“Brush off any bad reviews you see!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Nayara Hotel, Spa & Gardens

Save Saved
You added Nayara Hotel, Spa & Gardens to your Saves list
Nayara Hotel, Spa & Gardens
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6 KM Oeste de Fortuna | Arenal volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos, Arenal Volcano National Park 33021, Costa Rica (Formerly Arenal Nayara Hotel & Gardens)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Dinner+$100 spa Credit
Wisconsin
“Brush off any bad reviews you see!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

My wife and I stayed in a suite from Feb. 9-11, 2013, then went to another hotel on the west coast to get some beach time. As we were leaving my wife and I both said we wish we could instead stay here the rest of the week.

I don't even know where to begin. The service is OUTSTANDING!! We've stayed at many good hotels around the Americas over the past few years, and no one treated us as well as this place. We are not big spenders, didn't do the spa or anything, but were treated like royalty anyway.

Just a couple of the many examples I could give over the 3 days we stayed - because it was an anniversary celebration trip, the first night they gave us a bottle of champagne, and then brought a cake to our room that said Feliz Anniversary, "compliments of the restaurant".

On the last evening we were going to try to finish off what was left of this giant cake, but we had no silverware. I started to head out the door to make a trek to the restaurant to find out if I could get some, and a hotel employee happened to be going by in a golf cart. He stopped and said, "is there anything I can help you with sir?". And I said, "no, I was just going to look for some silverware", and he said, "go back inside, and I'll be back in 5 minutes". He sped off and was back in less than five minutes with 2 full sets of real silverware, (not plastic) and white cloth napkins! I have many more examples from the people at the front desk, to the maids, etc. They were all great! It got to the point where we believed we could ask for an elephant and we would get the standard answer, "yes, of course we would be happy to do that!".

On top of that, the place is gorgeous! La Fortuna is a great little town nearby, and the Volcano was spectacular. They also have a beautiful red McCaw (not sure of the spelling) bird, that we saw on our first day. We were looking up at it in the tree, and talking about how beautiful it was. All of the sudden it looks down at us and says "hola!". Turns out it hangs out around the hotel area, and they've named it Carlotta. We looked for her every time we were out and about on the grounds.

I've seen some mediocre reviews of the restaurant, but I have to say, we're used to eating at nice places, and the food here was excellent. If you try the tortilla soup you will be hooked and want it every day!

All in all, we will come back here every chance we get.

Dan & Sherry Pittenger

Room Tip: Get the suite with the indoor and outdoor showers!!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (596)
Kearney, Nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

We spent the 2nd leg of our trip at Nayara, it was by far the best place we stayed in Costa Rica. The food was excellent, the drinks were reasonable, and the staff was more than accommodating. There is a real feeling that you are getting more than what you paid for at Nayara. The staff would set up tours or transportation for you upon request. The wine bar was exceptional. When we go back to Costa Rica there is no question where we will be staying, Nayara!

• Stayed October 2012
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

We just spent 3 days at the Nayara and it was fantastic. Though this Hotel is a bit pricey compared to others, you get what you pay for in every way. From the moment we arrived until checkout, we were treated first class. The rooms were gorgeous as are the grounds. The facility is immaculate in terms of cleanliness. The staff knew our names the first day (family of 4) and couldn't do enough for us. We ate at both he sushi restaurant and Altamira-food was excellent at both. The menus were diverse so that everyone could find something to enjoy. The guacamole prepared table side for dinner was excellent. Tours were excellent, Housekeeping excellent. Bell service excellent. We will definetely return and I see this as becoming one of those unique places that you always want to return.

Room Tip: from what I could tell, all are excellent. We were in unit 31 and has a great view of the volcano.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Indianapolis
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

This hotel is absolutely GORGEOUS...but the service was not up to par as I would have expected for such a highly rated hotel. Some staff members seemed annoyed by questions...especially a particular waiter who worked in the Altamira Restaurant...wish I remembered his name... Service/friendliness just seems so forced to me...just not what I expected. Though I could understand how those less traveled would think this place is top notch.

If you want absolute beauty...this is the place for you...rooms are gorgeous and prices seem fair...minus the wine list. Also noticed that they DO NOT clean their tables well...at...all. If the sun hits them just right...you can see how disgusting they are...that part was gross and I found myself washing my own table down to get the old cup rings off and crusty food spots.

In terms of getting there from either airport...it is very curvy but absolutely gorgeous...and we learned a ton from our driver when we came up from the Central Pacific coast. Also thought it was funny when the pool "opens" at 10am...that really just means the guys shows up at ten and then asks you to wait until he gets everything set up...which I thought was a joke as my husband and I were ready for a drink at 10am...a little lack luster on a lot of things. Almost like they just bank on the beauty and do not truly care about TOP notch service.

Room Tip: Can not go wrong with any of them...even the "far" ones as the walk is absolutely stunning...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Jorge G, Manager at Nayara Hotel, Spa & Gardens, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Dear valued guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at Nayara.
On behalf of the entire Nayara family we are so sorry that you only stayed with us one night and we did not have the opportunity to create the entire experience we strive to deliver.
Please accept my most sincere apologies for not meeting your expectations in the different areas you mentioned. Please know that we are sharing your comments with the team, stressing their importance.
I truly hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Jorge Gutierrez
Resident Manager
Basel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

This is probably - or for sure - the best place we ever stayed at. Service from the beginning until the very end was just perfect. Every staff member, from reception to SPA to restaurant, was just so friendly - naturally friendly - and trained well. Perfectionism is important at the Arenal Nayara, and you can feel everywhere.The food at the restaurant (main one) was always superb in terms of quality of food, theme and decoration.
Housekeeping was the best we ever had, room super clean. Rooms: WOW - whirlpool at terrasse with vulcano view, big, modern, outside and inside shower, all decorated with love and style, yet not over-decorated.
The prices for food, minibar etc: all very modest and fair.
We cannot recommend this place high enough and should we ever have the chance to return, we gladly will!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

My wife and I were booked to stay for our honeymoon at the springs hotel...we were shocked at all the positive reviews that hotel had because the service was horrible and we felt like we were at Disney Land (honeymooners beware!!). We decided that we couldn't stay at the springs because it would have ruined the end of our honeymoon so we called at 4 P.M the Nayara and that's when our honeymoon started!

The Nayara-
My wife and I have travelled all over the world and have never stayed at a place which had a nicer and more friendly staff. From the moment we arrived we were treated like stars. Even with the last minute reservation they still made the effort to put rose peddles all over our room... The facilities were perfect as was the room. The restaurant was fabulous as well.

During our stay we ran into the manager who knew who we were and wanted to ensure we had the best stay possible.

Believe it or not we were so happy with the experience that I am writing this review from the pool area on our last day!

If your looking for the best hotel for your vacation or honeymoon you can ONLY stay here!

• Stayed February 2013
Cambridge
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

A wonderful beginning to our Costa Rican vacation.

Top rated accommodations with breath-taking views of the Arenal Volcano. Very romantic and private. Knowledgable and attentive staff. Will definitely be coming back.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Nayara Hotel, Spa & Gardens? Share your experiences!