“Remarkable!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Nayara Hotel, Spa & Gardens

You added Nayara Hotel, Spa & Gardens to your Saves list
Nayara Hotel, Spa & Gardens
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6 KM Oeste de Fortuna | Arenal volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos, Arenal Volcano National Park 33021, Costa Rica (Formerly Arenal Nayara Hotel & Gardens)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
San Juan Capistrano/Chicago
“Remarkable!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

Simply put: a remarkable hotel. Beautiful rooms---we were in #17 which, I believe, is an "ordinary" casita--- indoor shower, outdoor shower, private balcony with jacuzzi, chaise lounges and hammock, an absurdly spacious interior, plenty of cabinet/storage, and more---and convenient to the pool, restaurants, and lobby of the hotel. The hotel property is not large but it is lushly gorgeous and the grounds are impeccably maintained. Nice small pool....too busy?.....there are Jacuzzi's dotted around the property, or enjoy the one on your balcony. Beautiful and quiet spa facility. Excellent food. Most important, superb service from a bright, young staff that is uniformly friendly, well-trained, and eager to please (congratulations to Manager---Freddy, who we never met). Charo (Sharon), Keilor, Jose, Jorge, and Jairo were great.....but those whose names I can't recall were also excellent. If you're looking for a formal European-style of service, Nayara may be too warm and intimate for you. My wife and I (in our early 50's) have traveled a good deal and have experienced both styles---for us, Nayara was perfect. We can't overstate how much we enjoyed Nayara and, frankly, their prices are too low for the quality of service and product they provide.

Room Tip: As the grounds are not large, no casita/suite is overly distant from amenities (pool, spa, restauran...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (616)
texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

My wife and I just returned from a 5 night stay at the beautiful Nayara Hotel in La Fortuna, Costa Rica. We selected this hotel based primarily on its 5-star Tripadvisor reviews and we were not disappointed. Our stay started off with a good laugh, because our king-sized bed had a 'Happy Honeymoon' sign on it, and was strewn with rose petals. Nice touch, but we have been married for 34 years. Maybe this was prophetic, because they made us feel like we were on a second honeymoon. The grounds are absolutely beautiful and the staff is extremely welcoming and friendly. We stayed in a Casita Deluxe, which was very nice. The canopy bed, jacuzzi on the private deck, and outdoor shower added to the romantic feel. The Nayara Suites are quite a bit larger and more secluded, but the Casita Deluxe met all our needs. One word of advice; we were originally assigned to Room #1, which is the closest room to the pool and restaurants. After an exhausting day of travel, we were ready for an early bedtime. The noise from the swim-up bar and the restaurants was disruptive, so we mentioned it the following morning. The front desk staff was very accommodating and moved us to Room #5, which was much quieter. All rooms have a beautiful view of the Arenal volcano from the deck. We ate almost all our meals at the hotel and were very satisfied with the food quality. The free breakfasts were especially good. My only bad meal was a hamburger ordered poolside. The evening meals in the open-air Altamira restaurant were accompanied by a Spanish guitarist, which added to the romantic ambience. We also enjoyed a couple of meals at Sushi Amor.
We indulged in a couples massage & facial the final night of our trip. It was a great way to end a perfect vacation.
I have read in a couple of other reviews that visitors with children got the stink-eye from some of the other guests. Granted, Nayara Hotel welcomes families. But when you see the property, you realize that their target audience is couples, especially honeymooners. If you are looking for a place to take a family vacation, I would suggest another property. Visit Nayara when it's just you and your significant other. We hope to visit again some day.

Room Tip: As mentioned earlier, the lower room numbers are going to be closer to the public areas (pool, resta...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Charleston, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

We took a family trip to Costa Rica in late March 2012. Our group of 10 ranged in age from 8-79 and Nayara Hotel was everyone's favorite place that we stayed. We were there for three nights and the kids loved the pools, the adults loved the accommodations and food. The hammocks and tubs on the porch were truly unique. we all also enjoyed our indoor shower being connected to an outdoor one! Everything was wonderful and the service top notch. A perfect place for families but also for couples!

Room Tip: We were in one of the newer units, farthest from the main entrance. Very private and a great view of...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights in May 2012. It was absolutely stunning. We thought we had picked a really nice hotel and our expectations were greatly exceeded. The casitas were quite large and the jacuzzi and hammock were a plus on the already beautiful terrace and GORGEOUS view. you can spend a whole day just gazing at the view and watching all of the birds fly by. the staff brought bottled water every night and chocolates. the room was very clean, the grounds were great to walk around. the food was great for breakfast as well as in the sushi restaurant. the staff was so friendly and welcoming. i would certainly stay again at this hotel

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Barrington, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

