since it set such high expectations that the last half was a bit of a disappointment!

Room Tip: We stayed in a room which was a bit of a hike up hilly grounds. Some people may not be fond of this...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

The first thing that called my attention was the punctuality of everything. I was picked up at the airport as soon as I came out of customs by a gentleman carrying my name on a board. The drive was as planned. When i arrived at the hotel I was greeted by Felipe at the door who was very friendly and helpful. I was given a cold towel and a juice cocktail. From that moment I was impressed by everyone's friendliness, they seemed to be doing a job that they enjoy and were very happy doing it. You would think the staff owned the hotel:they were so proud and happy to be taking care of you.

The food was delicious. They have an outdoor grill with delicious meats and a buffet of salads and dessert. The buffet breakfast was spectacular, it had all kinds of fruits, I tried the granadilla for the first time and loved it. The buffet was splendid and included with the room. I loved all the restaurants, especially the terrace of the sushi. I should mention that everyone speaks perfect
What stroke me the most was the resort's integration with nature; the beautiful design, the bright colors, the way everything came together in perfect harmony.
I found a bridge that was closed and i asked a staff person what was going on on the other side They told me that they were building anew hotel and very courteously offered to show it to me. I went with Esteban and he showed me the new rooms with pools, the new restaurant Blythe pool,the spa, etc.everything was so perfect that I felt that the buildings had been created by nature. Everything was done with utmost care not to disturb the natural setting but rather integrate modern comforts with mother nature.

As i was leaving Carlota the parrot was calling me "hola,hola" I was in heaven!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Omaha, Nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

I don't even know where to begin. The Arenal Nayara was magnificent in every way. From the greeting, to seeing us off at the end of our stay (with a bag full of bottled water for everyone), the staff was wonderful and accommodating. We neither worried nor wanted for anything during our stay. The food was delicious (great breakfast buffet!), plentiful, and the restaurant service was top notch. Nayara staff really know what they're doing!

I have stayed at several places with a similar service/amenity billing, and Nayara far exceeds them all. (This is typically the place in reviews where people start dropping names of resorts/hotels they've stayed in other cities, commenting on how much nicer they were, but I haven't quite reached that level of pretentiousness, yet. Suffice it to say that I've been some really nice places, and this was the best.) It is exactly what they advertise and more. Our first morning, we discussed our excursion options with the front desk, and by mid-afternoon we had a printed itinerary for the duration of our stay delivered to our room. Every detail was handled, including them ensuring special arrangements for my husband's 78 year old grandmother that allowed her to participate to some extent in all of our excursions.

There are always little setbacks in every vacation, but I honestly can't remember one at Nayara. I think the only thing that may even come close to a hiccup was when we returned to our room one day to find that a humming bird had gotten inside and couldn't figure out how to get back out. We tried for a while to help him find the door, but finally gave up and called the front desk. A maintenance man came and kept the little guy flying until he was so tuckered out he had to land on the ground. We watched as the gentleman picked up the humming bird more gently than I've seen mothers handle their newborns, take it outside, and place on a flower bush. (The room ceilings are SUPER high so the humming bird wasn't flying low enough to make it through the open doors, hence the necessity of tuckering him out.)

I've seen reviews challenging it's place among the "best hotels", and it is absolutely the 4th best in the world (as Travel & Leisure put it). I collect elephant figurines from each country I visit, and hadn't yet found one in CR. This fact was mentioned to Maricela (I'm sure I'm spelling her name wrong), and the next day I had a FAMILY of towel elephants on my bed with a little note from the cleaning lady. Come on...you don't get that kind of special touch anywhere but one of the top hotels in the world. She also kept folding my clothes, bless her heart (I mean that seriously...not in the "Southern" way). Additionally, one of the days we were there was my husband's late grandfather's birthday. Grandpa passed away the end of November 2012, and so approaching the holidays has been a difficult time for everyone, as it is a very small family and everyone was very close. It has been particularly hard for grandma, and we wanted to do something to recognize grandpa's birthday. My husband and I approached the front desk about ordering some kind of cake or doing something special. They made the best chocolate cake, and wrote on it per our request, kept it all a surprise from grandma. The waiter even went to the trouble of asking if we wanted to see a menu for dessert, giving me a covert tap on the shoulder letting me know everything was all set, to keep up the pretense that everything was business as usual. As I said, the cake was excellent, it was a wonderful moment for grandma, and they sent the cake with us to our rooms with plates, etc. for later. And, there was no charge for the cake.

We did the Sky Tram/Trek - two zipped, three did the tram only, and everyone was thrilled. The views were spectacular, and the guides were incredibly personable and knowledgeable about not only zipping, but all the critters/rain forest we saw on the way up on the Tram. We also went with Jacamar Naturalist Tours on a walk around the base of the Arenal Volcano and a safari float down the Penas Blancas river. Do both!! On the way to Arenal, our guides saw a howler monkey and a sloth in a couple trees off the road, and pulled over to let us all go take a look. Our guides with Jacamar were wonderful, and provided us with so much more than the typical, "There's a monkey over there" sort of experience. They worked very hard to find even the smallest of critters for us to observe, and ensured that we learned all we could about them. Although this was a "fun" vacation, I have never learned so much in my life - including on my trip to Egypt! Our guide on the safari float was so excited to see all the animals we saw, and his enthusiasm made our trip all that much more enjoyable. We also went to the Eco Thermales hot springs, and it was great - reportedly less crowded than Tabacon, and, of course, just as warm!

The Nayara spa also provided a nice respite from our activities - everything from the massages to the body wraps, and even the chocolate covered strawberries they offered us, were wonderful...and this is coming from a person who doesn't like to be touched by strangers! The amenities in the rooms were great, too - my husband and I had a Suite, and it was exactly like the photos. Jacuzzi tub, chairs/table, & hammock, on the deck, comfortable king bed, tv/DVD player, small table & chairs, and a beautiful bathroom. Two separate sink areas, indoor two-headed shower, plus an outdoor two headed shower. I think we only showered inside once or twice during our whole stay.

The only thing I feel the need to warn people about is the drive from Alajuela (SJO). It is about 2.5-3 hours, and the roads, while providing wonderful views, are VERY curvy and bumpy. I haven't gotten car sick since I was about 12, and I had a hard time with the drive. I think that may have been largely attributable to our driver as he was quite jerky and not exactly gentle with the gas/brake, because on the way back, I had zero problem (and sat in the front). So...bear that in mind. It is possible to fly on Sansa Air (and probably others) from SJO to Fortuna, which we just might do next time if we don't rent our own car.

Bottom line is this - we all loved it there, and can't wait to go back. They warned us about the construction and suggested that we arrange spa treatments after 4pm to avoid any disturbance, but that is almost finished, as the new Villas open in December. We also toured them, and they are quite similar to the Suites, but larger and with a nice, albeit small, deep pool right on the deck of each one. (This area of the property will also add a restaurant and another spa, I believe.) If you are going to be in the Arenal area (closer to the activities the Guanacaste resorts shuttle you to), check out the Nayara...you will not regret it!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Been to Nayara Hotel, Spa & Gardens? Share your experiences!