“Beautiful place but...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Mountain Paradise

Save Saved
You added Hotel Mountain Paradise to your Saves list
Hotel Mountain Paradise
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   La Palma De La Fortuna, La Fortuna de San Carlos, Arenal Volcano National Park 183-4400, Costa Rica   |
Arnold, California
“Beautiful place but...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

The grounds are beautiful, and the staff friendly, courteous, and eager to help. The views are terrific from the patio of our room and the restaurant where we enjoyed breakfast.
The place was difficult to find in the dark as the sign is placed back from the road and has small lettering next to a large picture. We passed it the first time and almost missed it again in the daylight.
After being shown to our room we tried to settle in. No dresser or closet. Put our luggage on the extra bed. The waterfall shower is novel and picturesque. However as others mentioned, water splashes all over and makes the floor extremely slippery. Be careful. Not impressed with the hi-tech light controller either, especially since it decided to start beeping in the middle of the night.
Our room was half of a duplex and our neighbors arrived around 2:00am. We heard EVERYTHING. Apparently there is no sound proofing. Thank goodness for earplugs.
In room coffee is available at extra cost.
Location is good and provided easy access to the town of LaFortuna, Arenal Volcano and Lake, along with many local attractions such as Pure Trek Canyoning, Arenal Hanging Bridges, Sky Tram and zip lines.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

923 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

Great location - close to Baldi and the NP. The flowers and plantings are gorgeous and our patio looked out directly on the volcano. The staff provided a wonderful welcome and made our stay great. We had some difficulty with our departure and the office staff stepped in and helped us contact our driver.

The rooms are dramatic! The bathrooms are huge with waterfall showers. We saw a great variety of birds right from our room, pool, and grounds - turkeys, toucans, hummingbirds, parrots, and nightingales.

The restaurant was good - the included breakfast offered CR and American style breakfasts with plenty of fruit, cereal and juices. Their dinner menu is elaborate by my standards. Our selections were well done and their wine list is decent.

Room Tip: Slower time of the year so it was nice and quiet.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

Getting to the hotel from the airport was a journey in itself. Upon arrival though, made it well worth the ride. This hotel is awesome with the waterfall shower and jacuzzi in your private backyard. The staff is friendly and accommodating. Every time we walked to our room if felt as if we were going to our own little romantic paradise. The room was clean and the grounds were clean and well kept as well. I would definitely go back when I return to Costa Rica.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
newcastle
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

I would give this hotel 4 stars and I can definitely see why other people have rated it this way. There are some great points but some things were a let down for us personally. We found the lighting very annoying. Although there was a hi tec wall pad to control the lights, they still never got bright enough, and the room always seemed dark even with the patio doors open due to the bushes and shrubery around each terrace. The major reason we have knocked stars off was due to the poor service at the resturant we had. Both of us were dissatisfied with both our starters and main meals. I had to send my first main dish back as it was utterly inedible. I have no idea how a chef could have sent it out and thought it was ok. My second choice came back and was missing ingredients from the menu, and by then my OH had finished eating and we just wanted to leave. They staff did wipe some cost from the bill though and this was much appreciated. Onto the positive points, and there are many I must agree. The room is nice and large with a good sized tv. The terrace is lovely to sit on and watch the humming birds, and we made use of the mini jacuzzi which I recommend you should definitly not miss out on. The breakfast was good all days except one when the waiter didnt hand us a menu to order from as usual and just said continental or a different style (I forget which others now). Not knowing which was what I ordered continental and all I got was 3 slices of warm bread (not even toasted!) and no butter. Another good point was the heated pool and swim up bar that we used. It was quiet season when we arrived and we often had it to ourselves. The barman Johann(?) was a delight. Oh, and not to forget the impressive style bathroom. Having 2 showers to choose from was great. Although one of our windows was damaged and didnt shut properly. As such, this was a risk for theft so was disappointing. The wifi also did not work in our room despite it being near reception and the website offering this as a service. All this though, we had a great stay and enjoyed the area. Would recommend for many others.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Hamilton, Bermuda
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

This was the best hotel we stayed in while visiting Costa Rica. The rooms, setting, service and staff were first rate. The grounds and view of volcano Arenal were spectacular. I would highly recommend Hotel Mountain Paradise to anyone traveling to La Fortuna.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Beverly Hills, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

This was a most pleasant experience......from the time we arrived with a greeting drink to the end of our stay, we have nothing but praise to offer about this Hotel. Gabriela at front desk was always helpful, pleasant and friendly with a smile! I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone who is accustomed to being treated well in a lovely atmosphere! My mouth dropped open when I saw the bathroom.......garden paradise! You won't be disappointed and the beds were exceptionally comfortable. We slept with the patio door open and never used A/C. Thank you to the staff for making our stay such a memorable one.

Room Tip: check out the bathroom.........I was so pleasantly surprised! The showers are amazing......and there...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Naples, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

We spent 5 nights here the first of Oct. It was me and my husband and my mother in a master suite which has 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms as well as it's own private heated swimming pool. Breakfast was included each day. Only one day did they have the full buffet due to low occupancy but then we ordered off the menu. One night we had dinner and the food was pricey but out of this world fantastic.

Our room was 403 so it was a hike up the hill, The only reason I am not giving 5 stars is because you cannot park near your room and this was an issue because my mom has mobility issues. The view from our room was spectacular. The volcano was clear most of the time, we saw hundreds of hummingbirds, dozens of toucans, a troupe of howler monkeys and many other birds. The room had a waterfall shower in the master bath (btw is the size of my bedroom) and we all enjoyed it. Everyday we marveled at the towel animals. I am a concierge at a luxury resort in FL so I am jaded but I learned a lot from the staff here.

Daniel's check in was superb and I plan on "borrowing" some on his techniques. He set me and my mom up for the chocolate spa package. The spa tech was one of the best I have experienced. He also reserved our tabacon hot springs and a safari float. We used the thermal pool at the hotel but not the wet bar. The grounds are kept perfectly and the landscaping is so pretty and tropical.

Rooms are super clean. If we were traveling without my mom we would come back, but the walking was too much for her.

Room Tip: The higher rooms are more private but you have to walk up/down a hill to your car/pool/dining
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Mountain Paradise? Share your experiences!