We decided late in the season to book a Costa Rica trip for the four of us (me, wife, and 14 and 17 yr old kids) during Christmas break. We checked TripAdvisor for 4-5 star properties with high ratings but of course they were sold out 3-4 wks before Christmas. A friend of my wife told us about Casa Luna so we checked and found they had a room. Beware: most hotels in Costa Rica consider kids above 10-11 yrs old as adults and therefore require two rooms if it is a 2 person room. Casa Luna allowed us to have the 4 of us in this two bedded room. This was good because there 'was no way Momma was gonna let the kids in another room in another country'. The room was in C bldg 2nd floor. It overlooked the pool which was very beautiful. The pool was very modern, colorful and unbelievably, remarkably clear water. This may be because half the water gets changed out every week from the pure 'rain' in the rainforest. The water was relatively cool, not heated, but was exactly what I wanted after hot hiking all day. The grounds made you feel like you were walking thru a botanical garden or the rainforest. There were many species of orchids, ginger, and heliconia in bloom which I took some great pics of for our Shutterfly trip book. We ate 3 times at the restaurant - 2 breakfasts and one dinner. Breakfast was traditional Costa Rican fare and some staples like eggs, local fruits, and potatoes. Nothing fancy but everything was very fresh and well prepared. Dinner was also fresh with a good variety of choices at reasonable prices. Menus were in U.S. dollars, as were many tourist shops which was a bummer since I wanted to practice my 500 tables :). The front desk staff, especially Vanessa, were very friendly and professional. They spoke excellent English since unfortunately I don't speak Spanish. They can book many of the local tours for you which I highly recommend. Here's why: We had them book three activities for us in advance. The ziplining tour operator we had them schedule called them the day of the tour before we checked in to let them know they had overbooked. Vanessa rebooked us for an earlier tour at another operator since she knew we had other plans the next afternoon. When we didn't arrive early enough for that tour, she again rescheduled us to the following morning. I consider that over and above service! Finally, the gal that took care of our room made animals out of our towels and washcloths, including a fresh flower from the gardens, on our beds. We got pics of our '3 toed sloth' before using it. A nice fun touch for us and our kids!
I hope this review helps someone. I have so often turned to TripAdvisor for advice that I wanted to pay it back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Casa Luna Hotel & Spa is close to the Arenal Volcano and La Fortuna Waterfall, surrounded by the Cerro Chato Hill and Cerro los Perdidos mountain. Giving us an outstanding peace and harmony. Our distinctive "touch" is provided by the architectural harmony around the hotel. This colonial and rustic architecture has been reached with the delicious combination between wood, metal, color and wall texture, complemented with beautiful accessories. We offer personalized service beyond excellence to exceed your expectations. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, Despegar.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Casa Luna Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Casa Luna Hotel La Fortuna De San Carlos
- Casa Luna Hotel And Spa
- Casa Luna Hotel & Spa Costa Rica/Arenal Volcano National Park