I gave it a 3 due to the smell in our room - if not for the smell, I would have given it a 5. Very pretty hotel and beautiful room with a view of the Arenal volcano room #24. Unfortunately, it had a "septic" smell. We left shortly after arrival for the hot springs and I talked to Johnathon, concierge, re: the smell of septic and urine - he said will look into. Had a wonderful, relaxing time at the Ecotermales springs - like that it wasn't too crowded. I fell asleep with my pj's over my nose the first night. The following morning I called and s/w Lindsey, concierge and asked for bleach that I can clean (I didn't want them just spraying something to cover the smell vs cleaning), she was very nice and said no, will get someone right away. I talked to her again since we were leaving for the river rafting and she asked if I wanted to switch rooms, but said they were booked. I said I like our room, it's just the smell if they can clean, then it's fine. Got back from river rafting (which was a blast) and the smell was better, but still there. I didn't like that she was not aware of our situation and that she didn't follow up with me after arriving back that day. The following morning at breakfast, she did come up to me and inquired - the smell was still there - I spoke with the manager, Jorge - he shared they have spoken to the owners and working on fixing it, but won't happen over night. I didn't like that they are aware of a septic issue and didn't move us when I first mentioned it knowing cleaning the room would not correct the problem since it was coming from the pipes. I told him we love the room, but don't like being in the room due to the smell and feeling it's not clean. He offered 1/2 off one night and a "due over" in the future that expires in 2 years - that was nice, but would have rather had a better discount - I'd like to go back to Costa Rica, but we usually do one big trip every other year and have never been to Europe with the kids - maybe a longer expiration would have helped too. Think one of the rooms higher up elevation, it's not a dramatic slope, will make a difference.
- Breakfasts - they were very nice (my family liked the best out of the four hotels we stayed at) with great views of the volcano and nice service
- Dinner - food was fine and service was good
- Wine Bar - went our last night after eating at Benedictus restaurant - my fish was good, but Drew's Benedictus' steak was incredible! Got dessert at the Wine bar and my husband and I had a wonderful time trying different samples of wine. This was one of the reasons I choose the Nayara and it was very good - great wines and a nice atmosphere.
- Fitness Room - small, but only had one guy in it the first day so had it to myself and got in nice workouts
- Spa - Lilly and Veronica were great - I got the volcanic mud massage and Andy the deep tissue massage - they were very, very good!

Room Tip: Do not stay in lower rooms - we had a septic smell and we stayed for 3 nights.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Jairo Q, Manager at Nayara Hotel, Spa & Gardens, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Dear valued guest,

On behalf of the entire Nayara family I want to apologize for the problem you experienced during your stay. I think that it is very important that you and the other readers know that we are fully committed to being sustainable. We work assiduously to demonstrate that a world class boutique hotel like Nayara can successfully include the highest standards of environmental stewardship and social responsibility. As part of this commitment, we recently revamped our water management system, having installed state-of-the-art bio-digester water plant treatments. During the installation of these systems, and before we sealed everything underground, odors may have escaped to the surface. Besides this incident there have been no issues of odors reported by guests or members of our staff. We have also implemented a very strict preventive maintenance program to ensure that this problem will never happen again.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience.

Jairo Quesada
Director of Services
Atlanta, GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Nayara was a unique and relaxing hotel, set in a beautiful location. The rooms were stylish and the views were amazing. The food was tasty and a decent value. Our driver from the airport, Giovanni, was super nice. We also enjoyed the bartender, Jonathan, who got to know us a little bit and let us hold Carlota the Macaw (two days in a row!) Other than these two employees, I did not observe the kind of outstanding /personalized service others have written about. The staff did not remember our names or stop to ask us about our stay or anything like that. At night, someone would knock on the door and say "turndown service", hand me two bottles of water and leave w/out even coming in. We did not have the manager get to know us, although we missed the manager's reception. I am not complaining because I am low maintenance, but just pointing out the level of service received. Overall, it really was a great place, but I did not find it to be 'world's best' service. I travel to new countries every year, so maybe I just have a different scale. We visited with our 5th grade daughter and there were lots of kids due to it be Easter break in the U.S. The few couples there were giving us/her dirty looks, although the staff (especially Jonathon) was very nice to her. Reading Trip Advisor reviews, there seems to be an ongoing battle between couples/families at this small resort. If you are a couple who cannot stand seeing kids, you may want to book an Adults-Only resort. That is what I do when I travel without my daughter. This resort welcomes families so you can't blame families for visiting. With that said, I think very small kids/babies would be bored here as it's a remote location and we just spent all of our time lounging and reading....oh and watching Carlota. She is an awesome bird! The volcano was really neat to see, too! We will probably go back some day and the price was a good value, too.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Jairo Q, Manager at Nayara Hotel, Spa & Gardens, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Dear valued guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Nayara.
I would like to personally apologize that you were not greeted or addressed by name. Guest recognition is key at Nayara and we have taken actions to reinforce this with the entire team. I wish I had known about it sooner so I could have taken issue with it immediately while you were still at the hotel.
I truly appreciate your candid feedback regarding our turndown service, we have taken action based on your comments and have addressed the situation with our entire house keeping staff.
I hope this did not mar your entire experience and we hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.
I want you and all future guests to know that we welcome families especially during the holidays.

Jairo Quesada
Director of Services
Woodinville, Washington, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Nayara is, simply put, the nicest hotel I've ever visited. Our "room" was really more of a small house, with two great queen beds, beautiful flooring, an amazing deck and a great outdoor shower.

All the food was fantastic - my kids really loved eating at the swim up bar, where they gave us awesome frozen lemonades. The kids also loved the semi-tame macaw that lives in the trees around the pool.

The service was perfect - friendly, but not annoying. Everyone had a smile on their face.

We loved the pool, especially at night, with the candles

Finally, amazingly enough - we saw no bugs at all. Despite the lush vegetation and outdoor showers and sleeping with the doors open, we never had any bug problems...

Overall, a perfect hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to Nayara Hotel, Spa & Gardens? Share your experiences!