“Great” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Nayara Hotel, Spa & Gardens

You added Nayara Hotel, Spa & Gardens to your Saves list
Nayara Hotel, Spa & Gardens
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6 KM Oeste de Fortuna | Arenal volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos, Arenal Volcano National Park 33021, Costa Rica (Formerly Arenal Nayara Hotel & Gardens)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Chapel Hill, NC
“Great”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

This hotel lived up to all the reviews. Despite being intended as more of a romantic getaway than a family location, this was terrific for my family. I asked my kids what they thought to write this review (10 and 6 y/o) and they said 'it was awesome'. They loved the swim-up drinks/food at the pool. Lots of places to hang-out. They said the food was great. Jacuzzis were awesome.
The room was two queens in a single room, but awesomely appointed. Indoor shower and outdoor shower. Outdoor hottub at room. All very private feeling due to the tropical vegetation around the bungalow. Service was amazing.
Breakfast included with room which was no small thing as it was a terrific meal with great choices including lots of tropical fruit, typical American breakfast foods (eg French toast) but also Central American things like plantains, tortillas, etc...
Very strong consistent internet through property (unique for cr hotels). Also has a small workout room.
Overall, I told my wife that this was definitely the best hotel I've ever stayed in. Great for romance, but went really well with kids and family. Friendly, great service, no-pretense. Overall perfect.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (626)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

Where to start-- I woke up each morning to a view of the Arenal Volcano. The rooms are astounding! The bathroom/dressing area is larger than most hotel rooms. Indoor and outdoor showers, double sink area, ample closets and this is just where it begins. The bedroom is beautifully appointed with a wrap around deck with sitting area, hottub, and cafe table and chairs, and hammock. Enjoying the sights and sounds of being in the rain forest from your private casita is a treat. The property features several dining options and is close to zip lining, jungle walks, and organic farms if you can tear yourself away. We only had two nights at Nayara and would have liked more. The service was exceptional!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

We stayed for 4 nights at this beautiful hotel. very nice and friendly staff - at the pool bar, restaurant and lobby area. Comfortable and large casita, good food, wonderful massage at the spa and loved the towel origami! The only small mention is that I wish the pool was bigger, or at least there was another spa for play because the pool is more for people who want to enjoy a cocktail and lounge around.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

This is the place to spend your honeymoon....period! Here's why:
1. You get your own private bungalow which overlooks the jungle. Tall bamboo and thick vegetation make it almost impossible to know that their are other bungalows near by.
2. Your bungalow has a bathtub on the patio. Enjoy the sights and sounds of the rainforest while you soak with your loved one outside.
3. The room is perfect for intimacy and relaxation. You also get a private outdoor shower should you want a more natural and exhilarating rinse down.
4. There are hidden hot tubs all over the resort to enjoy.
5. The spa service is amazing, leaving you relaxed and rejuvenated.
6. It's smack in the middle of awesome activities such as natural spring tours, volcano hiking, zip lining, canopy tours, and shopping in La Fortuna.

Stay here, you won't regret it....i guarantee it!

Room Tip: Request a bungalow overlooking the volcano for the most amazing views
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Overland Park, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Let me just say, I was a bit skeptical of the pictures I saw online. No way could the resort live up to the views that you see. I can now say that the views we had from our Casita Deluxe were even better than any of those on the website. We were fortunate to have a few clear days with picturesque views from the Casita patio, but everything you see here is spot on.

The Spa was incredibly relaxing, the pool is beautiful, but I think it was the staff friendliness that really won me over. By mid-week, all the wait staff in the restaurants were referring to us by name and what we liked. Everyone at the resort, all the way down to the pool service knows the area and the attractions and can give you great tips on things to do and see while in the area. Even Carlota, the resort mascot (red, yellow and blue macaw) was very friendly and always had an eye on what was going on!

The food was a little pricier than what you'd find in town, but was always delicious and convenient. Only for that reason did I ding the value a bit. I've stayed in some very nice places in Costa Rica for less, but I can assure you, this place was well worth the money spent!

