“Classy and Comfortable” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Casa Luna Hotel & Spa

You added Casa Luna Hotel & Spa to your Saves list
Casa Luna Hotel & Spa
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   La Fortuna Waterfall // Catarata Rio Fortuna | 1 km south and 1.6 km west from La Fortuna Church., La Fortuna de San Carlos, Arenal Volcano National Park 4417-53, Costa Rica   |
Brimfield, Massachusetts
“Classy and Comfortable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

My high school tour group stayed 2 nights at the Casa Luna Hotel. It was a beautiful campus, with gardens and fish filled ponds. The spa gave the grounds a serene and relaxed feeling. There is a pool, it looked like it had a swim up bar as well however it was never open. In the rooms we were advised to check for scorpions every night before bed, just a Costa Rican precaution. The beds were comfortable and the AC protected us from the heat, though it did cool down outside at night. Our shower dripped constantly, which was not only annoying, but lead to a damp and messy bathroom. The breakfast buffet at the restaurant was pretty good but there were not many options. There were bees circling the breakfast table, many would not be bothered however it may be of concern for those allergic. The staff was very friendly and helpful, especially towards our large group. It couldn't have been more than a 5 minute drive to La Fortuna Waterfall. Arenal Volcano could be viewed from the balcony however the lava is not visible. I did not have a chance to experience the spa, those who did claimed it to be phenomenal. The hotel served as a great location to eat, sleep, and rest during our short time in La Fortuna.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Krabi
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

The hotel was set in a tropical landscaped setting with plenty foliage and water features which attracted an abundance of wildlife including humming birds. The pool was small but we seemed to have it to ourselves for the 2 days we stayed here. The breakfast was adequate and the staff serving were very attentive (unlike the reception staff who were rude and only seemed receptive to spanish speaking customers). The town of Fortuna is only a short and inexepensive taxi ride away and is well worth a visit as there are plenty of good restaurants and souvenir shops. We even visited the mini golf which was good fun if you don,t mind a surreal journey around the world!!!!! We did a hike to the Volcano which provided great views. I wish we had done the hot springs as this sounded fun.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Bethesda, MD
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

My son and I stayed at Casa Luna for three nights in early August 2012, and were satisfied if not thrilled by our experience there. The hotel has several things to recommend it. First, it is extremely well located, just five minutes outside of La Fortuna on a side road in a quiet, country setting. The property is meticulously and immaculately maintained, from the lush landscaping to the lovely pool area to the rooms themselves, which were spotlessly clean. My only complaint about the grounds is that the paths became slick when it rained; they could definitely benefit from a good power-wash. The rooms are very simple, without closets or other storage (which is inconvenient if you want to unpack), but they are equipped with nice patios, large modern bathrooms, and good air conditioners. It is important to note that only the rooms located close to the restaurant/bar and parking lot offer unobstructed volcano views. We had requested a second floor room with a good view when we reserved, but the traffic and noise from the adjacent restaurant/bar and parking lot was so irritating that we ended up switching to a room that was at the far end of the property, without any volcano view at all. Even there, we were awakened by the too-loud music from the bar in the morning. Breakfast was adequate but uninspired, with unappealing hot items that looked as if they had been sitting in the chafing dishes for hours, and fruit that was uncovered and therefore attracted insects. Staff was professional (except for the desk clerk who let me stand right next to her unacknowledged for five minutes while she was texting on her phone) but extremely impersonal, and lacking the warmth that we encountered elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

We stayed at the Casa Luna hotel mid-July 2012 and loved our stay. The rooms were very basic, so don't expect a resort experience. But the bed was nice and soft and there was AC & coffee maker. The views of the volcano from the hotel was amazing! The breakfast was good and drinks were awesome. The rooms didn't have proper insulation and bugs were crawling into the room from under the door since we were on the 1st floor. A 2nd floor room would have solved the issue.

The hotel is very close to the LaFortuna waterfall and we hiked up there one day. Getting into town was not bad either, a $4 taxi ride.

Overall a nice stay!

Room Tip: Get a room on the 2nd floor, less bugs and better views.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Fort Collins, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

We really loved this hotel. It was very beautiful! I booked it back in November for our June trip. When I booked the hotel I think it was rated around #26 out of 64 hotels. I kept checking back on TripAdvisor to read new reviews. It kept climbing in rank over the months. It is now #16 out of 64. I believe this is due to the wonderful staff that is working here and the beautiful location of Casa Luna.

We stayed here from Friday until Monday morning (3 nights). We stayed in room B4. The room was a little smaller than I thought it would be, but it worked fine for the three of us (myself,husband and 8 year old). The view from the deck and window was AMAZINGLY gorgeous! I just love that view of Arenal Volcano. The grounds on this place are unbelieveable! There are so many plants, trees and flowers. It’s really overwhelmingly beautiful. They also have several ponds in front of the rooms along the path to the cottages. All of the rooms are set into cottages/pods/buildings of 4 – two on top and two on the bottom. I like this, as I feel it keeps the noise down. I was really surprised at how well the air conditioning worked in the room! My husband does HVAC and said that it’s called a “mini split A/C”. All I know is that it would cool it down FAST! I didn’t remember to take photos of the actual room until the last day of our trip when we were leaving, so it sort of looks like a disaster, but that’s due to us! It had two beds (full size? Or queen?), night stand, TV (why anyone would watch it in paradise, I do NOT know!), drawers with extra blankets (only sheet/comforter were on the bed, and bathroom with a really tall shower head (yay, I didn’t have to do squats to take a shower). I think some people comment that they don’t like the shower with the half door – half of it is open, so water kind of gets everywhere, but I found that it appears that most places in CR have showers like this and usually a much lower showerhead. Just make sure you don’t put the clothes you’re going to wear on the floor and you’ll be just fine! The deck was wonderful! It had two nice big chairs and a table with the amazing volcano view and views of Casa Luna’s gardens. The room did not have an alarm clock, but the desk was very good at calling exactly when I needed for a wake up call. I thought the beds were very comfortable as I slept really well!

