“Like Being in the Rainforest - Eco Luxury” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Nayara Hotel, Spa & Gardens

Save Saved
You added Nayara Hotel, Spa & Gardens to your Saves list
Nayara Hotel, Spa & Gardens
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6 KM Oeste de Fortuna | Arenal volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos, Arenal Volcano National Park 33021, Costa Rica (Formerly Arenal Nayara Hotel & Gardens)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Dinner+$100 spa Credit
Hillsborough, California
“Like Being in the Rainforest - Eco Luxury”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

We spent the last leg in Arenal Volcano area and good thing since we found this exceptional Hotel and facility. We traveled with small children and we really enjoyed this location as a family. The casitas are large and eco luxurious. The circular shape and tall ceiling plus large bathroom area and inside-outside flow was exceptionally relaxing. It was almost like being in a treehouse in the middle of the rainforest. And the birds and birdwatching just off the back porch was unexpected. It was much better than some of the specific organized tours we took. When it rained and the sun rose, it was like being in a bird forest heaven. Beautiful. Aside from all that, they also had exceptionally nice staff. The staff heard my young daughter came to see sloths and she did a sloth report. They had the house-cleaner make a sloth from the towels each night! Wow. Also, I loved the Spa, the workout facility which was open and airy and all the food choices were tops. The Sushi bar was a luxury that was exceptional. Can't say enough about this place. Also, the cost was not even as much as some other places we stayed that didn't come close to the Nayara experience. Highly recommend.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (589)
Canton, GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

My husband and I spent one week at Nayara. We had a great experience there. Bottom line summary: We would go back there and recommend it if you are traveling to the area.

The Resort: The resort is a small boutique resort. The grounds are exceptionally maintained. It is definitely a bit of an uphill walk to the room but what better way to work off dinner. The neighboring resort is doing construction. We barely noticed except by the spa, and we just scheduled our spa appointment when they were not building. The pool was fabulous, but got really busy on the last day when the resort was full and was actually totally full. Tip: The jacuzzi temps are about the same as the pool so its like your own private pool and not too hot (and its shaded for those like me that burn easily).

The Room: We had asked for a king, but all they had was two queen beds. That was disappointing, but we were offered another room the next day. (And the queen beds were actual queens and of good size so two could sleep comfortable in one.) I would like to be able to reserve specific room set ups, especially when you are booking through their website. Other than that, I thought the room was fabulous, and I spent a ton of time in the hammock on my porch. The chairs on the porch were a little hard to sit in, but we could make them better by putting pillows on them. Loved the outdoor shower, but we kept running out of hot water. Guess that's not Eco friendly of us. My husband wished for more natural light, but I liked the privacy and how you felt like you were in your own special world.

The Service: Service was AWESOME. Everything from the housekeeping staff that left phenomenal towel animals to the bartenders and servers to the front desk staff everyone was great.

The Food: We ate at both the main restaurant and the sushi restaurant. Food was all good quality and very yummy. You have to try the guacamole at the main restaurant and the ceviches were awesome everywhere. Also the chicken lasagna for breakfast was really good. It was difficult to eat at the sushi restaurant outside as the tables were too low, but we loved the atmosphere. For drinks, they were inconsistent throughout the resort. They were very good, but I would like to know if I ordered a drink in one place, it would be the same elsewhere. You have to have the Nayara Star at the pool and the sushi bar makes a great Cosmo. We also had a lot of fun at the wine bar, and you can buy a bottle of wine to drink at another restaurant at the resort.

The Spa: We had one treatment that came with our package, a chocolate massage. The massage was great. I could take or leave the chocolate part. It was a little minty and I got cold. I would definitely recommend getting a regular massage there.

We had a great time there, and I will definitely go back there again. I wish I could give this resort 4.5 stars, as I think it's just a couple of fixes away from being a five star.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Jairo Q, Manager at Nayara Hotel, Spa & Gardens, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Dear valued guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Nayara.
I want to apologize for the situation you encountered with your bed accommodation.
At the moment, we do not confirm king beds, but we expect to start doing this later this year as we are planning to convert some of our double queen bed rooms into king bed accommodations.
Please know that we have already taken action based on your comment about inconsistent drinks at our eateries and bars. We have addressed the situation with our Food and Beverage team .
We are happy that you had a nice experience with us and want to thank you for the wonderful comments about our staff.
On behalf of the entire Nayara family we hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the future

Jairo Quesada
Director of Services
Mooresville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

