“Honeymoon Dream” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Nayara Hotel, Spa & Gardens

Save Saved
You added Nayara Hotel, Spa & Gardens to your Saves list
Nayara Hotel, Spa & Gardens
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6 KM Oeste de Fortuna | Arenal volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos, Arenal Volcano National Park 33021, Costa Rica (Formerly Arenal Nayara Hotel & Gardens)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Dinner+$100 spa Credit
Rochelle Park, New Jersey
“Honeymoon Dream”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

My wife and I stayed at Nayara on the first leg of our Costa Rican honeymoon. The reviews don't even begin to do this resort justice. The service, ambiance, rooms, staff, food, and accommodations are amazing. I can't say enough about this place. If you want luxury, romance and a friendly atmosphere without breaking the bank, then this place is for you.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (596)
Scottsdale, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

What a WONDERFUL hotel! It is now one of my favorites!! I would definitely come back here. I love the size and luxury (without necessarily breaking the bank) the hotel affords. Service is bar none! (And my husband and I have traveled the world, and have stayed in many, many service-oriented hotels.) From the bell people greeting you to the managers, including one of the owners! (The owner never failed to greet us even when he was in the middle of a meeting, and graciously pulled the chair out for me to sit in the restaurant. Everybody was accommodating and ready to serve. Our only regret, we only stayed for 2 nights. You will be happy you stayed here.

Kauai, HI has always been my heaven on earth, which is slowly being replaced by Costa Rica as each day goes by. Friendliest people, USD widely accepted, clean environment, democracy, free-market, safe food (even the stalls in the central market), same time zone as US, easy 3 hours from the US, most people speak English, accent-neutral, beach, mountains, coffee, and many more... PURA VIDA!!

Miranda, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Nayara is definitely gets 5 stars,100/100, two thumbs up, and every other perfect score we could give! From the minute you arrive, you feel welcomed by friends and family rather than hotel staff. Every detail you could imagine, Nayara has already thought of. From beatiful decor inside and out to umbrellas place throughout the resort in case of the random pour. I honestly have not experienced staff as friendly as Nayara's any where in my life. If I wanted to name each staff member that made our trip more enjoyable, I would have to name every person there!
We stayed in a suite and absolutely loved it! We had so much privacy which really made our trip more relaxing and personal.
When researching our trip I was worried because most of the negative reviews that I came accross were about the food at the hotel. I can honestly say that those people were obviously talking about a different place. My husband and I had all of our meals there and loved everyone of them (we were there 6 days)! If words could only express how truely amazing the breakfast buffet was! It really was fit for a king, filled with fresh fruit and delicious foods. There were even sandwiches premade that you could take as a snack later on.
I really like that even though Nayara is very fancy, you don't have to be. Most people are walking around in casual comfortable clothes because they are going on an adventure tour or just coming back from one. We highly recommend the hanging bridges, Cano Negro, and Sky Tram & Trek! Also the Nayara's couple's package in the spa was perfect!
The only regret about Nayara is that we have to leave and cannot live there!

Room Tip: We stayed in suite #50 which was excellent but be prepared for an up hill walk!
San Jose, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

I can said that this Hotel is the most impressive, amazing, outstanding and wonderful place I have stayed in my life. There is no words to describe the incredible service, the amazing views and the wonderful weekend I spent there.

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Nayara was Heaven. We stayed there for the first 4 nights of our honeymoon and if we had known how wonderful it was going to be we would have stayed there the whole time. We arrived and were given a cool cloth and smoothie while they checked us in. I did ask for a King bed suite and was put in a double but only for one night and they quickly had us moved the next morning. Everyone was so nice and helpful in giving us ideas for things to do and see. I loved that they had all the day trip and excusions you could imagine and took care of it all. The breakfast buffet was probably one of the best we have ever had, ANYWHERE. The suite was amazing so clear and huge. Every morning you woke to the most amazing views of the volcano and chirping birds. There are about 50 different suites/bungalows i believe but you feel like you are completely secluded and alone. The place has a very calming romantic feel to it, perfect for couples. Some of the suites can be a little bit of a walk if you are higher up but its good exercise and if you don't want to walk they have golf carts and they will drive you to your room. They have hot tubs nestled between the trees and plants which are great after a long day of activites. We loved CR and can't wait to go back. I would come back to Nayara again and recommend it to everyone who is considering CR.

Room Tip: we stayed in room 33 it had a great view of the volcano (but i think they all might) and it was very...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Ann Arbor, MI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

My husband and I spent five nights at Nayara this November. It was our second visit and, if possible, even better than the first. It's an absolute oasis, where I unplug like nowhere I've ever been. The grounds are lush and gorgeous, but if anything sets Nayara apart from the crowd, it's the service. The staff - from resort manager Jorge to servers and porters - is simply impeccable. They're clearly invested in the success of the resort and take incredible pride in their jobs. (A special shout out to Juan Carlos and Keillor, both of whom demonstrated such care and good humor.)

I spent my birthday there, and with the volcano as backdrop and the staff spoiling me with a birthday cake, it was one of the best ever. (Keillor's pretending not to believe I am as old as I am didn't hurt a bit either.)

The place has changed since our last visit, most notably with the opening of the sushi restaurant on the property. In addition, the demographic seemed to skew younger than last time, but that may be the effect of going in the off-season when rates were a little lower. We were a little concerned it was becoming a bit more of a party place, but that didn't bear out.

There was construction going on while we were there, which put a bit of a dent in our solitude. However, Jorge was gracious and responsive about moving us to another casita further away from the noise. His commitment to guest satisfaction is unparalleled.

Speaking of construction, it looks like Nayara is undergoing a massive expansion - I believe it's doubling its current number of casitas (45, I think right now.) One of my favorite things about Nayara is that it never feels crowded, like some resorts. It was rare to find anyone else in the gorgeous jacuzzis and while the pool was sometimes busy, it was never so much so that it felt unappealing. In truth I'm a little concerned that a big increase in guest load will change all that, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

There's also a huge increase in price coming in 2013 - nearly 20% higher than at present. I'm worried that'll price it out of our range, when we would like to keep coming back for as long as we can. In fairness to Nayara, though, this still places them lower than some of the fancy resorts surrounding them, but it may be too rich for our blood.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Wow this place is amazing!! From the grounds, room, pool, spa, food and the hotel staff. It is simply amazing!!! We stayed 3 nights and it was not long enough. We are planning our next trip back to spend a whole week.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Nayara Hotel, Spa & Gardens? Share your experiences!