The pool was also absolutely gorgeous! I loved the view from there as well! There was a swim up bar and I did see a guy working there a few of the days, although we did not use it.

There is a lot of wildlife on the grounds – birds, butterflies, lizards, geckos, frogs and toads. My husband and 8 year old daughter’s favorite thing was to go try to catch the toads/frogs at night with their headlamps. There is also a nice little river toward the back of the property with paths going through it. There were some mosquitos down in that area, but I didn’t notice them anywhere else on the property! As a matter of a fact, I’d say we have way more mosquitos in Colorado than they have here!

Our first night we arrived at the hotel at 5:00 p.m. after a long day of traveling. Ricardo greeted us at the front desk and had someone bring us delicious fruit welcome drinks. It was very delicious. We were very tired, so we just decided to eat at the hotel restaurant for that night. I like the layout of the restaurant. It’s very big and open. It’s connected to the bar. The staff in both of these places were extremely nice. Our server was great. His name was Adrian. Our meal was very delicious – ceviche for an appetizer (really yummy), my daughter had fettucine alfredo (she loved it), I had Vodka Shrimp in White Sauce (delicious) and my husband had the Spinach Ricotta Ravioli. We also had 2 beers, a pina colada, a bottle of water and the pineapple flambed dessert. The total bill with tip was $57. This isn’t outrageously expensive considering how much food we ate, but it’s not cheap either. We did eat in town at Soda Visquez (for about $5-$8 a plate) and loved it. See my review for this place. We did eat the buffet breakfast every morning and we all thought that it offered a lot of choices and was very good for a “included” meal compared to what some places serve!

They have a spa, but I cannot speak about the services, as we did not use it. If it’s anything like the rest of the hotel, it’s probably fabulous!

We did not rent a car. It wasn’t really necessary for us, as most tour companies will pick you up at the hotel and a cab ride is just $4 to town. We did take a cab to Proyecto Asis (highly recommend visiting there also) and it was about $35 for the ride there and the same amount back to town. We also did a Twilight Safari Float by Rio Tropicales and the rappelling by Pure Trek. Lastly we walked to La Fortuna Waterfall from the hotel. It’s very doable, if you are an active person. If you are some city person who never walks anywhere or gets any exercise, than maybe it’s not for you! It’s about 3 KM from the hotel. We left at NOON (after we did the rappelling) so it was very HOT on our walk! There is a little house down the street that will sell coconut waters for $1 each. We bought them! It took maybe an hour to walk there from the hotel, stopping for our 8 year old to have breaks. We messed around at the waterfall for a few hours and then hiked all the stairs back up and walked the 2 KM back to the hotel. We did stop at a little place called “Neptune’s” on the way back. It’s a gift shop and they have smoothies (batidos). They were delicious! They also have a cool oven outside and the lady said that they were going to start serving pizzas too. They guy makes really cool hammocks! If you want one – buy it here! We should have bought one!

The only thing negative I have to say about the place is their wifi service. They supposedly had it everywhere, but it did not work everywhere. I could usually get it to work in the restaurant or in the reception area, but NEVER in the room. I spoke with several other travelers that were staying in there in various rooms and they all had the same problem. I believe that they do really have a router for the room area, but it does NOT work properly, as I couldn’t find a single person that actually could make it work in their room. They should really try to fix this – as it would be better, but that’s really my only complaint.

Another thing that I found out right before we left (due to another person’s review) was that they do not allow smoking on the hotel premisis. This person was complaining that they had to walk down the street to smoke. From another perspective…THANK YOU CASA LUNA!!!! I LOVE this policy and was so excited to breathe the fresh air everywhere! I hate smoke and do not like to be subjected to anyone else’s second hand smoke! I think this is a fabulous policy! I didn’t know this when I booked, but was pleasantly surprised by it! Actually I was pleasantly surprised by how many restaurants do not allow smoking at them. Yay for NO SMOKING!

Overall, we had a great experience at Casa Luna and would highly recommend it to anyone. We would definitely stay there again the next time we’re in La Fortuna!

Room Tip: I would definitely request an upstairs room - better views! B4 was a great one.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
orange county, ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

This hotel is just outside town with a great view of the volcano from the room. It was great to wake up early and sit on the chairs outside and watch the wildlife with the volcano in the background or relax in the pool at the end of a long day of hiking. The staff were friendly and informed and helped us find a great hot spring resort to visit with the kids.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
La Fortuna de San Carlos, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

Last minute overnight in La Fortuna found us at Casa Luna. Very welcoming and beautiful reception space set the scene. Rooms were set in individual buildings, each fo which housed 4 rooms. Front terrace area with sitting chairs. Very spacious bathrooms and super hot water! Drinks and dinner at restaurant were reasonably priced and very delicious! Would definitely stay again if given the opportunity!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Casa Luna Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!