“Awesome honeymoon destination!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Nayara Hotel, Spa & Gardens

You added Nayara Hotel, Spa & Gardens to your Saves list
Nayara Hotel, Spa & Gardens
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6 KM Oeste de Fortuna | Arenal volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos, Arenal Volcano National Park 33021, Costa Rica (Formerly Arenal Nayara Hotel & Gardens)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Los Angeles, California
“Awesome honeymoon destination!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

We started off the first five nights of our honeymoon at the Nayara. The trip started off shaky after we checked in to the hotel. Although we were on our HONEYMOON and had booked a king bed 10 months in advance we were checked in to a "queen" room which was actually two double beds. I understand that hotels overbook room types, however, I was displeased that the front desk gave us no warning. Once I walked into the room I started crying...not a good start to the honeymoon. My new husband is 6' 4'' and sharing a double bed with him was not really what I had planned when we booked the resort. Had anyone gave us some type of warning I would have understood. The front desk girl that failed to mention the tiny bed situation offered us a different room, the type we had booked initially, for check in the next day and a free spa treatment but at that point I had already started off in tears...no bueno.

The food was fantastic and we recommended the wine pairing to everyone we met. I was shocked at how good the sushi was and found out that they had brought out the chef from Sushi Samba NY to train the staff. Sushi Samba is my favorite restaurant and loved the chance to indulge in the delicious fusion in a tropical environment.

Overall I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a more secluded honeymoon destination, just make sure to verify your room type so you don't get any surprises :(

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Jorge G, Manager at Nayara Hotel, Spa & Gardens, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Dear valued guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Nayara.
I want to take this opportunity to apologize for the situation you encountered with your room. I would like to mention that we checked your reservation and found no record of a king bed request and it’s our mission to accommodate every guest’s specifications.
At the moment, we do not confirm king beds since we have no category specifying the type of bed, but I want to anticipate that this year we have plans to renovate our units and we will convert some of the double bed rooms into king bed units.
On behalf of the entire Nayara family we hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Jorge Gutierrez
Resident Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (616)
Wilmington NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

We have traveled fairly extensively, and Nayara is absolutely the best place we have ever had the pleasure of staying in. The staff is amazing (J.C., Lindsay, Estephan, and everyone else too). The food is so good in Altamira that we never ate anywhere else. The spa is fabulous. The grounds are gorgeous. The Nayara Suite is all that you could ever want. At arrival, you are met with a cool towel and a fruit drink while you check in. Then you are whisked by golfcart to your accommodations. The suite has two full bath areas, with an indoor shower and an outdoor shower. There is a wraparound deck with hammock, chairs, table and hot tub, all overlooking the Arenal volcano and lush grounds. You cannot see another casita. The restaurant is very attractive, with a staff that is well trained, professional and friendly. We enjoyed a special at dinner on our first night, and the chef gladly made it for us again later in the week. Breakfast buffet is delicious with a huge array of choices, all perfectly prepared. They set out sandwiches, fruit and plastic bags so you can take lunch with you on your day's activity. Even housekeeping is great. Our housekeeper amused us with "towel animals" every day. They were so cute we hated to use the towels, so by the end of our stay, we had a menagerie. I looked hard for a flaw so this review wouldn't be so gushy, but there just wasn't one. To top it all off, the weather was gorgeous the whole stay, and we saw the volcano clear three different days.

Room Tip: I don't think there is a bad room. We enjoyed being "at the top of the hill" away fro...
Crowley, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

This hotel is worth the hype
Service is excellent
They want you to be satisfied
A group of 7 couples went and everyone felt the same
Very romantic
Staff knowledgeable about area and tours
Breakfast buffet great

San Diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

I would recommend staying here for at least 3 nights to leave time to do all the various activities in the area while also having time to enjoy the spa, pool, room, and the rest of the resort.

We stayed 2 nights in the Deluxe Room and it was pretty much as advertised - nice showers and tub on the balcony, bed was comfortable, great view. A good place to relax after doing whatever activities you choose to do in the area. I was impressed with the number of different options for breakfast, and the staff was really friendly and had lots of information and recommendations for things to do in the area. My personal highlight is bringing breakfast back to the room and watching the birds and the volcano while eating and drinking coffee. Definitely a good spot for couples.

Fairfax Station, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

As soon as we left Nayara we were already wishing we were back! The staff is amazing and the experience of Nayara will stay with me for a long time. Our travel agent booked our family of 4 at Nayara, parents with 2 college age daughters, and I was concerned that it was a honeymoon resort. Although there were several couples, there were also families with young children, families with older children as well as older couples, so we didn't feel out of place.

The staff really makes the experience. They were all very gracious and helpful. The breakfast buffet is outstanding and my daughter and I are pining for their granola bars which tasted homemade. I don't know if it was their honey in the bars or what, but when I found the last one in my carry-on luggage, we had to split it! Is it possible to get the recipe?

We signed up for the tours that the hotel offers through a group called Jacamar Naturalist Tours, http://www.arenaltours.com/. We took the Hanging bridges tour as well as they Safari Float tour and both were excellent. A huge shout out to our tour guides, Alberto, Julio and Jairo, for all the information they gave us. I feel like I learned a lot about Costa Rican animals and horticulture through them.

My only recommendation is to stay longer than 3 days at Nayara! We should have stayed longer, a week even, in order to do everything we wanted to do. Our accommodations were pristine and waking up to volcano views is an experience not to be missed.

If I could only take one more vacation in my life, I'd go back to Nayara!

Room Tip: Ask for a volcano view. Wifi doesn't seem to work anywhere except the main buildings but the wea...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear valued guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Nayara. I have already shared your great comments with the team, and I am very happy that we met our goal to deliver a memorable experience to our guests.

As per your request see below the granola recipe:
1) Granola 500 g
2) Brown sugar 100 g
3) Honey bee 175 g
4) One Lime
5) Lard 35g
6) Almond 35 g
7) Macadamia chopped 35 g

In a pan add the lard, honeybee, lime juice, let it sit until the lard is melted and mix.
In a bowl mix all the ingredients and put it in a pyrex previously greased, put the mixture and put it in the oven during 10 minutes, cool it so you can cut it to your specifications
I hope you will much enjoy our granola recipe and share it with your close relatives and friends.

Warm regards.

Jorge Gutierrez
Resident Manager
Lake Bluff, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

We had already booked this hotel before Travel & Leisure rated it one of the top romatic hotels in the world. Needless to say it didn't dissapoint. The Nayara suite was beautiful and we loved our private outdoor area with hot tub, hammock, etc. The bed was beautiful draped in sheers and the bathroom was huge with all the amenities. We were only here one night due to availability and just a quick stay in Arenal, but would recommend this place to anyone who finds themselves staying in the area. Service was also outstanding from the time we arrived until the time we left.

Room Tip: Get the Nayara Suite for sure.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

This is a superb hotel, the staff are amazing and very attentive. From the moment we arrived all the staff knew our names! The pool is beautiful with awesome views of Arenal Volcano, with yummy cocktails from the pool bar.
The rooms are more like suites, massive! Each has a large balcony with your own jacuzzi, hammock and comfy chairs. The outdoor shower is also exciting, I was joined by a frog for one shower. Food at the restuarant is delicious and fairly priced and the 'wall of wine' in the wine bar a fab gimmick.
Loved every second of our visit and determind to go again someday.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Nayara Hotel, Spa & Gardens? Share your experiences!