“This hotel and staff add to the paradise of Arenal” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Mountain Paradise

You added Hotel Mountain Paradise to your Saves list
Hotel Mountain Paradise
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   La Palma De La Fortuna, La Fortuna de San Carlos, Arenal Volcano National Park 183-4400, Costa Rica   |
Tamarindo, costa rica
“This hotel and staff add to the paradise of Arenal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

We recently stayed here for 4 nights in early December, as 2 couples traveling together. The staff was very courteous and happy. They provided top service, be it for dinning, clean rooms, concierge, or transporting us and our bags to/from our rooms. My thanks to each one for their personal attention.

We really liked the 'fun' factor of the hotel: a waterfall shower in the bathroom, a mini hot tub on our own private patio, the plants and moss growing on the roof, and all the birds and tropical plants present on the hotel grounds. As a birder and plant lover, it was great to get up in the morning and start my day admiring the native plants and wildlife right out my door. Not to mention the morning views of the Arenal volcano while sipping coffee at the restaurant.

We enjoyed the options for dinning/drinks at their main restaurant next to the pool, at the pool, and just down the lane at their 'outside' restaurtant. There was also dinning options at another hotel next door. This flexability was great after being out all day. And the complimentary breakfast was really convenient- we got to explore the area on a full stomach each day.

We found a good deal via the internet, which really sealed the deal for us. I would stay here again if in the Arenal area, because the value was well worth it.

Room Tip: ask for a volcano view room
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
detroit
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

I chose Hotel Mountain Paradise based on trip advisor reviews and it was everything I expected and more. The moment we arrived we were greeted by the hotel receptionist and then driven to our room on a golf cart with our luggage. The room was much larger than we expected and we were pleasantly surprised. We had a great view of the volcano from our back porch along with 2 rocking chairs and a jacuzzi. The king bed was extremely comfortable and the bathroom, as past reviewers have mentioned, has a water fall next to the shower and it's very spacious. The restaurant was good, we only had breakfast there which is a buffet of a mix of american and typical Costa Rican food, and you can order a custom omelette. The pool was nice and loved taking swims at night because it is heated. Overall, excellent hotel with great service, beautiful property, and conveniently located to La Fortuna town and the hot springs.

Israel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012 via mobile

Very nice with wonderful rooms. We had room 102 which is the nicest location. Maria and Majid at the front desk were terrific. They had a waterfall in the bathroom. Wow!
The only negative issues were the breakfast, which was quite mediocre, and the lack of a swimming pool. They have 2 foot deep warm pools but the whole resort only offers 8 loungers for the entire property. I'd still recommend it, but not for kids because it the swimming pool.

• Stayed December 2012
Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

This property has such fun amenities. The waterfall shower was a big hit for my 10 year old son (my husband and I loved it too!). The separate "houses" are such a nice change from a typcial hotel "room." The houses are spacious and clean. The outdoor areas are incredibly beautiful. We had our own splash pool! The main pool is very nicely heated, which I just loved because I am always cold. The views from all areas are amazing. You can see the volcano with no problem, but the top is often covered in clouds. I have never seen so many hummingbirds! They were everywhere! Lizards were also common. I love hummingbirds and lizards! The landscaping is wonderful - beautiful flowers and fruit trees. We did the Penas Blancas Safari Float and the Arenal Hanging Bridges guided tours. Both were excellent. We saw a crocodile up close, howler monkees, sloths, toucans, spider monkeys leaping through the trees (even moms with babies on their backs!) and more. The tour guides were so good at spotting the animals and very well informed. They answered every question we had and offered so many interesting tidbits. It was a magical vacation :)

Room Tip: Especially when it is warmer out, the rooms with the splash pools are just so fun and special.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
St. Catharines, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 3 nights at the beginning of December 2012. The staff was very friendly and made us feel welcome from the beginning by giving us a cool refreshing towel and welcome drink when we checked in. Our room was clean (although the scent of cleaner lingered for awhile after each cleaning which was kind of gross). The showerS were very impressive!! Only problem was it didn't take long to run out of hot water-- also an issue for the jacuzzi on the balcony. My biggest disappointment-- I was REALLY looking forward to the jacuzzi and view of the volcano from our balcony. The jacuzzi was quite small-- not enough for 2 people. Not even enough hot water to fill it! And the view was totally obstructed by a huge plant. In the end, this wasn't a big deal because the volcano was covered in clouds anyways and the plant gave us privacy. But still-- the volcano view and jacuzzi sold me on the place. So don't get you hopes up on that!

The breakfast was like any other place we've stayed in Costa Rica-- nothing spectacular, but I'm always happy with eggs made to order, bread and fresh juice! We ate at the restaurant one night-- decent but not amazing. The shuttle into town was nice, but I wish it ran more frequently. Pool area is nice but not very big.

After driving past some of the other places I had considered in this price range, I was happy that I chose Mountain Paradise, that's for sure!! Obviously the big names like Baldi and Tabacon looked beautiful, but some of the others that I came across online looked wayyyy different in person. If we had pulled up to one of those I would have been disappointed, that's for sure. Mountain Paradise is beautiful and just what I expected for the price.

Also-- keep in mind that the town of La Fortuna is very touristy and the hotels in the area reflect that!

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

We stayed at the Mountain Paradise Hotel for 3 nights and we absolutely had a great time there..

HOTEL
---------

The location was beautiful with plants, flowers and a great view of Arenal Volcano. It was moderately priced compared to some other resorts in the area. The staff was super friendly and made sure we were very comfortable with our stay. Its close proximity to the town helps since there are a lot of food places and souvenir shops around.

ROOMS
----------

Everything about the villa was tasteful. The room was a traditional decor with an outdoor jacuzzi with a grand view of the Arenal Volcano; the furnishing was nothing spectacular, but was adequate. The bathroom was huge with a regular shower and the rain shower (gotta try that one!!). Overall, we were satisfied with the room.

RESTAURANT
------------------

Fun, friendly staff with great breakfast and food ! Ask them to make a pizza (even though they do not have pizza in their menu) and you will get a gourmet pizza :-).

OVERALL
------------

Fabulous Stay with Ultra Friendly Staff !! Highly Recommended....

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012 via mobile

The rooms are out of this world. The spa is filled with Angels and the foo is great. There are tons of activities around the area and it is a great place to spend some a vacation. You must try the hot springs in the area and the canopy thy recommend is outstanding. The staff is very helpful, and will go out of their way to make sure your happy. The only criticisms I could give are the resort Could use a hot tub by the pool (although we had one in our room) they have a setup next the pool, but don't heat it. Also the hot water in the rooms can be scares at times.

• Stayed November 2012

Been to Hotel Mountain Paradise? Share your experiences!