“What's not to like?” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Nayara Hotel, Spa & Gardens

Save Saved
You added Nayara Hotel, Spa & Gardens to your Saves list
Nayara Hotel, Spa & Gardens
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   6 KM Oeste de Fortuna | Arenal volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos, Arenal Volcano National Park 33021, Costa Rica (Formerly Arenal Nayara Hotel & Gardens)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Rate
3 course Dinner+Breakfast
Dallas, Texas
“What's not to like?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

Our family of four (kids 15 & 19) stayed here for three nights at the beginning of our CR vacation. I was so impressed by the staff and the property. We couldn't walk into the lobby without someone greeting us and asking how our day was going or if there was anything they could do to help us. They were more than happy to arrange or make changes to any of our excursions. The grounds are stunning. The palapa style restaurant had a wonderful buffet breakfast each morning; the lunches and dinners were quite good. One night we ate at the sushi restaurant which was very tasty. A couple of evenings we stopped in at the wine bar to sample some wines. The kids found a chess board and played while we relaxed and chatted with the delightful bartender. Our room was gorgeous and immaculate, complete with outside shower, and a jacuzzi tub and hammocks on the back deck. I loved opening the curtains in the morning to a glorious view of the volcano. Wifi was available throughout the hotel and they offered free calls to the states in the hotel lobby. I've traveled extensively and I honestly think this is one of the nicest hotels I've stayed in.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

1,841 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (519)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

This boutique hotel is amazing. We loved every moment. Everyone who works there is really lucky. Everyone who gets to stay there is even luckier. It's a gorgeous environment and the energy of the place is vibrant and alive. We felt like royalty. Everyone treated us like family. Our room was #40 and with a view of the volcano every morning, who wants to leave? Our outdoor rock shower for two and indoor rain shower for two was a real treat. The room was a nice size & with the ceiling height and outdoor balcony with a direct unobstructed view of the Arenal Volcano (active with steam, no lava flow), it made the room feel even larger. We loved the air conditioning, but also just loved opening the doors with the screen door to listen to the birds. We enjoyed spotting the bright orange bellied birds with our binoculars, while sitting on the balcony in the morning as we enjoyed a cup of bold black Costa Rican coffee. We even saw a sloth (perizosa) from our balcony. After our massage at the spa, the outdoor Jacuzzi tub for two on the balcony was so relaxing. One evening we watched mother nature put on quite a show with a downpour of rain, thunder and lightning; it was thrilling and exciting. Each night we dined in one of the three restaurants. We had the Mediterranean tasting menu at the wine bar & it was great! We are foodies and loved all of it! Each item was paired with a nice glass of wine. Josue took excellent care of us and even hand wrote all of the wines we tasted with the corresponding menu item. There are three Chilean wines I'll be looking for at my Total Wine store. Breakfast every morning was a delicious bouquet of international foods. We especially enjoyed the local Tico dishes like Arracache and Plantain hash. Going to breakfast was like going to see friends. So many smiling faces. The hotel spa was indoor/outdoor with a covered roof. Our massage therapists Giselle & Yadira were great. We were so relaxed. Goodbye stress. The hotel is adding on another area so there was some construction going on in June 2013. We hope to come back someday. The new part should be finished by the end of 2013. We worked with Jairo and the Altamira Sous Chef to show them how to make Lebanese Tabouli salad. It's very healthy and a great compliment to hummus, which they currently have on their dinner menu. They offer fresh, healthy items. Omnivores, carnivores, vegetarians and vegans alike will be more than satisfied. They even have a sushi bar for pescatarians. Really creative tasty combinations. The hotel mascot, our feathered friend, Carlotta, a red Macaw, was quite something. She climbed onto my arm when I said "venga." I gave her a few nuts as a reward for showing off her language skills and spreading her wings. The grounds of the hotel are great for walking. There's an incline so you will get some exercise. They have golf cart "limo's" available to. The pool is a great place to meet honeymooning couples. We celebrated my birthday at Nayara and there were nice touches in the room and all around the grounds. Juanita made some fantastic towel animals for us each evening. We booked tours through Liz at the hotel and had excellent experiences with Jacamar tours. We had so much fun and saw a vast amount of animals and learned about conservation, ecotourism, sustainability, and more. Thank you to Nayara for making this one of our best adventures ever.
Muchas Gracias a todo! Besos a: Josue, Andrey, Wesley, Liz, Francisco, Jairo, Jonathon, Keiler, Carmen, Johanna, Juan Carlos, Byron, Roberto, Esteban, Elquin, Sharon, Juan Carlos, Giselle, Yadira, Juanita, Lindsey y todos viven la Pura Vida!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

