“Enchanting.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Mountain Paradise

Save Saved
You added Hotel Mountain Paradise to your Saves list
Hotel Mountain Paradise
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   La Palma De La Fortuna, La Fortuna de San Carlos, Arenal Volcano National Park 183-4400, Costa Rica   |
Israel
“Enchanting.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012 via mobile

Very nice with wonderful rooms. We had room 102 which is the nicest location. Maria and Majid at the front desk were terrific. They had a waterfall in the bathroom. Wow!
The only negative issues were the breakfast, which was quite mediocre, and the lack of a swimming pool. They have 2 foot deep warm pools but the whole resort only offers 8 loungers for the entire property. I'd still recommend it, but not for kids because it the swimming pool.

• Stayed December 2012

925 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

This property has such fun amenities. The waterfall shower was a big hit for my 10 year old son (my husband and I loved it too!). The separate "houses" are such a nice change from a typcial hotel "room." The houses are spacious and clean. The outdoor areas are incredibly beautiful. We had our own splash pool! The main pool is very nicely heated, which I just loved because I am always cold. The views from all areas are amazing. You can see the volcano with no problem, but the top is often covered in clouds. I have never seen so many hummingbirds! They were everywhere! Lizards were also common. I love hummingbirds and lizards! The landscaping is wonderful - beautiful flowers and fruit trees. We did the Penas Blancas Safari Float and the Arenal Hanging Bridges guided tours. Both were excellent. We saw a crocodile up close, howler monkees, sloths, toucans, spider monkeys leaping through the trees (even moms with babies on their backs!) and more. The tour guides were so good at spotting the animals and very well informed. They answered every question we had and offered so many interesting tidbits. It was a magical vacation :)

Room Tip: Especially when it is warmer out, the rooms with the splash pools are just so fun and special.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
St. Catharines, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 3 nights at the beginning of December 2012. The staff was very friendly and made us feel welcome from the beginning by giving us a cool refreshing towel and welcome drink when we checked in. Our room was clean (although the scent of cleaner lingered for awhile after each cleaning which was kind of gross). The showerS were very impressive!! Only problem was it didn't take long to run out of hot water-- also an issue for the jacuzzi on the balcony. My biggest disappointment-- I was REALLY looking forward to the jacuzzi and view of the volcano from our balcony. The jacuzzi was quite small-- not enough for 2 people. Not even enough hot water to fill it! And the view was totally obstructed by a huge plant. In the end, this wasn't a big deal because the volcano was covered in clouds anyways and the plant gave us privacy. But still-- the volcano view and jacuzzi sold me on the place. So don't get you hopes up on that!

The breakfast was like any other place we've stayed in Costa Rica-- nothing spectacular, but I'm always happy with eggs made to order, bread and fresh juice! We ate at the restaurant one night-- decent but not amazing. The shuttle into town was nice, but I wish it ran more frequently. Pool area is nice but not very big.

After driving past some of the other places I had considered in this price range, I was happy that I chose Mountain Paradise, that's for sure!! Obviously the big names like Baldi and Tabacon looked beautiful, but some of the others that I came across online looked wayyyy different in person. If we had pulled up to one of those I would have been disappointed, that's for sure. Mountain Paradise is beautiful and just what I expected for the price.

Also-- keep in mind that the town of La Fortuna is very touristy and the hotels in the area reflect that!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

We stayed at the Mountain Paradise Hotel for 3 nights and we absolutely had a great time there..

HOTEL
---------

The location was beautiful with plants, flowers and a great view of Arenal Volcano. It was moderately priced compared to some other resorts in the area. The staff was super friendly and made sure we were very comfortable with our stay. Its close proximity to the town helps since there are a lot of food places and souvenir shops around.

ROOMS
----------

Everything about the villa was tasteful. The room was a traditional decor with an outdoor jacuzzi with a grand view of the Arenal Volcano; the furnishing was nothing spectacular, but was adequate. The bathroom was huge with a regular shower and the rain shower (gotta try that one!!). Overall, we were satisfied with the room.

RESTAURANT
------------------

Fun, friendly staff with great breakfast and food ! Ask them to make a pizza (even though they do not have pizza in their menu) and you will get a gourmet pizza :-).

OVERALL
------------

Fabulous Stay with Ultra Friendly Staff !! Highly Recommended....

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012 via mobile

The rooms are out of this world. The spa is filled with Angels and the foo is great. There are tons of activities around the area and it is a great place to spend some a vacation. You must try the hot springs in the area and the canopy thy recommend is outstanding. The staff is very helpful, and will go out of their way to make sure your happy. The only criticisms I could give are the resort Could use a hot tub by the pool (although we had one in our room) they have a setup next the pool, but don't heat it. Also the hot water in the rooms can be scares at times.

• Stayed November 2012
Fair Oaks, California, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Beautiful grounds, heated pool (no spa), 2 person jacuzzi was fun, but the drinks are EXTREMELY overpriced. The Pesto pasta was good! The breakfast buffet was OK. Daniel was awesome and funny. Johan at the pool bar was fun, but the restaurant staff wasn't very friendly in my opinion. The showers look cool, but they end up flooding the ENTIRE bathroom floor (which was just concrete slate, so SUPER slippery.) The lush green plants/flowers, birds, and view of the volcano were great tho!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here in villa 310. I will be honest and say that I think we where a little jaded after staying in the most fabulouse boutique resort in Santa Teresa (pranamar villas) before making our way here. I think that this place must have been really great 10 years ago but now it's kinda down hill. Our room smelled like a public bathroom, and the showers now leak like crazy and spray the entire room. The pool is nice but the drinks and food are over priced. The staff was not that friendly especially in the restaurant. I will say that the guy that drove us to the airport in the morning was great, our drive was 3 hours and very foggy and whindy! Over all La Fortuna and arenal are very touristy cities and this wasn't our fit.

P.s. eat at Lava Lounge in La Fortuna! Great food and reasonable prices. Also the sky treck zip lines are great!

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Mountain Paradise? Share your experiences!