Room Tip: The Casita Deluxe was very enjoyable and included some nice amenities such as a spa visit. If avail...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

If you are thinking of staying here DO IT! The Nayara hotel is one of the best hotel experiences my wife and I have had. Upon arrival we were greeted by a very friendly staff, and had some amazing refreshing tropical drink which brought me back to life after a 3 hour car ride which I got car sick (and I never get car sick).
We checked in with ease, and were given a tour of the hotel. We opted to stay in the Casita Deluxe due to our budget. Despite this being the lesser of the room options it still was amazing. The room was very clean, and the balcony was just as awesome, with a hammock and the whirlpool tub. The pictures accurately reflect what you get. Every day the room was cleaned in a timely fashion, and there was always a cool new towel creature to great us on the bed, some of the most creative I have ever seen. The outdoor shower was pretty awesome too. Everything about this place exudes romance and seclusion.

The Staff: Top notch! Every staff member here has a smile on their face and is happy to serve you in whatever capacity they can. The waiters and bartenders only needed to meet us once to know our names for the rest of the week. Jonathan the bartender was extremely pleasant as well as Juan Carlos in the main dining room who took care of us almost everyday. Lindsey from the front desk was also very personable and pleasant. The people who work their seem genuinely happy in their job and love to interact with the guests.

The food: The main dining hall was fantastic. They had a full menu comparable to a nicer restaurant as well as several buffets during our stay. The food was excellent and so was the service. We opted for the Adventure Arenal package in which our food, Breakfast and Dinner was included. What a great value, as you could order any appetizer, main course, and desert off the menu. We also ate a Sushi Amor which was good. We eat sushi almost every week in the states, it doesn't really compare but they give it a good shot. I still recommend eater there at least once though. We did not eat at the wine bar so I have no opinion on that. Lunch you are on your own. We ate at the pool bar almost every day. The food there is just average and could be better. I would recommend a trip into town to the grocery store, and buy lunch meats, yogurt and granola and just keep it in the fridge in your room. You can save money that way.

The Spa:This is probably one of the coolest Spas I have ever been to. It is VERY clean, and is set in such a cool environment. My wife and I got the couples massage, the first a Lomi Lomi and the second a Swedish. Both were amazing, and probably the best massages we ever had. We were relaxed and recharged. The Lomi Lomi was awesome and I highly recommend it.

The Adventure Trips: Again we did the Adventure Arenal package which I highly recommend. We did the Zip line with SkyTrek, white water rafting, volcano hike, and hot springs tour. All very good tours and worth it. I just wish we had more time to do more. Our favorites were the Zip line and the rafting. All the tour guides are awesome, and incredibly knowledgable.

The Grounds and Scenery: We had some of the most amazing weather. We were there from Feb 3-Feb 8. Almost every day we had a perfect crystal clear view of the volcano and the breathtaking scenery that the hotel offers. It seemed so hard to believe that a place this perfect can really exist on earth and it is not heaven. The grounds are superbly manicured and are breathtaking.

I have very few complaints but I do have just a few. My first would be that the hotel advertises internet service in the rooms. We were in a room at the top of the resort in which the internet would not reach our room. Not a big deal at all, we could use our iPads at the pool and everywhere else, it just bothered me that it was advertised and wasn't available to us because of the location of the room. The second would be about children. I understand that this is no fault of the hotel, but people, PLEASE DO NOT BRING YOUR CHILDREN! This is a romantic couples/adult style resort. Our first 3 days were amazing and peaceful and it was only adults. While sitting in the pool one afternoon, a couple families came with about 5 or 6 young children. You could see everyone at the pool looking at each other and all thinking, "Oh dear god please no". The kids were being kids, having fun canon balling and splashing like crazy, but they were splashing us and others at the pool bar and all around. This resort offers nothing for children. This is a resort for adults. PLEASE LEAVE YOUR CHILDREN AT HOME- They can really ruin the experience.

I would stay here again in a heartbeat. I loved this place, scenery, staff, food, room... It was amazing. Top notch and I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a romantic get away. I was refreshed and recharged, but did not want to leave.

Room Tip: If you have the money upgrade to the Nayara Suite.. It is so amazing you will just laugh when you se...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

We were going to stay at this hotel (and were very much looking forward to it!) when we had to abruptly change our plans due to a substandard rental car left that us stranded (beware - do not rent from Economy Rent a Car). Nayara was kind enough to allow us to cancel on very short notice without penalty, so kudos to Nayara staff and management for being decent, understanding people. Hope to make it to your hotel someday!!

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Nayara Hotel, Spa & Gardens? Share your experiences!