“Nice, but....” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Mountain Paradise

You added Hotel Mountain Paradise to your Saves list
Hotel Mountain Paradise
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   La Palma De La Fortuna, La Fortuna de San Carlos, Arenal Volcano National Park 183-4400, Costa Rica   |
Fort Collins, Colorado
“Nice, but....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

This hotel is a good value and the property is very beautiful. I really struggled with the rating i gave the hotel, 3 or 4.

pros:
beautiful property
great pool
shuttle to town
feels very private

cons:
service was pretty good, but we always felt like they were upset we didn't book our adventures through them. (we like to be on our timeline and not someone else's)
the bathroom - cleanliness left a little to be desired
our room would/could have an AMAZING view of the volcano if some of the brush was trimmed, but as it was we just got to look at about 10 feet of grass and then brush.
expensive restaraunt.

I guess the real test would be to ask 'would we stay here again?'. And the answer for us would probably be 'depends on the price'.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
Westerly, Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

I booked a four-night stay here based on a great TripAdvisor rating. I could not have been happier! It was a little difficult to find, and the road was scary to drive on, but it was worth it. We were greeted with welcome drinks and escorted up the hill (not too steep) to our room. I thought it was cool they gave us a tour of the grounds and our room. There was a waterfall shower as well as a multi-head shower side by side. The furniture and ceiling woodwork is so pretty. I kept finding myself staring at it throughout our stay. Our private porch had two rocking chairs and the hot tub. The tub wasn't super roomy, but still nice. You couldn't beat the view of the volcano. My pictures came out like postcards and they were taken from my private deck! The gardens are gorgeous. The flowers are beautiful and we saw so many hummingbirds! The hotel pool is heated and has a swim up bar. My one and only complaint is that the stools on the swimming pool side as well as the concrete in the pool cut up some of my skin. Food is terrific and super fresh. The morning buffet always had different items on the menu including fresh juices, tico staples, pancakes, fresh fruits, and eggs to order. Coffee is fantastic which is kind of important considering it is Costa Rica. I would highly recommend this resort for anyone who prefers a quieter atmosphere. All of the employees are friendly and always smiling. Fabulous stay :)

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

What an awesome surprise. I was dying to see Arenal and had no idea where to stay and I read trip advisor and when comparing prices decided to give the Mountain Paradise a shot. Amazing views with amenities galore. They have bikes, ATV's, tours, etc. the class of travelers in this boutique hotel was classy and professional. I quickly learned that the larger hotels bring in the tour groups, but this property does a great job filtering it all out.

Amazing free breakfast with an awesome dinner. Daniel was great in showing us the property, providing guidance to the area and directions around town. I'd highly recommend this property to anyone wanting a trip to the volcano.

Room Tip: Fork out some extra cash and get a room with a private pool.
Grecia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

The gardens here are wonderful. When we showed up they met us with a "welcoming drink" of fresh fruit. Fabulous.
The rooms are decent, but the "jacuzzi" in every room is a bathtub with water jets on the private porch. We did have a private porch with two rocking chairs, the bathtub, and a small yard area. We had a room that was one step down from their best ones.
The waterfall shower looks bizarre - like a natural waterfall in your bathroom, complete with live plants, but there is a serious design flaw. The ledge the water falls from doesn't protrude far enough so someone can stand under with without hugging the wall. Also, the first day we were there the hot water pressure was horrible, but it was fine the second day.
They do not have "hot pools" similar to the other resorts. They have 4 pool areas, three are connected and thus the same temperature. A very nice warm temperature with a swim up bar. The other pool is a cold pool. Very neat, sure, but not "hot pools" similar to the quality you can find around the area. The food and drinks were expensive - $8-10 a drink. We only had breakfast at the place, which was quite good. A wonderful place to lounge around and relax. I would definitely come back! I stated every "bad" thing about the place we encountered - as you can tell, not much. The service was spectacular, the location is wonderful, especially if you have your own car.

Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

Hotel Mountain Paradise was paradise. The hotel itself was beautiful, the rooms were more than we expected, and the view of the volcano from the restaurant was gorgeous. To top it all off the staff were amazing and so helpful. I couldn't have asked for better service.This hotel was definitely one of the best I have ever stayed in. I will definitely be staying at this hotel when I return to La Fortuna. The only downside was that I couldn't stay longer.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Mount Joy, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

We stayed here to start our honeymoon before moving to the Westin on the beach and this place won hands down. The complimentary breakfast was amazing as you looked over the volcano with gardens and trees covered with flowers. The rooms were clean and the staff was helpful. They helped me out in a time of crisis when I was pick pocketed in La Fortuna. They have a free shuttle into town and can help you plan many adventures. I ate at the restaurant there and it was delicious and romantic. My only small complaint was the water pressure was a bit low. I plan to visit this Hotel again. The hotel is safe and secluded, Just watch out for the pickpocketers in town as it seemed from the police that this was common place that they were returning wallets, as they only took the cash.

Room Tip: I would recommend getting a room closer to the front of the hotel (like 107) as these have the best...
Saint Cloud, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

If I could stay and live there, this is where I would be.The view is amazing...all over the hotel you can see the volcano. The hotel overall and staff were amazing. very humble people, polite, speak perfect English for those that do not speak Spanish. The hotel provides all transportation to all the area of the Arenal and the tours can be booked with them with a tour guide included...so well worth it! Already planning my trip for next year and definitely planning to stay there again!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Mountain Paradise? Share your experiences!