We stayed here for honeymoon in May 2012. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The room was amazing. The bathroom with the outdoor shower was lovely. We loved the view from our bed that we woke up to every day. We made a point of enjoying our balcony, hammock and hot tub. The service was good. We were sad to go. Definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

My husband and I spent four nights at Nayara and loved every minute of it! Here's our breakdown of our stay:

Check-in/Check-out
Check-in was quick and easy. The cold towel and beverage made us feel welcome from the moment we stepped out of our van. Checkout was also a seemless process. There was an erroneous minibar charge on our bill and when we told them we didn't get anything from the minibar, the charge was removed without a question.

Room
Our room was so spacious, and the view was the best view I've had at a hotel! We enjoyed sitting on our back deck in the hammock or lounge chairs. The private hot tub on the deck was the best way to unwind after dinner. The rooms were cleaned punctually every day and turndown service was an added bonus. We had a room with 2 double beds, and my husband and I couldn't understand how you could "share" this room. It's definitely a romantic hideaway. The shower door is clear, so I'm not sure you'd want to share a room with anyone.

The breakfast buffet was delicious. Being able to fill up for breakfast before going on excursions was a great bonus. Also, having the premade sandwiches and granola bars to take with you for the day were nice touches. We didn't eat lunch at the hotel as we were out during the days. Dinner at Altimira was good, not great. However, Azteca night on Sunday night was by far the best dinner we had at the hotel. Sushi Amor's happy hour in the afternoons was a nice treat. The mixed chips were a great appetizer at Sushi Amor. We went into La Fortuna one night for dinner, but by the time you pay $10 each way for a cab, you end up spending the same amount of money as if you just ate at Altimira. The wine bar is a very neat place and very reasonably priced.

Atmosphere/Grounds/Staff
The staff truly wants to make sure you have a realxing, enjoyable stay. I loved that they offered excursions, but they didn't push you into booking excursions through them. The hotel grounds are well-kept and very beautiful. The pool is small but was never crowded. The only thing I would've liked to see was a gameroom.

Overall, we loved our stay at Nayara. We would highly recommend it to anyone going to Costa Rica. It's one of my favorite hotels we've ever stayed in.

Room Tip: All rooms have unobstructed views of the volcano, so you truly can't go wrong!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Nayara Resort in November 2012...and it was simply amazing. The service was perfect, the food, the view, the room...it was worth every penny! When I think of a 5 star hotel, I imagine one like Nayara. This resort was The Best resort I have ever stayed in. I couldn't have asked for a more perfect get away.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Roselle, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

Very nice resort. We had a wonderful time the staff was great. The room was spectacular we stayed in a Nayara Suite. The hot springs are only a few minutes away by cab. Tours in the area were very enjoyable. The Romantic dinner was beyond belief. Spa was wounderful and pool was nice. Would recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

Best. Hotel. Ever.

The service is spectacular. The food is delicious. The views are breathtaking. The room is romantic. The outdoor shower transported us to a different world.

Hands down the best vacation experience of my life - and I've spent 2 years overseas traveling.

I dream about this place, and I'm 1000% certain my wife and I will be returning.

Room Tip: All rooms are good rooms.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Nayara Hotel, Spa & Gardens? Share your experiences!