I am smiling as i write this review thinking back on our recent trip to Nayara. We stayed during the first three days of our honeymoon and I wish it would have been longer. Nayara exceeds every expectation down to the last detail. The restuarants are amazing! Breakfast is included and served everyday in their open aired restaurant and it so good! Fresh fruit, omelets made to order, variety of typical costa rican dishes, french toast, pancakes- etc. Very good quality! The dinner there is equally amazing- a little bit more pricey. I would estimate about $40 per person a meal for an app, entree, and dessert. But the food in excellent! Drinks are reasonable at the resort- mixed/frozen drinks about $7 and bottles of wine around $30. We had booked the romance package with them which turned out to be a very good value. Service is fantastic- all the people there are so kind and seem to truly enjoy their jobs. We also ate dinner one night at their new Sushi restaurant and it is beautiful and some of the best sushi we have ever had. Everything about this resort is picture perfect. The rooms are huge and so clean! Excellent linens, towels, toiletries, etc. When we were booking this trip, I obsessively read every trip advisor review wanting it to be perfect and I am telling you -THIS IS IT! We also had hot stone massages and they were the best massages we have ever had. I love spas and this was my favorite experience! We spoke with many other couples at the swim up bar (so cool) and they were raving about Nayara too. You will be glad if you book with them and enjoy every minute of your trip.

Room Tip: Room 42 had an amazing view and was recently a suite that they now consider a deluxe. Outdoor double...
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

We arrived at Nayara after a very long day of traveling. We were greeted at the valet parking area by an extremely warm and friendly gentleman named Jose. He escorted us into the amazingly beautiful reception area where an equally friendly Sharon met us. We were given drinks and cool wash clothes for our faces as we sat in the comfortable and relaxing reception area. Our stay only got better as time went on. We booked a suite and were not disappointed. It was huge, absolutely stunningly beautiful and everything we had hoped for. The outdoor shower is dreamy. The vanity areas are spectacular. Our deck overlooked the volcano and had gorgeous views. The area surrounding our deck was planted with a lush array of tropical plants and had constantly present hummingbirds and other amazing birds. The service was impeccable. Every detail in the rooms and all common areas was thought of. I literally could not have been more happy and can not think of a single negative thing to say about Nayara. The staff made our stay wonderful and even went so far as to make and have everyone on staff sign a Congratulations card for our wedding. They are just the nicest group of people. I would stay here again in a heartbeat. I can't attest much to a majority of the food because my husband and I are vegetarians, but I will say, the vegetarian fare was great and they had some interesting looking meat options that many people seemed to be loving. Breakfast buffets were tasty and full of fresh fruit and both healthy and sinful options. The cocktails were great. I didn't think they were expensive ($6-10 each) but some might depending on what you were used to.
Nayara was a beautiful start to our vacation and our marriage. I cannot recommend it enough. If you want relaxation, peacefulness, beauty and great service, stop shopping and book here. You will not be disappointed. Please do not hesitate to ask me any questions! I'd love to provide more feedback or answer specifics.

Room Tip: I had room 30. It had a great view. It was not the farthest from the common areas, but not the clo...
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

The Nayara Hotel exceeds your expectations in the beauty of its private lodges, its lush plantings ad graceiousness of it public facilities - pool, jacuzzi's, dining room and reception hall. Everyone is made to feel welcome and well accommodated. I give it a perfect 5 stars.

Room Tip: The new lodges are larger and even more luxurious than the earlier ones. Bathrooms are huge with 2 s...
Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

We just returned from Costa Rica a couple of weeks ago. This hotel is amazing and the service is beyond anything we have ever experienced. We travel a lot. The rooms have every possible amenity and the facilities have anything that one might want. The tone is clearly set by the owners who circulate to inquire if there is anything and I mean anything that they or their staff can do to make one's stay more pleasurable. My wife used the spa facilities which she felt were excellent. Over all this is the hotel to stay at in the Aranel area of Costa Rica.

Room Tip: There are only two choices. They both have the same facilities. One is larger than the other. Either...
San Juan Capistrano/Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

Simply put: a remarkable hotel. Beautiful rooms---we were in #17 which, I believe, is an "ordinary" casita--- indoor shower, outdoor shower, private balcony with jacuzzi, chaise lounges and hammock, an absurdly spacious interior, plenty of cabinet/storage, and more---and convenient to the pool, restaurants, and lobby of the hotel. The hotel property is not large but it is lushly gorgeous and the grounds are impeccably maintained. Nice small pool....too busy?.....there are Jacuzzi's dotted around the property, or enjoy the one on your balcony. Beautiful and quiet spa facility. Excellent food. Most important, superb service from a bright, young staff that is uniformly friendly, well-trained, and eager to please (congratulations to Manager---Freddy, who we never met). Charo (Sharon), Keilor, Jose, Jorge, and Jairo were great.....but those whose names I can't recall were also excellent. If you're looking for a formal European-style of service, Nayara may be too warm and intimate for you. My wife and I (in our early 50's) have traveled a good deal and have experienced both styles---for us, Nayara was perfect. We can't overstate how much we enjoyed Nayara and, frankly, their prices are too low for the quality of service and product they provide.

Room Tip: As the grounds are not large, no casita/suite is overly distant from amenities (pool, spa, restauran...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Nayara Hotel, Spa & Gardens? Share your experiences!