“A beautiful hotel in a spectacular setting” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Mountain Paradise

You added Hotel Mountain Paradise to your Saves list
Hotel Mountain Paradise
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   La Palma De La Fortuna, La Fortuna de San Carlos, Arenal Volcano National Park 183-4400, Costa Rica   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Sacramento, California
“A beautiful hotel in a spectacular setting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2010

Wow- this was the best hotel we stayed in on our Costa Rica vacation! The beds were A+. TV, hot tubs on each patio, bungalow style rooms that were huge. And the best part was the waterfall shower. Very cool place to stay- we wished we stayed in Arenal longer. They have a free shuttle to downtown for shopping and a rental car for the day was $49. The restaurant was very good, but a little pricey. This would be a awesome honeymoon hotel. Pool w/ swim up bar and gorgeous grounds. A little hilly, but they pick you up in golf carts. the safe in the room actually worked here. You could hear the volcano rumbling from your room.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2010

Beautiful grounds, excellent room, great service. We spent two magnificent nights at the Hotel Mountain Paradise. From the moment we arrived we found a proud and accommodating staff. The room was large and looked out at the volcano. My wife loved the waterfall shower. As we had a rental car the location out of town was not a problem. On the other hand I enjoyed being away from the town. Why go on a nature vacation to be in a town? The hotel provides a courtesy bus to town on a regular schedule. The WIFI signal was weak, but it was good enough to make SKYPE calls. My wife loved the spa.

Highly recommended.

Walden, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2010

I recently vacationed in La Fortuna, Costa Rica, and stayed in the Hotel Mountain Paradise. There are some issues I would like people to know prior to booking this hotel, which unfortunately, were not told to me.

1. There is NO cool pool. This property, which sits at the base of the Arenal Volcano, pumps in the natural hot springs water to fill their pool. As a result, when it's extremely hot, there is no water to cool off in, which was extremely frustrating. Their restaurant is also open air, so there was no escaping the heat in this facility either. We were forced to stay in our rooms during the heat of the day.

2. My room was very musty smelling, like that of a basement.

3. The housekeeping staff would shut off the air conditioner when we were not present in the room! It needed to stay on to keep the room cool (again, as our only escape from the heat) and to try to dissipate the musty smell. I was angry about this as I felt I was the renter of the hotel room, and it is my prerogative whether to keep the air on or off.

4. There is nothing around the hotel to do, so if you want go into town, it's a cab ride away.

To conclude, it was a decent property, but not exemplary in my estimation. One fun thing, though- the bathroom had both a rain shower head and a waterfall shower. But, overall, I had to give it the red thumb down. In fact, stay away from this part of the country all together, and look for another area.

Nick D.,
Montgomery, NY

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2010

The hotel is absolutely gorgeous, that is without question. The service was impeccable, almost too much service. The only things I can complain about are the bugs, and some other cleaning issues. The hotel is situated in a midst of a tropical garden, which is quite lovely,and the hotel /rooms are themed accordingly. This works, until the windows are left open. I am from Florida and I am well aware of what happens when you leave windows open in a tropical climate, you get bugs. There were a fair amount of bugs, and the live plants living in dirt...in your room, give them a great habitat. Other than the bugs, the location is a little bit of a drive, but not that bad. Restaurant is a bit pricey for me, and we never used the outside spa....due to bugs. Overall great, but a more liberal use of screens would be appreciated. By the way, bed was comfy, breakfast was delicious, AC works amazingly well, poor internet signal in room.

Colorado Springs, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2010

The grounds are absolutely gorgeous. The shrubs are well manicured, the flowers are amazing, the banana trees are tremendously huge. This place gave a fine first impression. Then I walked inside reception.

The service was mostly cordial. The staff, generally speaking, is willing to help. It was weird, though. I got a vibe from many of the staff that the hospitality was forced, and I was an inconvenience that they would tolerate for a few minutes. If I had any extra needs (which I didn't, thankfully), it would seemed like it would really be an annoyance to them. Almost every encounter was like this. They all seemed rushed.

The room == ridiculous. The walls all look like they're made from that shapeable concrete that amusement parks use to design things to look like rocks. The room was painted an obnoxious mustard yellow. The ceilings were probably 15 ft high, and the tv was mounted directly below the ceiling - very awkward placement. Most everything was only in half-working condition, for example:
- the back side of the sliding door was splintered and derailed from the track, so opening the door was a headache.
- the toilet had practically no water pressure and made a loud whining noise while the tank refilled. Weak water pressure meant every trip to the bathroom was at least two flushes. Annoying.
- there was a dense trail of ants marching into the waterfall shower the entire stay! I don't know what they were eating, but I was here for 3 days and they were part of the room the whole time.
- the housekeeping did a halfway job. There were smeared mosquitos in several places on the walls. The mosquito bodies were cleaned off, but the guts were still there.
I could continue, but these were the highlights. It's like the building standards were equal to what I would expect in a kid's playhouse.

The amenities - nothing special. There was a swim-up bar, which was nice. The restaurant, however, was embarrassingly bad. The first night we arrived, we learned the hard way why nobody was eating at the restaurant. The prices were overinflated, the service was slower than a snail, and the food was just okay. My wife and I shared an appetizer, had a medium-priced entree apiece, one mixed drink each, and the bill was $90. Get real. For every other meal (aside from the free breakfast), we decided to walk down the road to the other hotel to eat at their restaurant. The prices were slightly cheaper there, the service was stellar, the food was absolutely gourmet, and it was about 100 meters down the road. Totally worth the walk. Now that I know, next time I'll stay at that hotel.

***BEWARE*** every hotel restaurant tacks on an obligatory 10% "service fee" in addition to the 13% tax. Anything and everything in the hotels includes this insane markup. The price tag + almost another 25% = the price you pay. Costa Rica es muy expensivo.

Heredia, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2010

This is a fantastic hotel, the service, staff, nature, food, everything!!! I had a great time here!!! My vacations were unforgetable!!! I'll return to La Fortuna soon!!! I love this place!!!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2010

My friends and I had a wonderful time at this hotel. The service was great & the scenery was spectacular! Loved it!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Mountain Paradise? Share your experiences!