“Excellent, beautiful, and affordable!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Mountain Paradise

You added Hotel Mountain Paradise to your Saves list
Hotel Mountain Paradise
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   La Palma De La Fortuna, La Fortuna de San Carlos, Arenal Volcano National Park 183-4400, Costa Rica   |
San Diego
“Excellent, beautiful, and affordable!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

I recently spent 4 nights at this beautiful hotel in costa rica! The grounds are spectacular, with a view of mt arenal and the staff are very friendly and helpful. Loved the private jacuzzi and the waterfall shower! The morning breakfast was an incredible buffet and delicious! Special thanks to Daniel, Tatiana, Yerily and Johan for their wonderful, friendly and kind service and hospitality! I stayed in the junior suite, which is not as luxurious as the master suite, but very well equipped and affordable ! Again, my sincere thanks and gratitude!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012 via mobile

It has gorgeous view of volcano and the grounds are filled with birds and beautiful gardens, it smelled fresh and was private and peaceful. Staff were generally friendly especially Johan he took us on incredible hiking tours that were perfectly tailored to our interest he went way above and beyond to make our trip great!!! The only thing I can't be positive about is the food it was too expensive and terrible in the main restaurant and they sneak in a $4.00 bottle of water without asking then add lots of service charges and still include a line for more tip, not very Codta Rican. I had one entree and a soup and salad two glasses of wine $72USD!!!! Never again I ate locally the rest of the trip. It would have been perfect if they would really do something about the restaurant!

• Stayed June 2012
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

Had a 3 night stay here and really enjoyed it. Staff is pleasant and helpful. We were handed refreshing drinks upon arrival and quickly delivered to our room. Rooms are private and comfortable. The rock shower is awesome (it even came with a live frog)! Pool area is modest, but really nice with a swim up bar. We enjoyed the breakfast buffet. We would definitely stay here again, especially at this price point.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Jensen beach , fl
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

I have been traveling to Costa Rica for 20 years. I have visited all the hot spring hotels such as tabacon, baldi, and the springs. I have found this hotel to be the very best value for the money. Each casita is nestled in a lush rainforest setting and you don,t see the other casitas. It is like walking through the garden of eden. Each porch has a hot tub and rocking chairs that face the volcano. You can watch the humming birds in the lush fauna as the sun sets on the volcano. The rooms were spacious and had great tico charm. The bathrooms were awesome with rock waterfall showers and plants. I could live in this bathroom! The kids and I loved the hot pools with the swim up bar that views the volcano. The food at the restaurant was very good and the waiters were very attentive. If they saw me looking for something they were right there to get it. They also joked with my children and taught them Spanish. They even brought them special deserts. The owner should be very proud of the fine young gentleman that work there. We also booked trips such as rafting and the office staff were very gracious. You can stay here for 1/3 the price of the other hotels and buy a day pass to the other hot springs such as baldi for about $31. Also other hotels charge extra for each child this place does not. That is more money in your pocket to enjoy the many adventures in this exotic town. I can,t wait to come back. Until then I will hold many great memories of this place!

Room Tip: You can rent a room with a private pool too.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Lincoln, Nebraska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

We stayed at Hotel Mountain Paradise in May 2012, during the beginning of the rainy season. We were greeted with moist towels and a fruit drink when we first arrived and we were taken with our luggage to our room in a gator. Our room was a bit of a walk from the reservation area, but it was nice and private. We had great views of the volcano from our porch (we just had the basic room). The breakfast was excellent--an omlet station, gallo pinto, potatoes, fresh fruit, sausage, fruit drinks, and coffee. One of the main reasons we picked this hotel was the free shuttle service to town. Because we didn't drive, this really saved a lot in cab fees (about $10 or $15 from the hotel to town). But, the shuttle stops at about 5:30 p.m., which caused us to eat supper every night at about 4:15 or so--I think the restaurant at the hotel was probably good, but it was really expensive so we didn't try it for lunch or supper. Arenal Koita is a restaurant just outside the hotel and belongs to the hotel. It serves tipical meals and has good views of the volcano and the prices are pretty reasonable. This is a good option if you want to eat near the hotel. Our hot tub on the porch didn't really get hot enough--more or less luke warm. The waterfalls shower was neat but probably not too practical--we just used the shower in our room. The AC was the coldest we had in CR. There were a few downfalls: (1) I wish the shuttle ran into the night at least an hour or so longer; (2) we had 3 frogs join us in the shower during a heavy rain storm--I think this was just because it was such a heavy rain. We only had this issue one night even though it rained other nights. There were also some cockroaches and other bugs. I know we were in the rainforest, but our hotels elsehwere in the rainforest did not have this issue.; (3) There was not a minifridge in our room. It gets really hot during the day and you look forward to having a nice cold water, etc. in your room when you return. They give you a tiny (maybe 40 oz) can of ice on request, but this is not enough. So, we went to the local supermarket and bought a styrofoam cooler for $8 and the hotel filled that with ice for us. This worked really well. All in all, Mountain Paradise was a good hotel and value and the staff was very helpful and energetic.

Baltimore, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

The rooms and accommodations were great, as was the view. Our room, room 102, was next to the pool but was still very private. The place itself was gated in, and off the main road unlike many of the other nice hotels. They definitely try to keep you in and eat their food and use their services. The problem we found was we could never get served food. We went to the pool bar, and no bartender was there. We looked at the menu for dinner and saw it was very expensive, roughly 20$ for an entree as I remember. I tried to get the free breakfast, arrived at 9:29 and the man would not seat me because they stop serving at 9:30 (although he had just sat a couple)-- then, he said I had to wait until 11:30 for any food again because there is only one restaurant, I was upset about that. The rooms have no fridge or ice bucket, so we couldn't keep anything in our room, which was a bummer. The hotel looks over the Arenal Volcano, but is on the wayward side, so there is lots of rain. If you take a ride to the lake side, you will find lots more sun. The Pool is nice that it is heated by the volcano's geothermal heat, so you can go in the pool in the rain. Also you can take long hot showers in their amazing waterfall showers :)

Hollywood, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

All I have to say is that this place was an amazing stay. The rooms were clean when we arrived and everytime we left during the day the housekeepers would come by and clean the room. The bed was not very comfortable to me but I think it all depends on your personal prefrence. There was a free breakfast buffet every morning from 6:30am to 9:30 and the food was delicious (loved the omelette station). The hotel staff were very helpful in helping us select our tours. They also offer international calls at $5 per day which I thought was an amazing deal. The entire staff was friendly and I would definately recommend anyone to stay here.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Mountain Paradise? Share your experiences!