“Unique and relaxing” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Nayara Hotel, Spa & Gardens

Save Saved
You added Nayara Hotel, Spa & Gardens to your Saves list
Nayara Hotel, Spa & Gardens
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6 KM Oeste de Fortuna | Arenal volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos, Arenal Volcano National Park 33021, Costa Rica (Formerly Arenal Nayara Hotel & Gardens)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Dinner+$100 spa Credit
Atlanta, GA
“Unique and relaxing”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Nayara was a unique and relaxing hotel, set in a beautiful location. The rooms were stylish and the views were amazing. The food was tasty and a decent value. Our driver from the airport, Giovanni, was super nice. We also enjoyed the bartender, Jonathan, who got to know us a little bit and let us hold Carlota the Macaw (two days in a row!) Other than these two employees, I did not observe the kind of outstanding /personalized service others have written about. The staff did not remember our names or stop to ask us about our stay or anything like that. At night, someone would knock on the door and say "turndown service", hand me two bottles of water and leave w/out even coming in. We did not have the manager get to know us, although we missed the manager's reception. I am not complaining because I am low maintenance, but just pointing out the level of service received. Overall, it really was a great place, but I did not find it to be 'world's best' service. I travel to new countries every year, so maybe I just have a different scale. We visited with our 5th grade daughter and there were lots of kids due to it be Easter break in the U.S. The few couples there were giving us/her dirty looks, although the staff (especially Jonathon) was very nice to her. Reading Trip Advisor reviews, there seems to be an ongoing battle between couples/families at this small resort. If you are a couple who cannot stand seeing kids, you may want to book an Adults-Only resort. That is what I do when I travel without my daughter. This resort welcomes families so you can't blame families for visiting. With that said, I think very small kids/babies would be bored here as it's a remote location and we just spent all of our time lounging and reading....oh and watching Carlota. She is an awesome bird! The volcano was really neat to see, too! We will probably go back some day and the price was a good value, too.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Jairo Q, Manager at Nayara Hotel, Spa & Gardens, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Dear valued guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Nayara.
I would like to personally apologize that you were not greeted or addressed by name. Guest recognition is key at Nayara and we have taken actions to reinforce this with the entire team. I wish I had known about it sooner so I could have taken issue with it immediately while you were still at the hotel.
I truly appreciate your candid feedback regarding our turndown service, we have taken action based on your comments and have addressed the situation with our entire house keeping staff.
I hope this did not mar your entire experience and we hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.
I want you and all future guests to know that we welcome families especially during the holidays.

Jairo Quesada
Director of Services

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (591)
Woodinville, Washington, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Nayara is, simply put, the nicest hotel I've ever visited. Our "room" was really more of a small house, with two great queen beds, beautiful flooring, an amazing deck and a great outdoor shower.

All the food was fantastic - my kids really loved eating at the swim up bar, where they gave us awesome frozen lemonades. The kids also loved the semi-tame macaw that lives in the trees around the pool.

The service was perfect - friendly, but not annoying. Everyone had a smile on their face.

We loved the pool, especially at night, with the candles

Finally, amazingly enough - we saw no bugs at all. Despite the lush vegetation and outdoor showers and sleeping with the doors open, we never had any bug problems...

Overall, a perfect hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Columbus, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

My wife and I just got back from our third stay at Nayara. On the previous trips Nayara was part of at least one other stop in Costa Rica, but this time we decided to spend our entire time here. I do encourage anyone traveling to Costa Rica to explore as much of the country as possible, but If you had to pick just one place to stay this is it. The pictures of the hotel will speak for themselves, but what you can't see in pictures is the quality of the staff and the great vibe here. Every member of the staff you encounter will make you feel like family. This hospitality extends all the way up to the owners, which we had the pleasure of meeting during our last visit. I have always had a negative view of repeat vacations, but I cannot imagine going much more than a year without returning for a fourth time. If you're looking for pura vida, look no further.

Room Tip: If possible get the volcano view over jungle view, but you can't go wrong anywhere.
San Jose, Costa Rica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

Stayed here for a weekend getaway and everything was perfect: service, room, location, food and wine bar.

Had to change rooms after the first night since they were painting it as part of the maintenance works and smell was very strong but staff was very accommodating, friendly and capable of solving.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Jairo Q, Manager at Nayara Hotel, Spa & Gardens, responded to this review, April 21, 2013
Dear Maria Jose C

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Nayara.
I would like to apologize personally about the smell of fresh paint in your first room. I was happy to read that our staff reacted immediately and moved you to another room. I trust this did not mar your entire experience. We hope to have the chance to serve you again in the future.
I would like to share that we finished remodailing/repainting in our rooms in September 2012 wich was the time when this esteemed Costa Rica Hotelier visited Nayara. As we finished this maintenance work last year future guests should not have any concerns about this.

Jairo Quesada
Director of Services
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

We started our honeymoon off at Nayara, and needless to say it was unlike anything either of had experienced before. The entire staff is constantly working to make sure stay everything you would like it to be and more. The view of Arenal from the entire property is picturesque and breathtaking. The food, atmosphere, view, staff, amenities, and pool are all out of this world, and we cannot wait to return to Nayara one day again soon. The entire staff will feel like family by the time you depart. This was a vacation and a resort that we will remember forever. Thank you again to the entire Nayara family! Pura Vida, and we hope to return again!

Arlington, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Nayara Hotel earlier this month (April 2013). This hotel is amazing in every respect--the people, food, grounds, rooms, location, etc. We spent 1 week in Costa Rica--staying for 4 days/nights in Arenal/La Fortuna and then 3 days/nights at the beach in Tamarindo. During our stay in Arenal, we stayed first at Arenal Springs (nearby hotel) and then at Nayara because Nayara had limited availability. Our time staying at Nayara was by far the highlight of our trip. Where to start? The people: everyone from the wait staff to the housekeeper to the manager (who personally welcomed us) and others in the reception area were friendly and accommodating. The food: breakfast was included and delicious (incl. made-to-order huevos rancheros); Elguin in the Nostalgia wine bar was friendly and did a great job with the prix fixe menu (esp. wine pairings); they gave us delicious homemade granola bars when we checked out. The room: luxurious, comfortable, great outdoor shower, and bug-free. The location: fantastic views of volcano, helped us plan great outdoor activities (e.g., zip-lining, white water rafting, etc.). 5 stars - we highly recommend Nayara!

Andover, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

I am telling this to you honestly - this was the BEST hotel we have EVER stayed in. We have traveled a fair amount out of country and we cannot tell you how great our experience was here. I would highly recommend to anybody. The rooms are fantastic! We had double sinks, double indoor and a beautiful outdoor shower with a jacuzzi on the porch. We woke up every morning to beautiful birds singing on our porch. The staff were so warm and welcoming and seemed to anticipate your needs without being too pushy - every moment we were there. They made an effort to know their guests. We ate at the sushi bar and drank many bottles of great wine! The breakfasts were amazing. I cannot say enough about the sweet porridge and ham and cheese mini pastries that you served. I wished I could have taken them home with me!!! Each room is quiet and secluded. If I ever go back to Costa Rica I would stay here without a question. Our only regret was that we had not booked another night here as we moved on to the beaches. But, if we did again we would have had one day to just relax here. An added bonus was that the skies were clear and we looked out onto the volcano!

Room Tip: Do yourself a favor and book here - you will not regret it!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Nayara Hotel, Spa & Gardens? Share your experiences!